1 of 17
New voter ID laws politically motivated?
Posted: 09 July 2012 06:24 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3256
Joined  2011-08-15

http://www.npr.org/2012/02/02/146265421/more-voter-id-proposals-introduced-across-the-nation

Over a dozen states are passing a law that will effect the outcome of the presidential election by attempting to disenfranchise tens of thousands of minority voters, the elderly and the youth. The justification is “voter fraud” which has been found to be minimal to say the least. These bills have all been sponsored by the Republican majorities in the states effected and if passed will effect the election as these are considered swing states with enough electoral votes to defeat President Obama’s reelection bid. The NAACP and other groups vow to fight the bills.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 09 July 2012 06:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  2715
Joined  2011-04-24

I don’t know….

what’s the big problem with this? I mean how hard is it to get I.D. in this country?

The whole issue seems like nitpicking.

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 09 July 2012 08:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  1191
Joined  2011-08-01

It’s a solution to a problem that does not exist. Besides, it’s going in the wrong direction. We need to make voting easier, not more difficult. Many countries extend elections over many days, use online voting, instant registration at the polls, and other innovative things to increase participation. Meanwhile, the bastion of freedom and democracy is throwing up barriers to participation.

You bet your ass it’s politically motivated.

Signature 

Free in Kentucky
—Humanist
“I am patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it.”—Edith Sitwell

Posted: 09 July 2012 08:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  3063
Joined  2010-04-26

This is tried practically every election season.  I’m fairly certain I posted a link to a similar article a while before my trip to the Land of Ghosts and Wind.

Signature 

“In the end nature is horrific and teaches us nothing.” -Mutual of Omicron

Posted: 09 July 2012 10:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  816
Joined  2012-04-25

Definitely a concerted right-wing Republicon effort.  I believe it was Lee Atwater who held a conference with Repub stragetists in the late 70s or early 80s saying basically, when people vote, we lose. Therefore we should concentrate on doing whatever it takes to minimize the # of people who vote, especially minorities. 

So so-called voter rights initiatives, voter list cleansing (think Fla 2000) , sending fake polling place flyers, fake robo-calls, etc. are all part of the plan. It’s what happens when one has the “ends justify the means” approach.  Pretty un-American if you ask me.

Posted: 09 July 2012 10:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Total Posts:  350
Joined  2008-09-10

It’s odd that those on the Right favor this kind of law.  It would seem to be yet another way for the government to keep tabs on us, and part of its never-ending quest to control our lives in all respects.

Perhaps all should be required to obtain an ID, or penalized (or taxed, take your pick) if they fail to do so.

Signature 

“Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain.” 
—F. Schiller

http://theblogofciceronianus.blogspot.com

Posted: 09 July 2012 10:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Total Posts:  3349
Joined  2007-11-21

It’s unquestionably an equal protection issue if the government makes no effort to ensure that persons ineligible to vote do not cast votes that get counted.

People love to point out that there’s little proof of voter fraud.  Ever pause to wonder why?  It’s not easy to pinpoint fraud because of the ease of voting, especially absentee ballots.  The lack of proof stems from the same cavalier attitude that extends the franchise to any who claim it.

Florida’s attempts to remove non-citizens from its voter rolls serves as a great example.  The federal government has the most up-to-date database to help determine who is a citizen and who is not.  Yet the federal government refused to share that information with the state of Florida.

Last year, Florida requested access to the Systematic Alien Verification for Entitlements (SAVE) database the state could use to identify non-citizens who are registered to vote in the state, but the federal government has yet to grant Florida access to the database.
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=367_1340853139

http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/304188/judge-wont-block-floridas-voter-rolls-purge-hans-von-spakovsky

Posted: 09 July 2012 10:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Joined  2007-11-21
ciceronianus - 09 July 2012 10:18 AM

It’s odd that those on the Right favor this kind of law.  It would seem to be yet another way for the government to keep tabs on us, and part of its never-ending quest to control our lives in all respects.

That’s a bit of a stretch.  grin

Those on the right expect the government to enforce the law.  The voting booth is the means we use to ultimately establish the law (by installing the lawmakers we choose through our votes).  Fail to enforce voting laws and the entire system loses its legitimacy (to whatever degree the voting laws are breached).

Perhaps all should be required to obtain an ID, or penalized (or taxed, take your pick) if they fail to do so.

Should have been part of the ACA.  wink

Posted: 09 July 2012 10:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Total Posts:  350
Joined  2008-09-10

Absent evidence that requiring an ID disenfranchises those eligible to vote, it would seem a fairly unobjectionable prerequisite.  But I must admit I haven’t looked into what, if any, evidence exists.

Signature 

“Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain.” 
—F. Schiller

http://theblogofciceronianus.blogspot.com

Posted: 09 July 2012 10:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Joined  2011-08-01

Another smokescreen. You really think that people not in this country legally are going to register to vote? Maybe a handful, but no way is that a widespread problem. It’s absurd on its face.

Signature 

Free in Kentucky
—Humanist
“I am patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it.”—Edith Sitwell

Posted: 09 July 2012 10:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Joined  2011-08-01
ciceronianus - 09 July 2012 10:25 AM

Absent evidence that requiring an ID disenfranchises those eligible to vote, it would seem a fairly unobjectionable prerequisite.  But I must admit I haven’t looked into what, if any, evidence exists.

Look at it this way. If you are very poor and live in a dense urban area, you probably don’t have a car or a driver’s license. You probably don’t have a checking account. So there is little need for a state ID card. It’s hard enough to get people to vote. Now you have to convince them to apply for a state ID card to register to vote. Again, to middle class people with easy access to these things, it seems trivial. But it’s not trivial for those most affected by this. And that is precisely why the right is making an issue of it. Because demographically most of these people are not going to vote GOP.

Signature 

Free in Kentucky
—Humanist

Posted: 09 July 2012 10:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Joined  2007-11-21
FreeInKy - 09 July 2012 10:27 AM

Another smokescreen. You really think that people not in this country legally are going to register to vote? Maybe a handful, but no way is that a widespread problem. It’s absurd on its face.

In fact, it’s so absurd that the U.S. government should refuse to provide to the state of Florida the use of its database so that Florida can use the best evidence to find cases where non-citizens are registered to vote.

Am I right or am I right?
grin

Posted: 09 July 2012 03:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Total Posts:  4576
Joined  2008-08-14
mid atlantic - 09 July 2012 06:57 AM

I don’t know….

what’s the big problem with this? I mean how hard is it to get I.D. in this country?

It can be very hard. Waiting in lines, filling out forms, being refused because you can’t find a birth certificate, or SSN card.(both of which require more lines and or correspondence…and money.) And it costs money to get any kind of ID card in this country.
It amounts to a poll tax, and it amounts to unfair burdens on people of lesser means and/or people who are disenfranchised.
Yes, it can be very hard to get ID in this country.  And now they want to make it harder to vote. Kind of an ironic answer to your question, “How hard can it be to get ID in this country.”

Signature 

Row row row your boat gently down the stream.  Merrily Merrily merrily merrily life is but a dream!

Posted: 09 July 2012 06:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Total Posts:  1283
Joined  2011-03-12

I don’t see why requiring an ID should be that big a deal. In the end, all that’s being asked is that one be able to prove that they are who they claim to be. This is done every single day from drivers license issuing to employment applications, and especially with financial transactions.

Signature 

Question authority and think for yourself. Big Brother does not know best and never has.

Posted: 09 July 2012 08:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Total Posts:  2715
Joined  2011-04-24
VYAZMA - 09 July 2012 03:49 PM
mid atlantic - 09 July 2012 06:57 AM

I don’t know….

It can be very hard. Waiting in lines, filling out forms, being refused because you can’t find a birth certificate, or SSN card.(both of which require more lines and or correspondence…and money.) And it costs money to get any kind of ID card in this country.
It amounts to a poll tax, and it amounts to unfair burdens on people of lesser means and/or people who are disenfranchised.
Yes, it can be very hard to get ID in this country.  And now they want to make it harder to vote. Kind of an ironic answer to your question, “How hard can it be to get ID in this country.”

Waiting in lines and filling out forms are things everyone has to do.

And how in the hell can a person not have their birth certificate and SS number at their disposal?

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 10 July 2012 02:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15435
Joined  2006-02-14

The people least likely to have these forms on hand are the poorest and most marginal. These laws effectively disenfranchise them.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

1 of 17