RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1191
Joined  2011-08-01

Good one, from Being LiberalLOL

561836_10150674450361275_384964429_n.jpg

Signature 

Free in Kentucky
—Humanist
“I am patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it.”—Edith Sitwell

Posted: 05 July 2012 02:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  756
Joined  2012-04-25

Good one. So what would Obama be? I’m trying to think if there’s a particle that looks just like one thing (a liberal Dem) but acts just like its opposite (a con Repub).

Posted: 06 July 2012 05:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Joined  2011-08-01
CuthbertJ - 05 July 2012 02:24 PM

Good one. So what would Obama be? I’m trying to think if there’s a particle that looks just like one thing (a liberal Dem) but acts just like its opposite (a con Repub).

I think that’s grossly unfair. I get your point. I get frustrated when Obama strays far from his base. But to call him a conservative Republican is a huge stretch.

Signature 

Free in Kentucky
—Humanist
“I am patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it.”—Edith Sitwell

Posted: 06 July 2012 07:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  1283
Joined  2011-03-12

Sounds like any other politician regardless of the party affiliation or idealogy they pay lip service to. It’s one of the reasons I ignore the speeches, stumping, and soundbytes. Their faces change with the shifting of the winds and the real person either isn’t there or is carefully hidden.

Signature 

Question authority and think for yourself. Big Brother does not know best and never has.

Posted: 06 July 2012 10:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Joined  2012-04-25
FreeInKy - 06 July 2012 05:51 AM

I think that’s grossly unfair. I get your point. I get frustrated when Obama strays far from his base. But to call him a conservative Republican is a huge stretch.

I don’t think so. On more than one occasion he’s literally said “this is a republican idea, why are you guys fighting against it”. The Individual Mandate is one example.  Obamacare in general is another. It’s one big handout to the insurance companies…straight from the Republicon playbook, Fox lies notwithstanding. He wants to privatize education - Republicon. He continues with Afg/Iraq - Republicon. Just on and on.  I voted for him btw, so it’s not like I say these things coming from the right. I just feel let down at every single turn.

Posted: 06 July 2012 10:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Joined  2012-04-25
Equal Opportunity Curmudgeon - 06 July 2012 07:58 AM

Sounds like any other politician regardless of the party affiliation or idealogy they pay lip service to. It’s one of the reasons I ignore the speeches, stumping, and soundbytes. Their faces change with the shifting of the winds and the real person either isn’t there or is carefully hidden.

I think you nailed the bottom line. Almost by definition they blow with the wind. What I find silly is how the pundits treat speeches, etc. so seriously.

Posted: 06 July 2012 02:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Total Posts:  3154
Joined  2011-08-15

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150884596046275&set=a.10150884651351275.408231.177486166274&type=1&theater;

Here’s a classic example; the voting public will believe what the propagandists tell them.They don’t look for the facts, just sound bites and urban legend emails filled with hot button issues. Jesus would be stoned by those among us who profess to follow his philosophy.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 06 July 2012 09:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Total Posts:  4576
Joined  2008-08-14

Cuthbert-

I don’t think so. On more than one occasion he’s literally said “this is a republican idea, why are you guys fighting against it”. The Individual Mandate is one example.  Obamacare in general is another. It’s one big handout to the insurance companies…straight from the Republicon playbook, Fox lies notwithstanding. He wants to privatize education - Republicon. He continues with Afg/Iraq - Republicon. Just on and on.  I voted for him btw, so it’s not like I say these things coming from the right. I just feel let down at every single turn.

If you’ll allow me, quit being so fickle.  That’s one reason no policy or party can get traction in this country.  The voters are too fickle.  Vote for Obama again please. 
Telling insurers they can’t have conditions and allowing people to remain on their folks insurance isn’t exactly a handout.
For all we know, it could be the beginning of the nationalization of insurance and real reform.  Change sometimes has to happen in stages.
I don’t recall him stumping for the privatization of schools.
Afghan/Iraq is another matter. That’s complicated. I didn’t support either conflict-except with my taxes.

Signature 

Row row row your boat gently down the stream.  Merrily Merrily merrily merrily life is but a dream!

Posted: 06 July 2012 09:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Total Posts:  1283
Joined  2011-03-12

I think you nailed the bottom line. Almost by definition they blow with the wind. What I find silly is how the pundits treat speeches, etc. so seriously.

What can I say? It’s all hot air to me. All grandstanding and no substance.

On the rare occasions when these blokes gat their act together, they rarely solve any problems but they’re brilliant in the ways they manage to find to make the existing ones worse.

Groucho Marx got it right when he said that politics was the art of ” looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying all the wrong remedies!”

Signature 

Question authority and think for yourself. Big Brother does not know best and never has.

Posted: 07 July 2012 05:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Joined  2011-08-01
VYAZMA - 06 July 2012 09:43 PM

That’s one reason no policy or party can get traction in this country.  The voters are too fickle.  Vote for Obama again please. 
Telling insurers they can’t have conditions and allowing people to remain on their folks insurance isn’t exactly a handout.
For all we know, it could be the beginning of the nationalization of insurance and real reform.  Change sometimes has to happen in stages.
I don’t recall him stumping for the privatization of schools.
Afghan/Iraq is another matter. That’s complicated. I didn’t support either conflict-except with my taxes.

Agree with all of the above.

Signature 

Free in Kentucky
—Humanist

Posted: 28 July 2012 09:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Total Posts:  2423
Joined  2007-09-03

I think the “Schrodinger’s Candidate” line applies to all politicians.

In particular—you won’t really know their position until after the election.

Posted: 30 July 2012 09:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Total Posts:  3052
Joined  2011-11-04
Jackson - 28 July 2012 09:50 AM

I think the “Schrodinger’s Candidate” line applies to all politicians.

In particular—you won’t really know their position until after the election.

Sure all politicians say things they hope will help them get elected, or say them in a way that they hope will get them elected.  But this is a matter of degree.  The Shrodinger metaphor applies acutely to Romney way more than most.

Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

Posted: 30 July 2012 09:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Total Posts:  3052
Joined  2011-11-04

The first Presidential candidate that I ever voted for was Richard Nixon.  And I voted for him, specifically because I thought his opponent, McGovern, was “wishy washy” and I didn’t want a President who could not stand by his decisions. Terms like “wishy washy” and “flip flopper” are inadequate to describe Romney’s level of duplicity.

Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

Posted: 03 August 2012 04:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Total Posts:  1764
Joined  2007-10-22
TimB - 30 July 2012 09:19 PM

The first Presidential candidate that I ever voted for was Richard Nixon.  And I voted for him, specifically because I thought his opponent, McGovern, was “wishy washy” and I didn’t want a President who could not stand by his decisions. Terms like “wishy washy” and “flip flopper” are inadequate to describe Romney’s level of duplicity.

Nixon would probably be considered a liberal by the Reps. today.

Signature 

Gary the Human

All the Gods and all religions are created by humans, to meet human needs and accomplish human ends.

Posted: 03 August 2012 04:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Total Posts:  3154
Joined  2011-08-15

Total Posts:  863
Joined  2011-11-04

Interesting Tim, Nixon was the first candidate I voted against! I backed McGovern for his opposition to the Vietnam War and his bill to limit defense spending. I found him anything but wishy-washy though. For instance, he stood before the entire Senate and denounced them for sending in our troops to be killed and maimed making this the “rich man’s war and a poor man’s fight”. But today he would be viewed as a conservative due to his economic stance. This plus the fact that his running mate had been institutionalized temporarily, lost him the election but I do agree that Romney is the poster child of duplicity.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 03 August 2012 06:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

Someone sent me this.
A woman was playing golf when she took a big swing and fell.
The party waiting behind her was a group from the campaign trail that included Mitt Romney.  Romney quickly stepped forward and helped her to her feet.
She thanked him and started to leave, when he said, “I’m Mitt Romney and I hope you’ll vote for me this November.”
She laughed and said, “I fell on my ass, not on my head!”

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

1 of 2