1 of 2
Republican Horrified to Discover that Christianity is Not the Only Religion
Posted: 11 July 2012 04:06 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  438
Joined  2009-01-28

duh.

It’s an honest mistake, assuming that the Constitution only protects your own personal megachurch faith. But one Louisiana Republican is learning the hard way that religious school vouchers can be used to fund education at all sorts of religious schools, even Muslim ones. And while she’s totally in favor of taxpayer money being used to pay for kids to go to Christian schools, she’s willing to put a stop to the entire program if Muslim schools are going to be involved.

Valarie Hodges admitted that when she supported Governor Bobby Jindal’s school voucher program, she only did so because she assumed the religious school vouchers could only be used for Christian schools…

Posted: 11 July 2012 05:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  2714
Joined  2011-04-24

I love it. Blank stare face should follow.

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 11 July 2012 05:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  698
Joined  2007-10-14

`
Yet another great example of the presumptuously arrogant sense of entitlement that some of these Christians have.

Not just that they’re upset that some other religion is being given the same ‘benefit’ that they are, but that the potential for this scenario apparently didn’t even occur to them in the first place!

`

Signature 

‘we are so fundamentally constituted of desire that we go on hearing music…...even though we know the band is gone and the stage is silent’

Posted: 11 July 2012 07:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  1283
Joined  2011-03-12

she’s willing to put a stop to the entire program if Muslim schools are going to be involved.

I’m willing to put a stop to it. All of it…period.

If these people want to fund whatever it is they confuse for “education” they can do it without picking my pocket.

Signature 

Question authority and think for yourself. Big Brother does not know best and never has.

Posted: 11 July 2012 08:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  2714
Joined  2011-04-24
Equal Opportunity Curmudgeon - 11 July 2012 07:34 PM

she’s willing to put a stop to the entire program if Muslim schools are going to be involved.

If these people want to fund whatever it is they confuse for “education” they can do it without picking my pocket.

Well put! cool smile

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 11 July 2012 10:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Total Posts:  4400
Joined  2010-08-15

You Go Girl

Valarie Hodges admitted that when she supported Governor Bobby Jindal’s school voucher program, she only did so because she assumed the religious school vouchers could only be used for Christian schools. Religious freedom means that everyone’s free to follow Valarie Hodges’ religion! She explains,

I actually support funding for teaching the fundamentals of America’s Founding Fathers’ religion, which is Christianity, in public schools or private schools. I liked the idea of giving parents the option of sending their children to a public school or a Christian school.

Onward Christian Soldiers marching off into war, with the faith of Jesus we will conquer all . . .    shock

Signature 

We need each other, to keep ourselves honest

Posted: 11 July 2012 11:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15433
Joined  2006-02-14
skuld - 11 July 2012 04:06 PM

duh.

It’s an honest mistake, assuming that the Constitution only protects your own personal megachurch faith. But one Louisiana Republican is learning the hard way that religious school vouchers can be used to fund education at all sorts of religious schools, even Muslim ones. And while she’s totally in favor of taxpayer money being used to pay for kids to go to Christian schools, she’s willing to put a stop to the entire program if Muslim schools are going to be involved.

Valarie Hodges admitted that when she supported Governor Bobby Jindal’s school voucher program, she only did so because she assumed the religious school vouchers could only be used for Christian schools…

Man, that’s pretty funny.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 12 July 2012 12:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Total Posts:  4573
Joined  2007-08-31
Equal Opportunity Curmudgeon - 11 July 2012 07:34 PM

We could also use the money for Dennett’s proposal: use the money to teach about all major religions:

- what are their ‘holy books’
- what is their history, how did they come into existence, who were their grounders
- what are their holy places
- what are their rituals
- what is their organisational structure
- where do the believers live
- etc…

Just the cultural history and sociology of all these religions. Good idea?

Signature 

GdB

“The light is on, but there is nobody at home”

Posted: 12 July 2012 04:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Total Posts:  1283
Joined  2011-03-12

Just the cultural history and sociology of all these religions. Good idea?

Works for me. Should work for the religulous as well, as they are the ones who are always calling for “equal time.”

Of course, they tend to think that “equal time” only means that their particular cult gets a hearing. Ain’t it amazing how they get cold feet when any of the non-Christian religions show up for the discussion????  wink

Signature 

Question authority and think for yourself. Big Brother does not know best and never has.

Posted: 12 July 2012 06:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Total Posts:  1191
Joined  2011-08-01

I love it.

Signature 

Free in Kentucky
—Humanist
“I am patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it.”—Edith Sitwell

Posted: 12 July 2012 08:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Total Posts:  3063
Joined  2010-04-26

Hah!  Now that’s funny.

Signature 

“In the end nature is horrific and teaches us nothing.” -Mutual of Omicron

Posted: 02 August 2012 12:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Total Posts:  814
Joined  2012-04-25

This also points the way to dealing with those who want Creationism taught in school. Agree with them! And make sure ALL creation myths are covered OR sue them for discrimination.  That’ll stop’em in their tracks just like with this school funding thing.

Posted: 02 August 2012 12:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Total Posts:  3063
Joined  2010-04-26

Can imagine how some of these people would crap themselves if the Heliopolitan creation myth of the ancient Egyptians was taught in schools?

Signature 

“In the end nature is horrific and teaches us nothing.” -Mutual of Omicron

Posted: 02 August 2012 01:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Total Posts:  4858
Joined  2007-10-05

Thanks DM. I book marked the page and will use it often. I can’t wait until the next time I can respond “Yes, we should teach creation myths in public schools. I like this one.”

Signature 

You cannot have a rational conversation with someone who holds irrational beliefs.

Posted: 02 August 2012 02:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Total Posts:  1423
Joined  2010-04-22

Geez, when I first read the title of this thread, I was sure that it would be an article from The Onion.

Signature 

“All musicians are subconsciously mathematicians.”

- Thelonious Monk

Posted: 02 August 2012 03:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  296
Joined  2011-09-13
skuld - 11 July 2012 04:06 PM

duh.

I have no idea how many religions there are but I’m will to bet I can’t count that high.

1 of 2