1 of 4
Climate Change = More Awesomer Rain Forests
Posted: 10 July 2012 08:13 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3024
Joined  2010-04-26

So sayeth this guy.

More CO2 means more jungles.  And more jungles means more monkeys.  And more monkeys means more awesome.

What do you think of that?  You bunch of global warming haters.

Signature 

“In the end nature is horrific and teaches us nothing.” -Mutual of Omicron

Posted: 10 July 2012 09:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  1191
Joined  2011-08-01

Funny! But this points to a very serious truth that many people fail to grasp. Climate change is not just about things getting a few degrees warmer and maybe losing a few feet of coastline. We honestly have only a vague notion of where it could eventually lead.

Signature 

Free in Kentucky
—Humanist
“I am patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it.”—Edith Sitwell

Posted: 10 July 2012 10:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  5190
Joined  2010-06-16

One of the main problems is that the rain patterns will change significantly so some of the present forests and farm lands could become deserts while deserts could become arable or start to convert to forests.  Unfortunately, the conversion from a desert through a grassland to bosky dells and finally forests and jungles takes centuries and the monkeys can’t wait.  Even though it may take only a few decades to move farming from the former areas to the new ones, people can’t do without food for that long so there’ll probably be a fair amount of starvation, too.

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 10 July 2012 04:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  3799
Joined  2010-08-15

Gotta look at the Big Picture:

3d_hadley_cell.jpg

http://www.skepticalscience.com/lone-star-state-of-drought.html#67991

Eocene Park: our experiment to recreate the atmosphere of an ancient hothouse climate
Posted on 6 April 2012 by Andy S
http://www.skepticalscience.com/eocenepark.html

Fifty million years ago, during the Eocene Epoch , the world had a very different climate, with temperatures much higher than today’s, especially at the poles. This hothouse climate was caused mainly by CO2 levels that were twice as high, or more, than now. On our current emissions trajectory, we could recreate the chemistry of the hothouse atmosphere before the end of this century, with potentially drastic consequences for our climate.
The Hothouse . . .

Lone Star State of Drought
Posted on 18 November 2011 by Rob Honeycutt
http://www.skepticalscience.com/lone-star-state-of-drought.html#67991

For fans of Climate Denial Crock of the Week Peter has a new video up addressing the extreme drought conditions seen this past year in Texas.  The video includes clips from climate scientists, Jerry Meehl of UCAR, John Nielsen-Gammon from Texas A&M and the Texas State Climatologist, Ben Santer of Lawrence Livermore, and Noah Diffenbaugh of Stanford University…

You know when you pay attention to the details it really is an extremely coherent picture.  However, it’s been chopped up into a thousand piece puzzle and too many play too many dishonest games with it.

Signature 

How many times do lies need to be exposed
before we have permission to trash them?

Posted: 11 July 2012 07:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  4626
Joined  2007-10-05
Dead Monky - 10 July 2012 08:13 AM

I think the guy is an idiot or he’s being paid off by energy companies. He is ignoring reality.

The world is losing tropical rain forests at an alarming rate, and as Occam pointed out deserts will not turn into rainforest overnight. And he ends his essay with a straw man depiction of environmentalists wanting to tear down our civilization, as if building a sustainable society requires everyone travel by horse or sailboat.

This essay is part of the denialist machine, and I have a profound contempt for people who spread such crap.

Signature 

“In the beginning, God created the universe. This has made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.”
Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Posted: 11 July 2012 07:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Joined  2010-04-26
DarronS - 11 July 2012 07:18 AM

I think the guy is an idiot or he’s being paid off by energy companies. He is ignoring reality.

The world is losing tropical rain forests at an alarming rate, and as Occam pointed out deserts will not turn into rainforest overnight. And he ends his essay with a straw man depiction of environmentalists wanting to tear down our civilization, as if building a sustainable society requires everyone travel by horse or sailboat.

This essay is part of the denialist machine, and I have a profound contempt for people who spread such crap.

So sandy.  I have a profound contempt for people who blindly dismiss those who disagree with them.

*Sits back in anticipation.*

wink

Signature 

Posted: 11 July 2012 08:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Joined  2007-10-05

So go ahead and hold me in contempt. I’m not the one lying to confuse people. About one hour of Google Scholar research will show you how bad climate change is and how mankind is cutting down rainforests for crops and energy. We’re screwing the pooch, and the essay you linked is part of the problem preventing us from doing anything about it. I do not hold people in contempt for disagreeing with me, I hold them in contempt for knowing the truth and spreading lies in the name of profits. I also have little respect for people who dismiss professional climate scientists and believe what makes them feel good when someone outside the field tells them things are alright.

Signature 

“In the beginning, God created the universe. This has made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.”

Posted: 11 July 2012 08:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Joined  2010-04-26

*sighs and shakes head slowly and sadly*

Well, that was predictable.  Oh well.

Man.  I need to find something to soapbox over.  (I feel left out!)  Nobody likes it when I do so over the glories of North Korea.  They even boo my rendition of Excellent Horse-Like Lady.

Signature 

Posted: 11 July 2012 10:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Total Posts:  5190
Joined  2010-06-16

Hey DM, you can always go to either the 911 conspiracy threads or the free will/determinism ones to soapbox over.  You can soapbox on them and be sure you won’t be ignored (although the answers may not make much sense.  Damn, where are those smileys when you need them? LOL  ).

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 11 July 2012 11:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Total Posts:  2291
Joined  2007-07-05

Even if the CO2 effect on rain forests is correct aren’t the rain forests being destroyed by people via other means faster than the CO2 will make them grow?

So even if it is true isn’t it irrelevant?

psik

Signature 

Fiziks is Fundamental

Posted: 11 July 2012 07:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Total Posts:  1283
Joined  2011-03-12

We could always put this to the test, although it would probably work out a lot better if the rain forests and jungles were being planted instead of cut down. It won’t grow if it’s not there in the first place.

Amazing how it works out, isn’t it?

Signature 

Question authority and think for yourself. Big Brother does not know best and never has.

Posted: 11 July 2012 08:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Joined  2010-08-15

warm.jpg
Charts on Climate Change

tip of the hat to imoldernu over at SkepticSociety’s board.

Signature 

Posted: 11 July 2012 08:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Joined  2007-10-05

And, of course, the article DM does not want to read:

Amazon could shrink by 85% due to climate change

Signature 

Posted: 11 July 2012 09:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Joined  2010-08-15

May as well toss in this one

Global Stress / Amazon Drought and Desertification
Posted on February 25, 2011 by Tony Simeone  
http://dimidia.com/2011/02/25/global-stress-amazon-drought-and-desertification/

Of course it is true that one of the outcomes of increased GHGs in our atmosphere is that it increases the atmosphere’s holding capacity for H2O vapor/moisture, creating bigger clouds and mightier storms.  And no doubt after our global climate finishes its transition to a higher energy regime, there will be new rain forests established, along with expanded desert areas.  Temperate climates are probably most threatened, but they’ll migrate north, though they won’t resemble temperate zones as we’ve come to appreciate them these past centuries - simply by virtue that the weather patterns, and storm systems will be unlike any humanity has experienced these past eight, nine-hundred centuries.  downer

But, let’s be real, this settling back into a semblance of predictable weather rhythms, and re-establishment stable eco-zones like deserts and rainforests will take centuries to millennia. 

Talk about humanity walking right into Faust’s mistake. . .  go figure. . .

Signature 

Posted: 12 July 2012 05:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Total Posts:  2891
Joined  2011-08-15

I hat to be a wet blanket here but those monkeys had better be wearing fur lined parkas in the future because most climatologists agree that the global warming we’re now experiencing will ultimately lead to the next ice age, which BTW is overdo. Natural cooling is being prevented by man. And that’s the real problem we will face. You can’t grow corn on a glacier.

http://www.opednews.com/hartmann0104_global_warming_could_lead_to_ice_age.htm

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 12 July 2012 05:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Joined  2010-08-15
Thevillageatheist - 12 July 2012 05:24 AM

I hat to be a wet blanket here but those monkeys had better be wearing fur lined parkas in the future because most climatologists agree that the global warming we’re now experiencing will ultimately lead to the next ice age, which BTW is overdo. Natural cooling is being prevented by man. And that’s the real problem we will face. You can’t grow corn on a glacier.
http://www.opednews.com/hartmann0104_global_warming_could_lead_to_ice_age.htm

Ah yea, the wild card.
http://www.eoearth.org/article/Ocean_Currents:_Is_the_Global_Conveyor_Belt_Slowing_Down?topic=54302

But, than again if we warm enough to release methane hydrates en mass {which is quite possible considering we’ve done not a damned thing to throttle back}, it would put such huge amounts of a superduper GHG into our atmosphere that the next Ice Age will see yet another postponement…
http://www.giss.nasa.gov/research/briefs/schmidt_02/

Either way it’s going to be one wild ride on this here little planet.

Signature 

1 of 4