1 of 2
Is becoming like God good or evil?
Posted: 05 July 2012 01:39 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  604
Joined  2011-08-10

I would like to restrict giving God any other attribute except for knowing good and evil in this thread. Just for simplicity.

I have two quotes I would like you to consider.

“Behold, the man has become like one of Us, to know good and evil.”

“Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.”

Knowing good and evil is the same as developing or gaining a moral sense. This is something that all governments and religions wish to develop in us and seems like a good idea to me.

If being perfect like God means that we must have the knowledge of good and evil, then Adam and Eve had to eat of the tree of knowledge——if they were to accomplish what most seem to think is a worthy goal. Morals. As God says in Eden, such is to have your eyes opened. A good thing IOW.

In the Jewish view, A & E did the right thing and they name it our elevation. In the Christian view, they did the wrong thing and call it our fall.

Is becoming as Gods, in the moral sense, good or evil?

If evil, please explain what is evil about developing a moral sense and following scriptures that tell us to be as Gods.

Regards
DL

Posted: 05 July 2012 01:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  763
Joined  2012-04-25

Depends on what you mean by “god”.  Sounds like you’re refering to the Christian god as described in the man-made stories of their bible.  If that’s the case, I’d lean towards evil, since she seems to be vague, endorses slavery, leaving your family for some wandering prophet, etc. All bad by any measure.  If you mean the god/gods of several native american tribes, then maybe good. Many (I’m told, I’m certainly no expert) emphasized sharing, community, NOT slavery, NOT breaking up families, etc.

Oh ya, and the christian god evidently leads people to covet other peoples land through brute force, killing, and slavery, as if it was their “manifest destiny” to have those lands. Again, evil by all acounts.

[ Edited: 05 July 2012 01:49 PM by CuthbertJ ]

Posted: 05 July 2012 03:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Joined  2011-08-10
CuthbertJ - 05 July 2012 01:47 PM

Depends on what you mean by “god”.  Sounds like you’re refering to the Christian god as described in the man-made stories of their bible.  If that’s the case, I’d lean towards evil, since she seems to be vague, endorses slavery, leaving your family for some wandering prophet, etc. All bad by any measure.  If you mean the god/gods of several native american tribes, then maybe good. Many (I’m told, I’m certainly no expert) emphasized sharing, community, NOT slavery, NOT breaking up families, etc.

Oh ya, and the christian god evidently leads people to covet other peoples land through brute force, killing, and slavery, as if it was their “manifest destiny” to have those lands. Again, evil by all acounts.

You critiqued the whole of the bible and I do not disagree. It is definitely an immoral theology.

I was looking more to know if the moral sense that we came out of Eden with, if we analyse the myth, was good or evil for us. As I said, the Jews say yes while the Christians reverse it to a no.

Regards
DL

Posted: 06 July 2012 05:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  1191
Joined  2011-08-01

Is becoming like the Easter Bunny good or evil? Because I would like to do that. What about becoming like a Leprechaun?  LOL

Signature 

Free in Kentucky
—Humanist
“I am patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it.”—Edith Sitwell

Posted: 06 July 2012 10:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  763
Joined  2012-04-25
Greatest I am - 05 July 2012 03:56 PM

You critiqued the whole of the bible and I do not disagree. It is definitely an immoral theology.

I was looking more to know if the moral sense that we came out of Eden with, if we analyse the myth, was good or evil for us. As I said, the Jews say yes while the Christians reverse it to a no.

Regards
DL

Sounds like you want to have your cake and eat it too. If you agree with me that it’s an immoral theology, then why the discussion about various myths therein?

Posted: 06 July 2012 12:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  287
Joined  2011-09-13
Greatest I am - 05 July 2012 01:39 PM

I would like to restrict giving God any other attribute except for knowing good and evil in this thread. Just for simplicity.

I have two quotes I would like you to consider.

“Behold, the man has become like one of Us, to know good and evil.”

“Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.”

Knowing good and evil is the same as developing or gaining a moral sense. This is something that all governments and religions wish to develop in us and seems like a good idea to me.

If being perfect like God means that we must have the knowledge of good and evil, then Adam and Eve had to eat of the tree of knowledge——if they were to accomplish what most seem to think is a worthy goal. Morals. As God says in Eden, such is to have your eyes opened. A good thing IOW.

In the Jewish view, A & E did the right thing and they name it our elevation. In the Christian view, they did the wrong thing and call it our fall.

Is becoming as Gods, in the moral sense, good or evil?

If evil, please explain what is evil about developing a moral sense and following scriptures that tell us to be as Gods.

Regards
DL

One has to believe in a god to even conceive of becoming like “god.”  We all learn what our societies call “the norms” from our parents and others around us.  We learn what society calls good and bad, or good and evil if you wish.  The good and evil we learn requires no god so if you wanted to pretend you could become “god like” good and evil would have nothing to do with your fantasy.

Posted: 07 July 2012 05:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Joined  2011-08-10
CuthbertJ - 06 July 2012 10:49 AM
Greatest I am - 05 July 2012 03:56 PM

Regards
DL

Sounds like you want to have your cake and eat it too. If you agree with me that it’s an immoral theology, then why the discussion about various myths therein?

To correct the morals of those who think it is not a myth and who think God acted in a moral way.

Regards
DL

Posted: 07 July 2012 06:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Joined  2011-08-10
deros - 06 July 2012 12:33 PM

[

One has to believe in a god to even conceive of becoming like “god.”  We all learn what our societies call “the norms” from our parents and others around us.  We learn what society calls good and bad, or good and evil if you wish.  The good and evil we learn requires no god so if you wanted to pretend you could become “god like” good and evil would have nothing to do with your fantasy.

I do not have that fantasy and agree with you on where morals come from.
Believers think God moral but by your definition of their source, God could not be moral because he was always alone.

Have you seen this good clip?

http://blog.ted.com/2008/09/17/the_real_differ/

You will note that the first rule of morality id harm/care of children and God’s first moral decision in scriptures is to plan to have his son needlessly murdered.

No morals in that.

Regards
DL

Posted: 07 July 2012 11:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Total Posts:  2416
Joined  2007-07-05

Neither, It would be becoming more complicated from understanding a bigger picture.

psik

Signature 

Fiziks is Fundamental

Posted: 07 July 2012 12:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  287
Joined  2011-09-13
Greatest I am - 07 July 2012 06:03 AM
deros - 06 July 2012 12:33 PM

[

I do not have that fantasy and agree with you on where morals come from.
Believers think God moral but by your definition of their source, God could not be moral because he was always alone.

Have you seen this good clip?

http://blog.ted.com/2008/09/17/the_real_differ/

You will note that the first rule of morality id harm/care of children and God’s first moral decision in scriptures is to plan to have his son needlessly murdered.

No morals in that.

Regards
DL

Thanks for the link on the TED talk.  I think I can define TED with two words, impressive and educational.

Posted: 08 July 2012 09:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Joined  2011-08-10
psikeyhackr - 07 July 2012 11:28 AM

Neither, It would be becoming more complicated from understanding a bigger picture.

psik

Growing up does make things more complicated yes but it gives more understanding of why things are as they are.

Regards
DL

Posted: 08 July 2012 09:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Joined  2011-08-10
deros - 07 July 2012 12:10 PM

[q

Thanks for the link on the TED talk.  I think I can define TED with two words, impressive and educational.

It is a good site and I would encourage all to peruse their catalog of offerings.
They have taught me much.

Here is another sample.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ezVk1ahRF78

Regards
DL

Posted: 08 July 2012 10:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

I think eveyone’s missed the point of the title of this thread.  The correct answer is: To become like god is to become nonexistent.  LOL

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 08 July 2012 10:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Joined  2011-08-10
Occam. - 08 July 2012 10:44 AM

I think eveyone’s missed the point of the title of this thread.  The correct answer is: To become like god is to become nonexistent.  LOL

Occam

In bible God’s case, I agree.

That is why I like to define God as just a set of rules and laws to follow.
Seeking God to me is just trying to improve on those rules and laws.
That is a never ending process.
The Godhead I know happily gave the same advice.

Regards
DL

Posted: 08 July 2012 10:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

Quoting GIA:

In bible God’s case,

In ALL cases!

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 08 July 2012 11:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Joined  2011-08-10
Occam. - 08 July 2012 10:56 AM

Quoting GIA:

In bible God’s case,

In ALL cases!

Occam

The way we now use that word, no argument.
That is why I like to use Godhead. Just to show the difference, since I see it as being born of man and natural.
In that sense, it too is man-made. Human-made is more exact.

Regards
DL

1 of 2