By restricting, not the power of the vote (the voters), but the power of money (unlimited anonymous amounts) in the political process.
Doubtless you’re completely safe from having to provide evidence that public opinion in favor of voter ID laws is substantially affected by unlimited anonymous spending in the political process.
No, I am not. Proof of the effectiveness of spreading lies by PACs is evident. OTOH, proof of voter fraud is practically non-existent.
But for purpose of this discussion I find it remarkable that you would demand extraordinary proof of voter identity while not paying any attention to the hundreds of millions of dolars from ANONYMOUS sources. Should we not ask for transparency (by name) so we can ascertain the source and motive of these donors ? I’d say just a name will do. Can the voters not expect the same courtesy in exercising their Constitutional Right to vote?
I’m not. Maybe you are. Let’s suppose that a proposed law disenfranchises 20 percent of voters yet the other 80 percent favor the law. Why is any conspiracy at all required?
That is by definition a conspiracy to deprive those 20% (or 60%) from casting their vote. The last 3 years are proof that the republicans have expressly conspired to prevent the “majority” from passing laws. Not only is that not democratic, I call it sedition!
Duh Because a democratic system becomes meaningless, if the majority can take away the vote from the minority.
By the same token, a Democratic system is meaningless if a majority can’t take away the vote from the minority. Democracy by definition recognizes some type of primacy for majority rule. So address the question: Given a majority favors a law in a democracy, why is a conspiracy needed in order to effect the law?
Bryan, how you came up with this ridiculous statement escapes me. The majority ‘taking away” the vote from the minority? Why would a true majority need to do that, unless you can prove that the majority of voters are actually the minority who are engaged in a conspiracy to commit voter fraud. What about literacy tests, counting jelly beans in a jar?
It is the minority (Republican) who is preventing the majority (Democrat) from voting!!!
The whole point of voter suppression is to prevent a majority of the people from voting, because they are the majority. This IS the definition of “conspiracy”
You have invented an entirely new definition of majority rule and it does not sound Constitutional or even Democratic to me.
Why not, “we are in the majority now so we shall take away all your constitunional rights unless you can prove by picture ID that you pay taxes”?
Oops, I forgot, the Republican presidential candidate has not provided a full disclosure of his taxes yet!!
For a republican majority run State to demand that Obama (the sitting Democaratic President) himself must provide a “birth certificate” to claim the right to have his name appear on the ballot is a “conspiracy”.