1 of 3
What kind of atheist are you?
Posted: 05 July 2012 09:14 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1191
Joined  2011-08-01

PZ Meyers is at it again, trying to herd the cats into one of 4 stalls.  LOL

I see four major categories of thoughtful atheists: scientific atheists, philosophical atheists, political atheists, and humanists.

He goes on to describe each category and I must say that while he places himself squarely among the scientific atheists, he is pretty even handed in identifying the strengths and weaknesses of each.

So what do y’all think? As I read through each category, I said to myself, “Yes, that’s me.” Truth is, I have never been one to fit neatly into categories of any kind. I consider myself a Humanist, but not by Meyers’ definition. By his taxonomy, I’m somewhere between a scientific and philosophical atheist, with a good measure of the other two as well.

Signature 

Free in Kentucky
—Humanist
“I am patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it.”—Edith Sitwell

Posted: 05 July 2012 10:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  5187
Joined  2010-06-16

Let’s see, there are four colors: red, yellow, green and blue.  Spectrum????  Range????  Continuum????  Are you crazy, there are only FOUR.

I get a kick out of people trying to stick people into one of a few pigeonholes.

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 05 July 2012 10:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  90
Joined  2012-04-24

I’m definitely a scientific atheist although I am very interested in what the political atheists are doing.  I might be one of them if I wasn’t so lazy.

Signature 

Dum ratio nos ducet, valebimus et multa bene geremus.

Posted: 05 July 2012 02:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  636
Joined  2012-04-25

Assuming the word “god” even has a meaning (I don’t think it does, we just all act like it does because most of us are of western european descent), then I’d say I’m a scientific atheist.  However, he left out a whole category, I think. Atheists who do evil at every turn. Seems we always assume atheists are somehow moral through some other sense. But look at the likes of Karl Rove. He’d definitely be considered a Politcal Atheist but certainly doesn’t do anything positive in terms of what PZ Meyers described in this category.

Posted: 05 July 2012 09:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  2588
Joined  2011-04-24

As much as I dislike Myers, I can mostly agree on those four stripes of atheists.  He’s leaving out a lot though.

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 05 July 2012 10:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Total Posts:  7641
Joined  2008-04-11
Occam. - 05 July 2012 10:36 AM

Let’s see, there are four colors: red, yellow, green and blue.  Spectrum????  Range????  Continuum????  Are you crazy, there are only FOUR.

I get a kick out of people trying to stick people into one of a few pigeonholes.

Occam

That’s what I thought. I can’t see where I fit into any of those slots….and he left out sooo many bad or stupid reasons people become atheists.

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 05 July 2012 11:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Total Posts:  695
Joined  2007-10-14

`
PZ Myers, the guy who thinks that “lacking belief” isn’t ‘enough’ for one to call oneself an atheist.

Let’s just say that I’m not surprised that his category breakdown of atheists is woefully inept :)

(a person is either a ‘scientific atheist’ OR a ‘humanist’? right, those never happen simultaneously! WTF?)

`

Signature 

‘we are so fundamentally constituted of desire that we go on hearing music…...even though we know the band is gone and the stage is silent’

Posted: 06 July 2012 12:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Total Posts:  2588
Joined  2011-04-24
asanta - 05 July 2012 10:59 PM
Occam. - 05 July 2012 10:36 AM

Occam

That’s what I thought. I can’t see where I fit into any of those slots….and he left out sooo many bad or stupid reasons people become atheists.

What are they?

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 06 July 2012 04:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  234
Joined  2011-09-13
FreeInKy - 05 July 2012 09:14 AM

PZ Meyers is at it again, trying to herd the cats into one of 4 stalls.  LOL

I see four major categories of thoughtful atheists: scientific atheists, philosophical atheists, political atheists, and humanists.

He goes on to describe each category and I must say that while he places himself squarely among the scientific atheists, he is pretty even handed in identifying the strengths and weaknesses of each.

So what do y’all think? As I read through each category, I said to myself, “Yes, that’s me.” Truth is, I have never been one to fit neatly into categories of any kind. I consider myself a Humanist, but not by Meyers’ definition. By his taxonomy, I’m somewhere between a scientific and philosophical atheist, with a good measure of the other two as well.

I am always amused when we try to label ourselves or others and the worst of all labels are only one word.  Could it be we think labels make us better or worse?  To me you are what you say you and you don’t have to show you are better at what your are with a label or anything else.

Posted: 06 July 2012 05:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Total Posts:  2886
Joined  2011-08-15

Uh, let’s see I’m a political atheist, no a secular humanist, uh wait a minute, no a philosophical atheist, nope I’m now a scientific atheist, been reading a lot of Dawkins, OMG too many choices. must fit myself into one of these categories or Meyers may think my atheism is just an intellectual dodge and what will my colleagues think of my hesitation? OMG so many choices! Hmmm, ok, I’ll pick one and two, no three and four. Oh, what the hell, I’ll pick em all. Better to spread the risk.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 06 July 2012 05:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Total Posts:  1191
Joined  2011-08-01
Thevillageatheist - 06 July 2012 05:16 AM

Uh, let’s see I’m a political atheist, no a secular humanist, uh wait a minute, no a philosophical atheist, nope I’m now a scientific atheist, been reading a lot of Dawkins, OMG too many choices. must fit myself into one of these categories or Meyers may think my atheism is just an intellectual dodge and what will my colleagues think of my hesitation? OMG so many choices! Hmmm, ok, I’ll pick one and two, no three and four. Oh, what the hell, I’ll pick em all. Better to spread the risk.

That’s pretty much what my thought process was as I read through the categories.

Signature 

Free in Kentucky
—Humanist
“I am patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it.”—Edith Sitwell

Posted: 06 July 2012 08:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Total Posts:  1283
Joined  2011-03-12

So what do y’all think?

Overthinking the problem perhaps? At it’s core, atheism is a lack of belief in any deity. Of course, we all know that much. Beyond that, those who lack belief in deity have opinions which are just as mixed up and variable as those who DO have such a belief, and that can include beliefs in such things as an afterlife and/or reincarnation.

it just doesn’t follow from being atheist/agnostic that one is also a rationalist.

Signature 

Question authority and think for yourself. Big Brother does not know best and never has.

Posted: 06 July 2012 08:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  25
Joined  2012-06-04

I think he is coming at it as a blogger and using what various atheist bloggers (esp. those on FtB) like to talk about and bicker over as his criterion.  I think that is fair enough.  As with most taxonomies, it is a useful exercise, but it is lines drawn through a horrific mess (if it weren’t a horrific mess, you wouldn’t need a taxonomy).  I think of the types as axes or “attractors” rather than boxes.  And he is just focusing on atheists who are “within the pale”, who have legitimate differences of emphasis and opinion.  He could, for example, include Ayn Rand devotees, but who really cares why they might have a difference of opinion.

Me, I probably tend to the Scientific and Humanist ends.

[ Edited: 06 July 2012 08:44 AM by Apxeo ]
 Signature 

Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum (Ambrose Bierce)

Posted: 09 July 2012 08:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Total Posts:  3024
Joined  2010-04-26

I’m a cynic who just happens to also be an atheist.

Signature 

“In the end nature is horrific and teaches us nothing.” -Mutual of Omicron

Posted: 09 July 2012 08:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Total Posts:  2886
Joined  2011-08-15

I’m a cynic who just happens to also be an atheist.

DM, I think pretty much everyone here is too, a cynic I mean. And most are an (fill in blank here) humanist/atheist.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 09 July 2012 08:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Total Posts:  3024
Joined  2010-04-26

True.  I’m just crabby and have sand in my vajayjay today.  Hey!  That rhymes!

Signature 

“In the end nature is horrific and teaches us nothing.” -Mutual of Omicron

1 of 3