The Long Walk . . . & fruits of war
Posted: 09 July 2012 09:33 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3796
Joined  2010-08-15

Not everyone can be a good interviewer, it takes a certain mix of brass cahones along with a deep appreciation for humanity.
Maybe it’s just me but this interview seems another example of what it takes to be America’s number one investigative interviewer.

And it reminded of all the flag waving and rahrah war fever of a decade ago.  What silly people we are.  What a tragic waste all around. 
Well, here’s another story of the cascading consequences of greed driven stupidity . . .  thanks for nothing Bush/Cheney/NeoCons.

‘The Life That Follows’ Disarming IEDs In Iraq
http://www.npr.org/2012/07/09/156454241/the-life-that-follows-disarming-ieds-in-iraq
Terry Gross ~ Fresh Air from WHYY
July 9, 2012

Brian Castner arguably had one of the most nerve-wracking jobs in the U.S. military. He commanded two Explosive Ordnance Disposal units in Iraq, where his team disabled roadside IEDs, investigated the aftermath of roadside car bombings and searched door to door to uncover bomb-makers at their homes.
{...}
“In his memoir, The Long Walk, Castner chronicles his three tours in Iraq and the life that followed when he returned home as a different man, unable to forget what he saw or experienced in Iraq. He describes his experiences as “Crazy” — a term that is often repeated in the book.”

Signature 

How many times do lies need to be exposed
before we have permission to trash them?

Posted: 10 July 2012 08:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  4618
Joined  2007-10-05

I haven’t listened to the interview, but after reading the excerpts I downloaded the book to my iPad and look forward to reading it.

Signature 

“In the beginning, God created the universe. This has made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.”
Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Posted: 10 July 2012 08:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  1191
Joined  2011-08-01
citizenschallenge.pm - 09 July 2012 09:33 PM

Not everyone can be a good interviewer, it takes a certain mix of brass cahones along with a deep appreciation for humanity. Maybe it’s just me but this interview seems another example of what it takes to be America’s number one investigative interviewer.

I’m gonna try to find time to listen this week. I completely agree with you about Terri Gross. No one living is better.

Signature 

Free in Kentucky
—Humanist
“I am patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it.”—Edith Sitwell