The Chinese Economy: What Goes Up, Must Come Down.  Apparently.
Posted: 05 July 2012 07:35 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3028
Joined  2010-04-26

Link

This is interesting, and more than a little worrisome, if true.  What think ye?

Signature 

“In the end nature is horrific and teaches us nothing.” -Mutual of Omicron

Posted: 05 July 2012 08:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  1191
Joined  2011-08-01

I think it was inevitable. 10% growth is not sustainable, even in an emerging market. I remember reading last year about the new “ghost cities.” This could be very, very bad for the world economy.

Signature 

Free in Kentucky
—Humanist
“I am patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it.”—Edith Sitwell

Posted: 05 July 2012 08:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  1191
Joined  2011-08-01

Wow. Do a Google image search on “China ghost cities”. Incredible.

Signature 

Free in Kentucky
—Humanist
“I am patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it.”—Edith Sitwell

Posted: 07 July 2012 12:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  4297
Joined  2010-08-15

[Holly cow turd : smiley] the world seems insaner everyday.

The business model at work?
http://www.wnd.com/2012/07/bizarre-chinas-eerie-ghost-cities-arise/

Signature 

How many times do lies need to be exposed
before we have permission to trash them?

Posted: 07 July 2012 01:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

An interesting and comprehensive article, however, it failed to mention one possible factor that could have a major effect on China’s economy, and those of the rest of the world’s nations.  While U.S. businesses who outsource to China or other countries would scream, in the event that Obama and a Democratic congress gets elected, there’s the chance that small tariffs would be imposed on imports of items that could be manufactured here.  This would have a number of positive results.  First, it would be an incentive for U.S. companies to hire more employees here, reducing the unemployment rate drastically.  Second, it would be a nice source of income for the government helping it reduce the national debt and possibly fund some of the services that have been severely curtailed. 

China would probably have to respond by lowering the value of their currency, and I haven’t bothered to figure out what effects this would have on their banking system and their economy, but it would be great.

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 07 July 2012 04:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Total Posts:  4576
Joined  2008-08-14
Occam. - 07 July 2012 01:27 PM

An interesting and comprehensive article, however, it failed to mention one possible factor that could have a major effect on China’s economy, and those of the rest of the world’s nations.  While U.S. businesses who outsource to China or other countries would scream, in the event that Obama and a Democratic congress gets elected, there’s the chance that small tariffs would be imposed on imports of items that could be manufactured here.  This would have a number of positive results.  First, it would be an incentive for U.S. companies to hire more employees here, reducing the unemployment rate drastically.  Second, it would be a nice source of income for the government helping it reduce the national debt and possibly fund some of the services that have been severely curtailed. 

China would probably have to respond by lowering the value of their currency, and I haven’t bothered to figure out what effects this would have on their banking system and their economy, but it would be great.

Occam

Bravo Occam, Bravo! The cost benefit analysis of our hyper trade with China is still being analyzed.
People need to wake up and stop heralding the wonders of cheap goods that flood our markets.  Most of those goods are of super-low quality.(some are toxic by golley!)
The Banker/Merchant elite want to turn us all into under-educated, automatons who shop at Wal-Mart and work at Wal-mart or some other place for $9.50/hr. No health insurance. 
Somebody is getting rich off of trade with China.  The rest of us are going to have to be content with glow in the dark flip-flops and crappy junk that doesn’t work.

Signature 

Row row row your boat gently down the stream.  Merrily Merrily merrily merrily life is but a dream!

Posted: 07 July 2012 10:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Total Posts:  1283
Joined  2011-03-12

People need to wake up and stop heralding the wonders of cheap goods that flood our markets.  Most of those goods are of super-low quality.(some are toxic by golley!)

Like the gypsum based wallboards which had formaldyhyde in it. Don’t forget the baby milk scandal with the melemine in it either. (Apologies for anything I mis-spelled.)

One of the big complaints I get from customers is that so much comes from China that it makes it difficult if not impossible to “buy American.” Some tell me it’s a deal breaker and that they’ll just go somewhere else. They usually come back when they find that the situation is no different with my esteemed competitor!

Signature 

Question authority and think for yourself. Big Brother does not know best and never has.

Posted: 07 July 2012 11:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Total Posts:  4576
Joined  2008-08-14
Equal Opportunity Curmudgeon - 07 July 2012 10:25 PM

Like the gypsum based wallboards which had formaldyhyde in it. Don’t forget the baby milk scandal with the melemine in it either. (Apologies for anything I mis-spelled.)

One of the big complaints I get from customers is that so much comes from China that it makes it difficult if not impossible to “buy American.” Some tell me it’s a deal breaker and that they’ll just go somewhere else. They usually come back when they find that the situation is no different with my esteemed competitor!

Yup and the poisonous dogfood too. I have said it before here on this forum, I will gladly pay 30-50% more for American products.  It’s usually worth it.
I will also gladly buy Canadian, British, German products and some others.  They have high standards, good quality control and aren’t just now launching their industrial development.
So for me, it’s not just Buy American; Chinese and other nations products are just junk. You’re seeing it more and more in the reviews section of Amazon and other places.

Signature 

Row row row your boat gently down the stream.  Merrily Merrily merrily merrily life is but a dream!

Posted: 08 July 2012 12:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Joined  2010-08-15
Equal Opportunity Curmudgeon - 07 July 2012 10:25 PM

Oh gosh, you’ve reminded me there’s worse than formaldyhyde in some of that Chinese Shitrock.

UPDATE: Is Chinese Drywall Radioactive?
UPDATE: EPA finds suspect materials in foreign drywall
http://www.chinesedrywalltoxic.com/chinese-drywall-facts/

Toxic Chinese Drywall Creates A Housing Disaster
NPR ~ by Greg Allen
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=114182073

Mind you, this is sort of yesterday’s news and I would hope it’s no longer an issue, but it’s a lesson.  And if they can build huge cities with no intention of anyone living in them… well heck, what else might they be capable of.

Signature 

Posted: 08 July 2012 04:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

If they’re using sheetrock that releases formaldehyde in the living spaces of their own workers that would be very clever.  Since it would take quite a few years for the formaldehyde effects to be seen, it could mean that workers would be dying off just a short while before they would retire, thus saving the government huge amounts of pension and mendical costs.  snake  LOL

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 09 July 2012 08:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Joined  2010-04-26

Even the stuff made in America is made from parts made in China.  Which I why I only buy products made in North Korea.  Glory to the Eternal Leader!

http://www.madeinnorthkorea.com/images/flag_logo.jpg

Also, North Korea’s economy grew!  Huzzah!  *Starts singing Onwards Toward the Final Victory*

[ Edited: 09 July 2012 08:47 AM by Dead Monky ]
 Signature 

Posted: 11 September 2012 11:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2012-09-11
FreeInKy - 05 July 2012 08:32 AM

Wow. Do a Google image search on “China ghost cities”. Incredible.

Yeah, saw a documentary about that. It’s really weird that they put up something like this. They say this is somewhat related to Agenda 21, were they are working on everybody to live in cities and getting them out of the wilderness. Maybe, this is what they are for?

Posted: 09 October 2012 06:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2012-10-09

It is possible China’s economy is in for a hard landing, but the long-term growth picture is real.

It is still a nation composed of 1/2 peasants, meaning economic growth shouldn’t be too hard. Just putting someone from the fields onto an assembly line vastly increases that worker’s productivity.

Developed nations, by contrast, have no more easy labor gains to make. They have to increase their economies by developing new technologies or new ways of doing business.

Developing nations grow fast because they don’t have to rely on innovation for growth. All they need to do is get people off farms into factories.

China still has some way to go before it looses that advantage.

Posted: 11 October 2012 09:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Total Posts:  1765
Joined  2007-10-22
JackRyan - 09 October 2012 06:34 AM

It is possible China’s economy is in for a hard landing, but the long-term growth picture is real.

It is still a nation composed of 1/2 peasants, meaning economic growth shouldn’t be too hard. Just putting someone from the fields onto an assembly line vastly increases that worker’s productivity.

Developed nations, by contrast, have no more easy labor gains to make. They have to increase their economies by developing new technologies or new ways of doing business.

Developing nations grow fast because they don’t have to rely on innovation for growth. All they need to do is get people off farms into factories.

China still has some way to go before it looses that advantage.

One point everyone seems to miss in these analyses is that it is much cheaper to build new facilities on green field sites than to modernize existing plants where they stand; particularly when they can be built in countries where environmental regulations are non-existent or not enforced.  This was one of major reasons for the industrial abandonment of the NE US.

Signature 

Gary the Human

All the Gods and all religions are created by humans, to meet human needs and accomplish human ends.

Posted: 17 October 2012 06:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Joined  2010-08-15

Don’t worry!  It’s all under control.  Listen to this Oppenheimer Funds portfolio manager put all your worries to rest.
Are China’s Ghost Towns a Reason to Run? (Bloomberg, 6/18)

Then again. . . . . . .
chinabuild_ret.jpg?w=620

buildings-fall-over-sideways-and-are-sometimes-intact.jpg

What ‘China doubters’ have wrong about its ghost cities: Stephen Roach

Mamta Badkar, Business Insider | Aug 29, 2012 2:30 PM ET

I luv them financial experts, don’t you?

PS
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQXKpcxQ6riZbQPkx4Trc34xggvv2NmWUR65Mcg5UfAgaKD3UAG6Q

[ Edited: 17 October 2012 06:24 PM by citizenschallenge.pm ]
 Signature 

Posted: 18 October 2012 07:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Joined  2010-04-26

Just like Dubai!

Also, I love that last pic. LOL

Signature