1985 - The Worst Year in History for Popular Music
Posted: 01 August 2012 05:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 46 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7597
Joined  2007-03-02
DarronS - 30 July 2012 03:47 PM
TromboneAndrew - 30 July 2012 02:25 PM
Mriana - 30 July 2012 12:16 AM

Sadly, all the great ones are either dead or will soon be.

Bullshit.

There are plenty of fantastic musicians around the world cranking out great stuff right now. The only difference is that we don’t have the span of time to sort out the current greats from the current chaff - that’ll come. It always does. Of course, the other option is to ask musicians who is good. They tend to have a big jump-start on the chaff sorting compared to the general public.

TA is right: there is plenty of great music recorded every year, it just never gets anything other than local airplay on independent stations. You don’t necessarily have to ask a musician. Someone who has been taking photos at music festivals since 1983 could also point you to some great music.

I’d like to hear some of this great music.  So far, all I’ve heard is “setting fire to rain”  rolleyes  and something about some “Rumor has it”- stuff like that.  I think the one in which they talk about setting fire to rain is really dumb and I get really sick of it getting stuck in my head after I leave work for the day.  I am not even sure why Adele is so popular that the stations here play her songs over and over again, more often than anything else.  Her lyrics are not even logical in the rain one and the rumour one is annoying.  Personally, I like both a good beat and lyrics that have meaning to me.

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 01 August 2012 07:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 47 ]
Total Posts:  2699
Joined  2011-04-24

Satellite radio is now the best place to hear good new artists.
At this point, it kicks the ass of terrestrial radio buy playing stuff you would never hear on your local stations.

If you got to get your radio fix, that is;  it’s possible to discover new music online if you have the free time, and know where to look.

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 01 August 2012 07:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 48 ]
Total Posts:  4850
Joined  2007-10-05
mid atlantic - 01 August 2012 07:00 AM

At this point, it kicks the ass of terrestrial radio buy playing stuff you would never hear on your local stations.

If you got to get your radio fix, that is;  it’s possible to discover new music online if you have the free time, and know where to look.

I was going to post something similar. Over-the-air radio largely sucks, but there is one exception: KPIG.

Click Pig Player in the menu bar and you’ll find dozens of hours of free streaming music, and not one Adele track.

Signature 

You cannot have a rational conversation with someone who holds irrational beliefs.

Posted: 01 August 2012 11:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 49 ]
Total Posts:  779
Joined  2009-07-17
TromboneAndrew - 29 July 2012 08:56 AM

I’ve been listening to a bit of Yes lately. They never made a chart-topper, and in a way that’s a bit of a compliment. They were a great band.

I’m a big Yes fan. BTW: They’re playing in the SF Bay Area in a few weeks. Sadly it’s not in our budget to attend. :( Although I’ve been able to see them 2 or 3 times before which were great shows. Watching Rick Wakeman with his numerous keyboards is amazing.

During the ‘80’s we were all about rock and heavy metal: Rush, Deep Purple, Scorpions, Judas Priest, Pink Floyd, Y&T, et al.

Take care,

Derek

Signature 

“It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good—and less trouble.”—Mark Twain

Posted: 01 August 2012 11:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 50 ]
Total Posts:  779
Joined  2009-07-17

For concert footage/recordings check out Wolfgang’s vault. It’s huge collection from SF Bay Area promoter Bill Graham. Sure you can buy stuff, but lot’s of it is free to listen/view. smile

Take care,

Derek

Signature 

“It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good—and less trouble.”—Mark Twain

Posted: 01 August 2012 01:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 51 ]
Total Posts:  4576
Joined  2008-08-14
harry canyon - 01 August 2012 11:17 AM
TromboneAndrew - 29 July 2012 08:56 AM

I’ve been listening to a bit of Yes lately. They never made a chart-topper, and in a way that’s a bit of a compliment. They were a great band.

I’m a big Yes fan. BTW: They’re playing in the SF Bay Area in a few weeks. Sadly it’s not in our budget to attend. :( Although I’ve been able to see them 2 or 3 times before which were great shows. Watching Rick Wakeman with his numerous keyboards is amazing.

During the ‘80’s we were all about rock and heavy metal: Rush, Deep Purple, Scorpions, Judas Priest, Pink Floyd, Y&T, et al.

Take care,

Derek

Wasn’t “Owner of a Lonely Heart” kind of high on the Charts?
Yes, I just looked it up…It hit #1 on the Hot Billboard 100 in the USA!

Signature 

Row row row your boat gently down the stream.  Merrily Merrily merrily merrily life is but a dream!

Posted: 01 August 2012 01:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 52 ]
Joined  2007-10-05
harry canyon - 01 August 2012 11:22 AM

For concert footage/recordings check out Wolfgang’s vault. It’s huge collection from SF Bay Area promoter Bill Graham. Sure you can buy stuff, but lot’s of it is free to listen/view. smile

Take care,

Derek

Thank you for that one, Derek. I have bookmarked it and will probably spend some money there.

Signature 

You cannot have a rational conversation with someone who holds irrational beliefs.

Posted: 01 August 2012 05:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 53 ]
Total Posts:  1412
Joined  2010-04-22
Mriana - 01 August 2012 05:58 AM

I’d like to hear some of this great music.  So far, all I’ve heard is “setting fire to rain”  rolleyes  and something about some “Rumor has it”- stuff like that.  I think the one in which they talk about setting fire to rain is really dumb and I get really sick of it getting stuck in my head after I leave work for the day.  I am not even sure why Adele is so popular that the stations here play her songs over and over again, more often than anything else.  Her lyrics are not even logical in the rain one and the rumour one is annoying.  Personally, I like both a good beat and lyrics that have meaning to me.

Well, tastes are of course subjective. Here’s something that I consider great:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZAZ21NnmHw

The band enters after the drum solo at about 2:25.

If that’s not quite to your taste, maybe this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTDlFkyPF-E

That’s hard to really tell what the band is doing over the crowd noise and bad camera mic in that one, but the live crowd response is incredible. This is the recorded version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADX9DdURn8o

I like epic stuff.

smile

And, of course in keeping with my username, a great trombonist:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpkqeJNHcfE

Signature 

“All musicians are subconsciously mathematicians.”

- Thelonious Monk

Posted: 01 August 2012 05:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 54 ]
Joined  2007-03-02
DarronS - 01 August 2012 07:09 AM
mid atlantic - 01 August 2012 07:00 AM

I was going to post something similar. Over-the-air radio largely sucks, but there is one exception: KPIG.

Click Pig Player in the menu bar and you’ll find dozens of hours of free streaming music, and not one Adele track.

I’m not a country music fan.  It looks like country music to me.  I just listened to the Pig Player and it sounds like Country too.

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 01 August 2012 05:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 55 ]
Joined  2007-03-02

Take care,

Derek

Wolfgang is more my speed.

Signature 

Mriana

Posted: 01 August 2012 05:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 56 ]
Joined  2007-03-02
TromboneAndrew - 01 August 2012 05:07 PM
Mriana - 01 August 2012 05:58 AM

Well, tastes are of course subjective. Here’s something that I consider great:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZAZ21NnmHw

Now that’s good stuff there.

The band enters after the drum solo at about 2:25.

If that’s not quite to your taste, maybe this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTDlFkyPF-E

Head banging isn’t my thing.

That’s hard to really tell what the band is doing over the crowd noise and bad camera mic in that one, but the live crowd response is incredible. This is the recorded version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADX9DdURn8o

Too loud! And as I said, I’m not a head banger.

I like epic stuff.

smile

And, of course in keeping with my username, a great trombonist:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpkqeJNHcfE

Now that’s much better.  smile  Jazz, Big Band, Disco/Techno/Dance/Trance/Electro, Soft Rock, some Rock, Easy listening like Barbra Streisand, Classical, Native American Music, R&B, Blues, and alike are my thing.

Signature 

Mriana

Posted: 11 August 2012 07:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 57 ]
Joined  2007-10-05

Take care,

Derek

I signed up for the 14-day trial and have been listening to some of the early Fillmore recordings. Have the Paul Butterfield Blues Band playing right now. This site is going to melt my credit card.  shock

Signature 

Posted: 16 August 2012 01:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 58 ]
Total Posts:  1805
Joined  2005-07-20

<soapbox>
Arguing matters of taste gets us nowhere.  Arguing against one musical style is like arguing that red is better, than yellow, or than blue just because you like it.  But that’s just taste, there’s no accounting for taste, no taste is better than the next and every older generation condemns the next generation’s music, none of which is valid. 

It is a real testament to music though, that people get so vested in a style that they’re willing to put their hearts behind it and argue for it, that just proves how much people love music.  So if you do love it, then defend it against the real threat against it.  If you want to have your favorite taste in music then defend VARIETY against homogenization.  That’s what corporate leaders want, they want to focus on a few formulas called “pop” music, they want to decide the direction of music, rather than having the artists and the people decide.  I support variety in music.  If you like your own taste in music, then I say go ahead and have it, and I’ll have mine.  smile
</soapbox>

There was good music is the 1980’s, the underground music was good, keeping the rebellion that Elvis did with his pelvis, that Hendrix did by burning his guitar, that Bowie did when he was Ziggy Stardust, the Ramones, Richard Hell & the Voidoids, the Sex Pistols, that the 1776 rebels originated with Enlightenment thought.  It was the rebellious Reggae music that inspired the punk rockers.  The recording studios and the night clubs supported variety, but the radio hasn’t.  The “pop” music truly became the corporate music in the 1980’s decade, so it lost its heart, and its passion, it was music that didn’t speak to anyone, it was just there to make money.  But the underground music rebelled against that idea lacking any human spirit inside of it.  Please don’t ignore the underground music just because the corporates did.  The rebellion then was sexual, was about free speech, was gay, was fully energized, was atheist, it was exciting and thrilling, it was new, yeah sure it was adolescent, but nothing is perfect.  smile

In the 1980’s there was Bad Brains, Bad Religion, Suicidal Tendencies, Kreator, the Cramps, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Fishbone, Pogues, Sonic Youth, etc.  There were many styles of music then, that’s where rap originated to, rap was just party music when it began in NYC, not criminal, earlier than the 1980’s, Blondie rapped during Rapture[1:56], the rap which was never played on the radio, Fab Five Freddy appeared in the song who later hosted “Yo, MTV Raps”, and Sugar Hill Gang was in the 1979, Don Cornealius’ Soul Train played lots of good music on television in the 1980’s.

These underground bands the PEOPLE chose to support, these bands played what the PEOPLE wanted and the concerts were a blast, the PEOPLE loved the high energy rock ‘n’ roll, taking off all of the cultural chains, and all the fun of keeping the rebellion up, a taste of freedom from the false moralists who oppose the democratic morals of free speech, culture, and freedom of conscience.  smile  The rock ‘n’ roll rebellion was alive and well in the 1980’s, not that the radio would play it.

And there were some pop music that did well too, not many, but there were some. Cindi Lauper have beautiful songs like “True Colors”, “Time After Time”, a cover of the Reggae style James “Sugar Boy” Crawford “Jock-a-mo/Iko Iko” song, the sexual rebel song “She Bop”, and she wore a newspaper skirt on her first album cover. smile  The Police and String took the Reggae idea, just as Punk Rock did before that, and The Police took their music to the radio.  Today Gotye - “Somebody That I Used To Know” has a similar sound to what The Police made.  Lionel Ritchie, Elton John, Billy Joel, all made quality music in the 1980’s.  If you’re not aware of all this then condemning the entire decade is not fair, just based on the radio music.  Its rare that pop music plays a really gripping good song, but they occasionally do with Joan Osborne - Right Hand Man (In the spirit of Dusty Springfield, and Janis Joplin, and the Blues.), Dido - Thank You...  I saw Pink Floyd in concert once, they were amazing truly.  smile

Tragically, the underground music also includes the White Power bands, music that promotes war against minorities, and this music was separated from the other normal music that was meant for entertainment.  That segment of the underground music has led to the shooting in Wisconsin by the true suicidal murderer Michael Page, I hear that he is part of that White Power sub-culture, which has always been kept separate from the normal underground musics.

Signature 

I saw a happy rainbow recently.

Posted: 16 August 2012 03:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 59 ]
Total Posts:  6171
Joined  2006-12-20
jump_in_the_pit - 16 August 2012 01:19 PM

<soapbox>
Arguing matters of taste gets us nowhere.  Arguing against one musical style is like arguing that red is better, than yellow, or than blue just because you like it.  But that’s just taste, there’s no accounting for taste, no taste is better than the next and every older generation condemns the next generation’s music, none of which is valid. 

Yep.

Stephen

Posted: 16 August 2012 03:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 60 ]
Total Posts:  6171
Joined  2006-12-20
mid atlantic - 29 July 2012 10:44 PM
DarronS - 29 July 2012 07:54 PM

The 20th Century saw an unprecedented explosion of great music; from Jelly Roll Morton to Nirvana, there has never been so much excellent music written in another century, and there will probably never be so much great music in such a short time again. George’s comment is irrelevant. Popularity does not equal greatness.

Nirvana’s not great music.

It is!

Which just means ‘I love it’.

Stephen

4 of 6