1 of 6
1985 - The Worst Year in History for Popular Music
Posted: 14 July 2012 08:16 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4615
Joined  2007-10-05

The top 25 Billboard songs from 1985. Twenty-four of them are chalk-on-a-blackboard dreadful. Guess which one I like.

Billboard Top 25 From 1985

WARNING! You will never get back the eleven minutes and twenty-eight seconds you spend watching this video. Listener assumes all responsibility for any mental anguish incurred from this video. Clicking the link acknowledges your agreement to not hold the OP liable for psychological and/or physical ailments experienced after subjecting oneself to the dreck contained in the video linked above.

Signature 

“In the beginning, God created the universe. This has made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.”
Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Posted: 14 July 2012 11:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  2579
Joined  2011-04-24
DarronS - 14 July 2012 08:16 PM

The top 25 Billboard songs from 1985. Twenty-four of them are chalk-on-a-blackboard dreadful. Guess which one I like.

Billboard Top 25 From 1985

WARNING! You will never get back the eleven minutes and twenty-eight seconds you spend watching this video. Listener assumes all responsibility for any mental anguish incurred from this video. Clicking the link acknowledges your agreement to not hold the OP liable for psychological and/or physical ailments experienced after subjecting oneself to the dreck contained in the video linked above.

I just drank a gallon of Clorox after watching that! sick

I’m going to guess you like Money for Nothing - Dire Straits?

Actually there’s a few in that list that I like, but mostly it’s horrible.

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 15 July 2012 03:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  4375
Joined  2007-08-31

I like:

Stevie Wonder: Part time lover
Tears for Fears: Shout

The rest is BS, yes.

And with the preview function it took only 3 minutes…

Signature 

GdB

“The light is on, but there is nobody at home”

Posted: 15 July 2012 05:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Joined  2007-10-05

The Dire Straits song is the only one from that list in my collection. I’ve always liked Money for Nothing. Aside from being a great song it is wonderful for testing speakers. As for Stevie Wonder, although Part Time Lover isn’t a bad song. let’s just say Stevie was well past his prime when he recorded it. And Tears for Fears? We obviously have different musical taste. I find Shout just another generic MTV song. At least we agree that 22 of the 25 top hits of 1985 are dreadful.

Flashback to 1965’s Top 25 hits.

Edit: corrected formatting on Part Timer Lover

Signature 

“In the beginning, God created the universe. This has made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.”

Posted: 15 July 2012 06:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  1283
Joined  2011-03-12

I had no use for the music of the 80’s anyway and even less these days. I’m a classical kind of guy.

Signature 

Question authority and think for yourself. Big Brother does not know best and never has.

Posted: 15 July 2012 06:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Joined  2007-10-05

I’ll take Classical over 99.99 percent of the crap released in the 1980s. Give me Bach and Roll Over Beethoven.

Signature 

Posted: 15 July 2012 07:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Total Posts:  1283
Joined  2011-03-12

I learned a real appreciation for classical music back in a galaxy far far away when religion was something I believed in and I was part of a Lutheran Church choir. I cut my teeth on Bach’s work, and I haven’t looked back since then.

Handel’s “Massiah” was probably the most difficult work I’ve ever done but Brahm’s “A German Requiem” has an agnus dei which was so treacherous, we called it the “Agony Day.”

Signature 

Question authority and think for yourself. Big Brother does not know best and never has.

Posted: 15 July 2012 07:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Joined  2007-10-05

When I was in junior high school our class went to a Beethoven concert in Kansas City. A local TV station was interviewing kids after the show and wanted someone who actually enjoyed the experience. I walked up to the reporter and said I liked it. Got on the evening news that night. My 15 seconds of fame. And yes, I did find the music fascinating even at that young age.

Bach was the first Rock ‘n’ Roll composer.

Signature 

Posted: 15 July 2012 10:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Joined  2011-04-24

I like Tears for Fears -  Shout & Everybody wants to rule the world.

Simple Minds -  Don’t you forget about me

Dire Straits - Money for Nothing

Overall, eighties music ain’t really my thing.
I’m kind of glad that I was only in third grade when the eighties ended, I escaped having to deal with the pop culture of the decade.

Signature 

Posted: 21 July 2012 03:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Total Posts:  1396
Joined  2010-04-22

Ah, yes. Right in the middle of the era of awful synth sounds. Lovely.

Signature 

“All musicians are subconsciously mathematicians.”

- Thelonious Monk

Posted: 23 July 2012 08:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Total Posts:  3024
Joined  2010-04-26

80s popular music was awful.  Of course, the chart topping music from every decade is awful so I fail to see what’s so special here.

Signature 

“In the end nature is horrific and teaches us nothing.” -Mutual of Omicron

Posted: 23 July 2012 07:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Total Posts:  1201
Joined  2009-05-10

You guys are not hip at all. 80s is back in style! In fact, it’s moving on to 90s now

Of course, the chart topping music from every decade is awful so I fail to see what’s so special here.

Quite true

Signature 

“What people do is they confuse cynicism with skepticism. Cynicism is ‘you can’t change anything, everything sucks, there’s no point to anything.’ Skepticism is, ‘well, I’m not so sure.’” -Bill Nye

Posted: 23 July 2012 07:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Joined  2007-10-05

Damn you DM! I was going to rebut your post, and so looked up the Billboard top 25 from 1995. @&*$#^

There is not one great song on that list. The only decent song was from Blues Traveller. The rest were utter junk that made the 1985 list sound like classics. I didn’t dare assault my ears by listening to the YouTube compilation. Pop music was even worse in 2005.

Hey kids! I’m not like my Dad.

1759.jpg

I am very, very glad I’m tapped into the Texas Music scene and know some excellent songwriters. I’d go insane listening to today’s Pop crap.

Edit: Ahhhh… iTunes just jumped to some Mississippi John Hurt. I feel better now.

Signature 

Posted: 24 July 2012 06:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Joined  2011-04-24
DarronS - 23 July 2012 07:15 PM

Damn you DM! I was going to rebut your post, and so looked up the Billboard top 25 from 1995. @&*$#^

There is not one great song on that list. The only decent song was from Blues Traveller. The rest were utter junk that made the 1985 list sound like classics. I didn’t dare assault my ears by listening to the YouTube compilation. Pop music was even worse in 2005.

Hey kids! I’m not like my Dad.

1759.jpg

I am very, very glad I’m tapped into the Texas Music scene and know some excellent songwriters. I’d go insane listening to today’s Pop crap.

Edit: Ahhhh… iTunes just jumped to some Mississippi John Hurt. I feel better now.

Ugh! sick  Blues Traveller?  I’m going with “Waterfalls” by TLC as the only decent song of the 1995 top 25.

Signature 

Posted: 24 July 2012 06:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Joined  2007-10-05

Neither song is very good, but neither totally sucks. FWIW, I do not have any Blues Traveller in my collection. Too middle of the road for my taste.

Signature 

Posted: 25 July 2012 10:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Total Posts:  1201
Joined  2009-05-10

Pop music is made for accessibility, which means it has to be repetitive and simple, which means everyone gets sick of it really quickly. It’s good for what it is, but it doesn’t last. That’s pretty much all there is to it.

Signature 

“What people do is they confuse cynicism with skepticism. Cynicism is ‘you can’t change anything, everything sucks, there’s no point to anything.’ Skepticism is, ‘well, I’m not so sure.’” -Bill Nye

1 of 6