2 of 6
1985 - The Worst Year in History for Popular Music
Posted: 25 July 2012 10:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4805
Joined  2007-10-05
domokato - 25 July 2012 10:51 AM

Pop music is made for accessibility, which means it has to be repetitive and simple, which means everyone gets sick of it really quickly. It’s good for what it is, but it doesn’t last. That’s pretty much all there is to it.

You’re right. The stuff that hits the top of the charts is rarely the best music available. The best music usually only gets local airplay, if that.

Signature 

“In the beginning, God created the universe. This has made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.”
Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Posted: 25 July 2012 12:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Total Posts:  1805
Joined  2005-07-20

Yeah, there was a lot of forgettable pop music in the 1980’s, it was all the the record studios saw fit to give the people.  rolleyes  So people had to look elsewhere to find music made with heart.  Musicians wearing business suits look weird.

Signature 

I saw a happy rainbow recently.

Posted: 27 July 2012 11:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  37
Joined  2012-07-13

I’m such a child of the 80’s!  I grew up on that stuff and have all sorts of great memories and emotions associated with those tunes.  I didn’t love all the songs and would have definitely reordered them, but I can’t say there were any I don’t enjoy. 

For whatever reasons, I don’t like jazz, classical, grunge, heavy metal, country and a bunch of other genres.  I wish I did, because whole worlds of music would be open to me, but I don’t and am stuck with my 80’s tunes.  Luckily I love them so much I really never get sick of them.

It amazes me how some people can love music that I consider cruel torture, and others hate, just as much, the music I love.

Signature 

It is morally as bad not to care whether a thing is true or not, so long as it makes you feel good, as it is not to care how you got your money as long as you have got it.  Edmund Way Teale, Circle of the Seasons

Posted: 27 July 2012 12:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29

It’s obviously impossible to objectively measure the quality of music. The best we can do is to see who wrote the music that most people like and will remain liking for some time. I doubt people a hundred years from now will listen to much of the music Darron seems to be fond of. The Beatles and ABBA will be here for a while, and the odd song from this or that group or a singer. But yes, “Get Off My Cloud” will be as popular within only the next decade as is, I dunno, Daniel Steibelt today.

Posted: 27 July 2012 05:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Total Posts:  3154
Joined  2011-08-15

I’m such a child of the 80’s!  I grew up on that stuff and have all sorts of great memories and emotions associated with those tunes.  I didn’t love all the songs and would have definitely reordered them, but I can’t say there were any I don’t enjoy. 

I feel the same way about pop music and I’m a child of the 50’s. Rock music via the radio and Dick Clark influenced my taste in music as well as jazz from the 30’s and 40’s. My father is a jazz drummer and took me with him where he could. He also taught me to play and when I became a teenager I joined rock bands who played music from that era. So my wife and I listen to mainly 50’s ad 60’s music on our sirius as it reminds us of our youth. Our kids listen to 80’s heavy metal and glam band groups but they also like songs from the 70’s including Elton John and Billy Joel. Some of the 80’s music was entertaining via MTV but the underground music was much more entertaining. My son’s favorites are rush and Iron Maiden. Headbanger’s ball was his source.

Cap’t Jacj

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 28 July 2012 08:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Total Posts:  3028
Joined  2010-04-26

I’m actually rather indifferent toward what makes “good music”.  It’s entirely subjective and utterly pointless to get worked up over.

Of course, most people actively despise the music I like.  But then, I like niche market musicgrin

Signature 

“In the end nature is horrific and teaches us nothing.” -Mutual of Omicron

Posted: 29 July 2012 07:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Joined  2007-10-05

Science Proves: Pop Music Has Acutally Gotten Worse.
I knew I was right all along.

Signature 

“In the beginning, God created the universe. This has made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.”

Posted: 29 July 2012 08:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Total Posts:  1397
Joined  2010-04-22
DarronS - 29 July 2012 07:27 AM

It occurs to me that this may be a double-edged sword for the music industry. Music gets simpler but sells - but people gradually become less inspired by it, leading to a more laisse-faire attitude toward the music including copyright protections. Not to mention that as music gets louder, people’s hearing gets worse and it can get to the point where they can’t hear the music they want to listen to anyway. Idiotic.

I’ve been listening to a bit of Yes lately. They never made a chart-topper, and in a way that’s a bit of a compliment. They were a great band.

Signature 

“All musicians are subconsciously mathematicians.”

- Thelonious Monk

Posted: 29 July 2012 09:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Total Posts:  1397
Joined  2010-04-22
3point14rat - 27 July 2012 11:50 AM

For whatever reasons, I don’t like jazz, classical, grunge, heavy metal, country and a bunch of other genres.  I wish I did, because whole worlds of music would be open to me, but I don’t and am stuck with my 80’s tunes.  Luckily I love them so much I really never get sick of them.

It amazes me how some people can love music that I consider cruel torture, and others hate, just as much, the music I love.

It’s all cool. Everyone has their own tastes.

But I do have a theory on people who are very limited in their listening range like you describe yourself: all music they listen to is compared to the specific stuff they like, instead of trying to take new music in on it’s own merits. Sometimes, though, it is simply because a person has never heard good examples of other styles of music. If all one hears of jazz is corny crap played on the radio, I could see how someone would not like it.

Signature 

“All musicians are subconsciously mathematicians.”

- Thelonious Monk

Posted: 29 July 2012 10:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Joined  2007-10-05
TromboneAndrew - 29 July 2012 08:56 AM

I’ve been listening to a bit of Yes lately. They never made a chart-topper, and in a way that’s a bit of a compliment. They were a great band.

I agree. I have five of their albums in my collection. I’ll listen to a couple of them tonight. Great stuff, and an excellent example of how chord changes, dynamic range and melodies make music interesting.

Having hung out with musicians most of my life I have found the best have wide-ranging taste. Although I am not a musician (someone has to be the audience) my collection includes everything from John Adams to Frank Zappa, classical to blues to Americana to Rock ‘n’ Roll, with a good amount of real jazz (Miles Davis, John Coltrane etc.) thrown in for variety. What I listen to often depends upon my mood, but just as often whatever randomly launches in iTunes.

Signature 

Posted: 29 July 2012 05:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Total Posts:  7571
Joined  2007-03-02

I made a similar comment to my older son, saying that the 70s music was the best music and everything else since then hasn’t been so good.  He said he thought the 80s had the best music.  Huh?  I told him I thought it sucked.  He couldn’t fathom that it sucked.

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 29 July 2012 05:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Joined  2007-10-05

Now you have proof Mriana. As if listening to that crap was not proof enough.  LOL

Signature 

Posted: 29 July 2012 05:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Total Posts:  7571
Joined  2007-03-02

Yes, and when he gets home tonight I’ll show him this thread that says I’m not the only one who thinks the music of the 80s sucked.

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 29 July 2012 06:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Total Posts:  2676
Joined  2011-04-24
DarronS - 29 July 2012 07:27 AM

Very interesting.

I totally agree that pop music now is produced to be louder then ever before.

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 29 July 2012 07:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Joined  2007-10-05
TromboneAndrew - 29 July 2012 08:56 AM

I just finished listening to The Yes Album*. I loved it when it came out in 1971, and it has aged well. Incredible music. I was going to listen to another Yes album, but iTunes jumped to Black is Black by Los Bravo before I selected another Yes album. Now I’m listening to Never Tell a Woman Yes by the Monkees. Another great song.

Yes kids, your music really does suck.

The 20th Century saw an unprecedented explosion of great music; from Jelly Roll Morton to Nirvana Little Feat, there has never been so much excellent music written in another century, and there will probably never be so much great music in such a short time again. George’s comment is irrelevant. Popularity does not equal greatness.

* I highly recommend listening to this through good headphones.

Edit: Struck Nirvana, substituted Little Feat

Signature 

2 of 6