14 of 17
New voter ID laws politically motivated?
Posted: 11 September 2012 08:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 196 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3071
Joined  2011-11-04

http://www.alternet.org/story/153509/gop_voter_suppression_plan:_seven_tactics_to_block_your_vote_in_2012?page=0,0

I suggest reading all 4 pages, if you haven’t already.

Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

Posted: 11 September 2012 09:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 197 ]
Joined  2011-11-04

Polls don’t take into account how effective two years of Republican voter suppression tactics may be by this November.

http://campaignstops.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/08/01/voter-suppression-and-political-polls/

Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

Posted: 12 September 2012 12:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 198 ]
Total Posts:  3349
Joined  2007-11-21
TimB - 11 September 2012 09:55 PM

Polls don’t take into account how effective two years of Republican voter suppression tactics may be by this November.

http://campaignstops.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/08/01/voter-suppression-and-political-polls/

Liberals often fail to take liberal media spin into account.

The tale Blow recounts from Rolling Stone about “100,000 previously eligible ex-felons” is apparently flatly false.  Though Governor Crist adopted a policy of “automatically” restoring civil rights to felons who completed their sentences, a application for restoration of rights was still required.  Many never took advantage of the opportunity.  When Governor Scott revised the policy and implemented a minimum 5-year waiting period for requesting restoration of civil rights, this apparently did not at all affect the voting rights of those whom Crist and his board approved for restoration.  Rolling Stone published bad information, so far as I can tell (and I spent a bit of time looking into it), Blow repeated it, and now it gets repeated here.

Blow apparently laments Florida’s attempt to purge noncitizens from its voter rolls.  But why?  It should only be a problem if it removes legitimate voters from the rolls and ultimately denies them the right to vote (which won’t be the case if they end up getting a provisional ballot counted).

Isn’t it a good thing we have an endless supply of inaccurate articles to post in opposition to voter ID initiatives?  grin

Anybody want to talk about the nuts and ****s (huh?  If either of those was going to get censored I’ve have thought it would be the first one!) of the Brennan Center study?  It’s the linchpin for many of these popular media stories, after all.

Posted: 12 September 2012 10:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 199 ]
Joined  2011-11-04

Another fail safe tactic of Republicans, when faced with supporting an unjustifiable stance, is to simply smear or discredit any opposing evidence, every time any is presented.  All they need to do is drum up enough doubt so that enough people think that it is a debatable issue,

Evolution? Who knows? Global warming? Who knows?  Voter suppression?  Who knows?

Signature 

Posted: 02 October 2012 05:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 200 ]
Total Posts:  4812
Joined  2007-10-05

cc36f3e0ea1f012fef67001dd8b71c47

Signature 

“In the beginning, God created the universe. This has made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.”
Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Posted: 02 October 2012 06:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 201 ]
Total Posts:  6055
Joined  2009-02-26

Chaos allows for unnoticed manipulation.  Already there is a new case of organized Republican voter fraud, perhaps involving hundreds of votes.
http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/opinion-la/la-ol-possible-voter-fraud-shocker-on-behalf-of-the-gop-20121001,0,271245.story?track=rss

[ Edited: 02 October 2012 06:20 AM by Write4U ]
 Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 02 October 2012 12:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 202 ]
Total Posts:  7684
Joined  2008-04-11

Even worse, their shenanigans can put an honest voter at risk for being charged with voter fraud because of a fraudulently changed registration. When the GOP hired them, they already KNEW they had a shady voter registration history, which is why they had them change their name! NOW they are training people to ‘challenge’ voter’s right to vote at the polls—-read that ‘preventing probable Democrats from voting’.

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 02 October 2012 02:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 203 ]
Joined  2007-11-21

No!  No!  No!

Just repeat the mantra!

Voter fraud doesn’t exist.

Spice it up occasionally with:

It’s a solution to a nonexistent problem.

There.  Everyone feel better now?

Posted: 02 October 2012 03:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 204 ]
Total Posts:  4812
Joined  2007-10-05

Bryan, voter fraud does exist, and it is the Republicans committing it.

Signature 

“In the beginning, God created the universe. This has made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.”
Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Posted: 02 October 2012 04:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 205 ]
Joined  2007-11-21
DarronS - 02 October 2012 03:21 PM

Great first step.  Now figure out how to keep the evil Republicans from committing voter fraud.  I suppose you could just kill them all but I’m more hoping for a proposal that would keep Democrats from committing the same fraud in some possible world where that might happen (obviously it never happens in this one).

And here’s more electoral malfeasance (doubtless from those dastardly Republicans again):
http://ohio.mediatrackers.org/2012/10/02/true-the-vote-announces-new-evidence-of-voter-fraud-in-ohio/

[ Edited: 02 October 2012 05:01 PM by Bryan ]

Posted: 02 October 2012 08:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 206 ]
Joined  2008-04-11
DarronS - 02 October 2012 03:21 PM

Overwhelmingly!

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 02 October 2012 08:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 207 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2012-10-02

This is a much easier problem to solve than the media and the lawyers would have us all believe.  You have to register to vote.  As part of that process, states should make available a photo id for people that do not already have a valid form of photo id.  The individual just shows whatever proof of citizenship and residency that they need to show for registration, and they also get a photo ID at the same time (for free).  Problem solved.

The fact that so many states are trying to re-invent the voter id laws is crazy.  The fact that we are a month away from the election and this is still unresolved in so many states is ludicrous. 

I beleive that photo ID laws for voters are the way to go.  However, I’m cynical enough to believe that the only reason Republicans care about the issue is because they believe they can use it to shape the voting block in their favor.  That may be why, even though so many states are pushing voter ID laws, they do not all uniformly make it easy to obtain an ID (which would seem like a no-brainer if your goal was to ensure all eligible voters are able to vote).

Posted: 02 October 2012 10:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 208 ]
Total Posts:  6055
Joined  2009-02-26

Welcome Warren,

I agree with your proposal and look forward to more of your posts.

Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 03 October 2012 01:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 209 ]
Joined  2008-04-11
Warren - 02 October 2012 08:49 PM

This is a much easier problem to solve than the media and the lawyers would have us all believe.  You have to register to vote.  As part of that process, states should make available a photo id for people that do not already have a valid form of photo id.  The individual just shows whatever proof of citizenship and residency that they need to show for registration, and they also get a photo ID at the same time (for free).  Problem solved.

The fact that so many states are trying to re-invent the voter id laws is crazy.  The fact that we are a month away from the election and this is still unresolved in so many states is ludicrous. 

I beleive that photo ID laws for voters are the way to go.  However, I’m cynical enough to believe that the only reason Republicans care about the issue is because they believe they can use it to shape the voting block in their favor.  That may be why, even though so many states are pushing voter ID laws, they do not all uniformly make it easy to obtain an ID (which would seem like a no-brainer if your goal was to ensure all eligible voters are able to vote).

Warren, that they are trying to do it one and two months before the election is insane. I agree that it can be implemented (to solve a nonexistent problem, btw), but it really does appear that this time frame is being used specifically to disenfranchise targeted members of the voting population.
And your solution is far too sane for them to even consider!

Signature 

Posted: 04 October 2012 04:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 210 ]
Total Posts:  348
Joined  2006-11-27

I find it interesting that the party that touts itself as the “party for smaller government”, so desperately wants to institute an expensive, intrusive law in order to solve what is demonstrably a non existent problem.

Signature 

If we’re not laughing, they’re winning.

14 of 17