2 of 4
Climate Change = More Awesomer Rain Forests
Posted: 12 July 2012 06:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4850
Joined  2007-10-05
Thevillageatheist - 12 July 2012 05:24 AM

I hat to be a wet blanket here but those monkeys had better be wearing fur lined parkas in the future because most climatologists agree that the global warming we’re now experiencing will ultimately lead to the next ice age, which BTW is overdo. Natural cooling is being prevented by man. And that’s the real problem we will face. You can’t grow corn on a glacier.

http://www.opednews.com/hartmann0104_global_warming_could_lead_to_ice_age.htm

Cap’t Jack

Read the article a little more carefully. That ice age will be confined to Europe and the Northeastern United States. The rest of the world will be in the convection oven.

Signature 

You cannot have a rational conversation with someone who holds irrational beliefs.

Posted: 12 July 2012 06:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Total Posts:  4350
Joined  2010-08-15
DarronS - 12 July 2012 06:41 AM
Thevillageatheist - 12 July 2012 05:24 AM

I hat to be a wet blanket here but those monkeys had better be wearing fur lined parkas in the future because most climatologists agree that the global warming we’re now experiencing will ultimately lead to the next ice age, which BTW is overdo. Natural cooling is being prevented by man. And that’s the real problem we will face. You can’t grow corn on a glacier.

http://www.opednews.com/hartmann0104_global_warming_could_lead_to_ice_age.htm

Cap’t Jack

Read the article a little more carefully. That ice age will be confined to Europe and the Northeastern United States. The rest of the world will be in the convection oven.

Good catch!
and in fact, the North Atlantic area, including Greenland, UK isles, etc. has a record of more extreme variations compared with global records.  Thanks to that concentration of the Gulf Stream Current’s influence in creating and pushing around warm water > and air masses.
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT-bO7Ax1oe9RDzVJNXW6l7PCpleQHRQomjMGQQzAQwp83BO0nwtQ
that global heat engine . . .
and cascading consequences

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR-vqXMyGgb1tbbdpLZinme6poGQdsu5azbMmb3qVqVvn1mmI9Jvw

Signature 

We need each other, to keep ourselves honest

Posted: 12 July 2012 08:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Total Posts:  3063
Joined  2010-04-26
DarronS - 11 July 2012 08:55 PM

And, of course, the article DM does not want to read:

Amazon could shrink by 85% due to climate change

Why wouldn’t I want to read it?  Oh right.  I forgot.  I’m a global warming denier.  I am?  I guess so.  Cool, maybe I can get on TV now.  I probably don’t need to worry about my credentials either.  None of those people usually have any, so “some guy on the internet assumed I’m a climate change denier because I don’t treat it like the Holy Word of God” should work just fine.

Occam. - 11 July 2012 10:28 AM

Hey DM, you can always go to either the 911 conspiracy threads or the free will/determinism ones to soapbox over.  You can soapbox on them and be sure you won’t be ignored (although the answers may not make much sense.  Damn, where are those smileys when you need them? LOL  ).

Occam

True.  Maybe I can annoy them all by endlessly extolling the virtues of Juche.  Ooo.  I could even share my sawdust-based kimchi recipe.  It’s freaking good!

Signature 

“In the end nature is horrific and teaches us nothing.” -Mutual of Omicron

Posted: 12 July 2012 09:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Joined  2007-10-05
Dead Monky - 12 July 2012 08:47 AM
DarronS - 11 July 2012 08:55 PM

And, of course, the article DM does not want to read:

Amazon could shrink by 85% due to climate change

Why wouldn’t I want to read it?  Oh right.  I forgot.  I’m a global warming denier.  I am?  I guess so.

When you act like a denier and talk like a denier, it is reasonable to assume you are a denier. Why else propagate lies without a disclaimer? Now you’re backpedaling and playing the victim. I have no sympathy for you.

Signature 

You cannot have a rational conversation with someone who holds irrational beliefs.

Posted: 12 July 2012 09:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Total Posts:  3063
Joined  2010-04-26
DarronS - 12 July 2012 09:06 AM

When you act like a denier and talk like a denier, it is reasonable to assume you are a denier. Why else propagate lies without a disclaimer? Now you’re backpedaling and playing the victim. I have no sympathy for you.

I am neither backpedaling nor playing the victim.  Though for $7.95/min I can.  What I am doing, is mocking you.  And that I do for free.

Maybe I like stirring things up.  Maybe I like calling people’s assumptions into question.  Maybe I like pointing out annoying details and overlooked possibilities.  Maybe I’m just an annoying contrarian asshole.  (I’m going with D.)

As for the lack of disclaimers and whatnot?  Eff that.  One, it’s not as fun.  Two, it runs counter to my purposes.  And three, I assume everyone here is smart and informed enough to spot BS.  Or not.

Signature 

“In the end nature is horrific and teaches us nothing.” -Mutual of Omicron

Posted: 12 July 2012 09:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Joined  2007-10-05

I also vote D.

Signature 

Posted: 12 July 2012 11:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Total Posts:  1191
Joined  2011-08-01
DarronS - 12 July 2012 09:38 AM

I also vote D.

Great! You both have something in common now!  LOL

Signature 

Free in Kentucky
—Humanist
“I am patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it.”—Edith Sitwell

Posted: 12 July 2012 11:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Joined  2007-10-05

Good one!

Signature 

Posted: 12 July 2012 08:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Joined  2010-08-15
Dead Monky - 12 July 2012 09:34 AM

I am neither backpedaling nor playing the victim.  Though for $7.95/min I can. 

yipes, tough economy out there, I’da thought at least a Sawbuck for you.

Oh shit, per minute… forget it….... I’m outta here

Signature 

Posted: 13 July 2012 03:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Joined  2007-10-05

Scientific American has a well-written, honest and nuanced article on the effects and uncertainties of global warming, told by one who is studying the phenomena. Exactly the opposite of the simplistic lie linked in the OP.

Following the Ice: Is this Global Warming?

This is an essay about the Greenland Ice sheet: how it is changing and what are the implications.

Signature 

Posted: 13 July 2012 05:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Total Posts:  3213
Joined  2011-08-15

Darron, I did read the material I sited and it mentions nothing about how the rest of the World below the glaciers would be configured. In fact that area would be dry with expanded deserts and grasslands as trees would recede, so no tropical forests for the monkeys. For a full picture of the last one download Brian Fagan’s book “the Little Ice Age”. He’s very thorough in explaining the consequences of the cooling period and how it’s inevitable.

http://www.esd.ornl.gov/projects/qen/nerc130k.html

This one also mentions the area in question.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 13 July 2012 05:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Total Posts:  3213
Joined  2011-08-15

Maybe I like stirring things up.  Maybe I like calling people’s assumptions into question.  Maybe I like pointing out annoying details and overlooked possibilities.  Maybe I’m just an annoying contrarian asshole.  (I’m going with D.)

As I said before, welcome back DM! And as I told Occam once, never assume, it makes an ASS of U and Me! Old one, but so am I!

Cap’t Jack,

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 13 July 2012 05:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Joined  2007-10-05
Thevillageatheist - 13 July 2012 05:08 AM

Darron, I did read the material I sited and it mentions nothing about how the rest of the World below the glaciers would be configured. In fact that area would be dry with expanded deserts and grasslands as trees would recede, so no tropical forests for the monkeys. For a full picture of the last one download Brian Fagan’s book “the Little Ice Age”. He’s very thorough in explaining the consequences of the cooling period and how it’s inevitable.

Cap’t Jack

You’re right. Maybe I should have read the article more closely. Trouble is, that article contradicts what I have read in peer-reviewed literature. The consensus is Europe and Eastern North America will undergo an ice age if the Atlantic Conveyor shuts down even while the rest of the world continues to warm.

Edit: corrected a typo

[ Edited: 13 July 2012 07:53 AM by DarronS ]
 Signature 

Posted: 13 July 2012 06:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Joined  2010-08-15

Cap’t Jack

Well that was sort of an interesting review of the past 150,000 years.
What I found most peculiar is that CO2 and GHGs are never mentioned at all.

So what you have is an “all things being equal” game being played.  But the thing is, “all things are most definitively not equal anymore.”

Here look at this.  If this doesn’t graphically make the point, that you seem to be leaving out, I don’t know what will.

Time history of atmospheric carbon dioxide from 800,000 years ago until January, 2009.
http://www.esrl.noaa.gov/gmd/ccgg/trends/history.html

For a tree hugger this graph is of the shock’n awe variety.

Signature 

Posted: 13 July 2012 06:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Joined  2010-08-15

He’s very thorough in explaining the consequences of the cooling period and how it’s inevitable.

Actually I take issue with the way you describe the write up.  All I found was a description of events.  Nor did I see any claim about future inevitability.  Quite the contrary, look at the bottom above his “summary of the sequence of events for the last 130,000.” years

The unstable nature of the Earth’s climate history suggests that it may be liable to change suddenly in the future. By putting large quantities of greenhouse gases into the atmosphere, humans are exerting pressure on the climate system which might produce a drastic change without much prior warning. As the geologist W.S. Broecker has said, “Climate is an angry beast, and we are poking it with sticks”

Signature 

2 of 4