4 of 4
Climate Change = More Awesomer Rain Forests
Posted: 14 July 2012 10:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 46 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5976
Joined  2009-02-26
magus - 14 July 2012 07:28 AM

Global warming s the result of the improving knowledge of people. We are now in the “net generation”, and technology will never decrease so as the population. And as population and technology increases, pollution increases. Let’s heal the world, start it from you. smile

Perhaps its time to slow down our headlong rush towards the cliff. Everything we do is designed for maximum speed. Excess use of energy creates depletion of resources and excess heat, in addition to excess waste of energy (again heat), as well as pollutants.

I have always wondered how it can be possible for the people in the South to speak at such a slow pace and still get things done as efficiently as the people in NY who speak twice as fast and don’t even finish their sentences. Somehow it does not seem to make a difference in result, yet we insist of fast, faster, fastest.

Ever noticed that all slow down drugs are prohibited (controlled), while all speed up drugs are readily available over the counter?

[ Edited: 14 July 2012 10:38 PM by Write4U ]
 Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 14 July 2012 10:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 47 ]
Total Posts:  5187
Joined  2010-06-16

Nah, alcohol and tobacco can both be slow down drugs.  When I smoked, when someone would argue with me, rather than instantly answering and possibly being sloppy, I’d take a deep drag of the cigarette then slowly let it out, all the time formulating my response very carefully.  LOL

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 14 July 2012 11:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 48 ]
Total Posts:  5976
Joined  2009-02-26
Occam. - 14 July 2012 10:40 PM

Nah, alcohol and tobacco can both be slow down drugs.  When I smoked, when someone would argue with me, rather than instantly answering and possibly being sloppy, I’d take a deep drag of the cigarette then slowly let it out, all the time formulating my response very carefully.  LOL

Occam

grin  when working for a large and busy company in Los Angeles, everytime the phone rang I would take a sip of my coffee and reach for cigarette so I could take care of business with a chemically balanced body and mind… LOL

However, I never worked for a company that provided cigarettes, but there was always a bottomless supply of coffee. I’ll never forget the day I was rushed to the hospital with a fluttering heart.  I recovered in a few hours and the the doctors prescribed medicine to regulate my heart.
The next day at work, my boss asked me what happened and after I explained the situation and the prescription, his response was, “welcome to the club”. At that very moment I made up my mind to quit that ratrace and ended up in No. Idaho where life is a little more leisurely. It took me almost a year and three trips into the ditch to get used to driving at 25 mph on a gravel troad. Got to see a lot more of the country side though…

[ Edited: 15 July 2012 04:14 AM by Write4U ]
 Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 15 July 2012 12:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 49 ]
Joined  2010-06-16

Hey, I’ve lived in Los Angeles County, never more than four miles from the ocean for seventy-two years, and I’ve never had any problem that I could attribute to here or my job.  I love being able to drive 80 mph on the freeways (with one eye on the rear-view mirror).  I didn’t smoke or drink coffee when I happened to be working from home.  Rather, I got a kick out of answering the phone on technical calls envisioning the other person wearing a suit and in an office or lab, while I sat there in my home office on a nice, warm summer day wearing only a pair of flip-flops.  LOL

My heart attack was well after I retired and was from eating too well.  Even then, it wasn’t too bad.  I immediately chewed an asprin, grabbed a small bottle of dilute nitroglycerin, breathed deeply, called 911, said, “I don’t know if you consider this an emergency, but I believe I’m having a heart attack.”  They dispatched an ambulance and two fire trucks.  So, I grabbed a small canvas suitcase, threw some underwear, socks, a few magazines and books, toothbrush & paste, my vitamins, a small mirror and a flexible two-foot pick-up tool in it, called my wife who was visiting her mother, and went to the curb to wait for the emergency vehicles.  I was in the hospital for a few days while they ran tests and did a couple of angioplasties. 

Occam

Signature 

Posted: 16 July 2012 01:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 50 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15305
Joined  2006-02-14
Occam. - 15 July 2012 12:37 PM

My heart attack was well after I retired and was from eating too well.  Even then, it wasn’t too bad.  I immediately chewed an asprin, grabbed a small bottle of dilute nitroglycerin, breathed deeply, called 911, said, “I don’t know if you consider this an emergency, but I believe I’m having a heart attack.”  They dispatched an ambulance and two fire trucks.  So, I grabbed a small canvas suitcase, threw some underwear, socks, a few magazines and books, toothbrush & paste, my vitamins, a small mirror and a flexible two-foot pick-up tool in it, called my wife who was visiting her mother, and went to the curb to wait for the emergency vehicles.  I was in the hospital for a few days while they ran tests and did a couple of angioplasties. 

Wow, that’s called cold blood! Well done.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 16 July 2012 02:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 51 ]
Total Posts:  4377
Joined  2007-08-31
Occam. - 15 July 2012 12:37 PM

... grabbed a small bottle of dilute nitroglycerin…

That means you know you were at risk of having a heart attack? Or does that belong to the standard medicine every American has at home?

Signature 

GdB

“The light is on, but there is nobody at home”

Posted: 16 July 2012 02:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 52 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15305
Joined  2006-02-14
GdB - 16 July 2012 02:21 AM

That means you know you were at risk of having a heart attack? Or does that belong to the standard medicine every American has at home?

I assume that as a retired chemist, Occam has a pretty well stocked cabinet!

smile

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 16 July 2012 07:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 53 ]
Total Posts:  2886
Joined  2011-08-15

That comes with the territory for Americans over 60. Here in giant burger land where, As Occam says, you drive over 80 mph while looking over your shoulder with one hand on the wheel and a whopper burger in the other. Speed is of the essence on the road and at lunch. We’re all on 1/4 aspirin! And they may talk slowly in Dixie but try driving around Atlanta during rush hour. Not much different than in the North.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 16 July 2012 09:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 54 ]
Joined  2010-06-16

Nitroglycerin is part of the immediate antidote if one happens to breathe hydrogen cyanide gas.  I never needed it, but had a small bottle out in the garage that was still good after about 40 years.  Although, if one has any indications of susceptibility to a heart attack it wouldn’t hurt to ask one’s doctor about carrying a tiny bottle of nitroglycerine tablets that could be put under the tongue in case of angina or other symptoms of a heart attack.

Quoting Doug:

Wow, that’s called cold blood! Well done.

Nah.  I knew it would take them about ten minutes to get there, and I didn’t want to just sit on the front steps.  It felt better doing something.

Occam

Signature 

Posted: 18 July 2012 10:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 55 ]
Total Posts:  3024
Joined  2010-04-26
DarronS - 13 July 2012 10:59 AM

So you just posted the article to stir things up? That is the definition of trolling.

Well, not just to stir things up.  I have other motives.  Even if I can be kind of oblique about them.  grin
And trolls typically agitate things with little more than mischief in mind.  I have actual purposes.  Even if, on occasion, they are little more than to keep this place from getting too dull.

DarronS - 13 July 2012 05:12 PM

I forgot. We love him anyway. He calls us out when we get too stuffy.  smile

Just one of my aforementioned motives.

Now, as an aside: If global warming is so bad and so seemingly inevitable, why just launch a few nukes and use nuclear winter to sort of cancel it out? wink

Signature 

“In the end nature is horrific and teaches us nothing.” -Mutual of Omicron

Posted: 18 July 2012 03:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 56 ]
Total Posts:  3799
Joined  2010-08-15

hey what’s wrong with a little trolling now and then?  tongue laugh

never know what you might snag

Signature 

How many times do lies need to be exposed
before we have permission to trash them?

Posted: 18 July 2012 04:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 57 ]
Total Posts:  3799
Joined  2010-08-15
Dead Monky - 18 July 2012 10:04 AM

Now, as an aside: If global warming is so bad and so seemingly inevitable, why just launch a few nukes and use nuclear winter to sort of cancel it out? wink

now DM, 
what about unintended consequences?    hmmm

Signature 

How many times do lies need to be exposed
before we have permission to trash them?

Posted: 23 July 2012 08:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 58 ]
Total Posts:  3024
Joined  2010-04-26
citizenschallenge.pm - 18 July 2012 04:04 PM

now DM, 
what about unintended consequences?    hmmm

We’ll just nuke the crappy places.  Like Australia and Ireland.

Signature 

“In the end nature is horrific and teaches us nothing.” -Mutual of Omicron

Posted: 23 July 2012 01:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 59 ]
Joined  2010-06-16

Of course, now that quite a few countries has nukes, each one will get to decide which are the crappy places.  When everyone gets through, there’ll just be a few people left who will probably have mutated back to neanderthals.  Who knows, they might do a better job than homo sapiens has. smile

Occam

Signature 

4 of 4