6 of 6
1985 - The Worst Year in History for Popular Music
Posted: 23 August 2012 01:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 76 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4865
Joined  2007-10-05

That’s a great idea Stephen. We should start one.

Signature 

You cannot have a rational conversation with someone who holds irrational beliefs.

Posted: 26 August 2012 12:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 77 ]
Total Posts:  1424
Joined  2010-04-22

Todd in the Shadows might disagree, and propose 1987:

http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/teamt/tis/tpsr/27467-songs1987

Ahhhhh, comedic videos. Food for my sadistic soul.

Trust me, the payoff at the end is worth it.

Signature 

“All musicians are subconsciously mathematicians.”

- Thelonious Monk

Posted: 26 August 2012 11:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 78 ]
Joined  2007-10-05

Yeah, 1987 sucked too. Kenny G. is to Pop music as Thomas Kincaid was to art. I loved the video you linked. Well worth watching.

Signature 

You cannot have a rational conversation with someone who holds irrational beliefs.

Posted: 26 August 2012 03:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 79 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

You guys can argue about 1986 vs. 1987, but I go with the line in a Gilbert & Sullivan play, “Art stopped short/ in the cultivated court/ of the Empress Josephine.” LOL

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 29 August 2012 07:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 80 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  37
Joined  2012-07-13
TromboneAndrew - 26 August 2012 12:22 AM

Todd in the Shadows might disagree, and propose 1987:

http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/teamt/tis/tpsr/27467-songs1987

I have to say that most of the “worst” songs in the video are ones I love.  The late 80’s was when I was in grades 9, 10, 11 and 12 (GRAD ‘89 RULES!!!), so music from that era has tons of emotion (most really good) associated with it.  I can’t hear those songs without tuning out and reliving my adolescence.  It’s a very emotional reaction for me.

One person’s garbage is another person’s treasure.

Signature 

It is morally as bad not to care whether a thing is true or not, so long as it makes you feel good, as it is not to care how you got your money as long as you have got it.  Edmund Way Teale, Circle of the Seasons

Posted: 30 August 2012 02:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 81 ]
Total Posts:  1805
Joined  2005-07-20
Mriana - 16 August 2012 11:15 PM

Jump in the Pit, most of the groups you named I didn’t like.  I’m not even a big Elvis fan.  About the only songs I liked by him was In the Ghetto and Ain’t Nothin’ But a Hound Dog (Big Mama Thorton originally sung it and did it far far better than Elvis. Sadly, Elvis Pelvis got rich off his poorer rendition and Big Mama died penniless).

Of course you don’t.  Finding that someone else has different taste in music is like finding out that someone else has different taste in hairstyles.

Cyndi Lauper SUCKED! (IMO, of course)

Cyndi had many great songs, now becoming classics, I think.  I still even see her in TV commercials.  She’s got a big gay following that are supporting her too, and she supports them.

It nice to learn about your tastes Mriana, I’m open-minded about music and see some good in any style of music.  Not that I don’t have my taste for the high energy cultural rebel rock ‘n’ roll, the Irish folk romance and Irish folk rebel music, the classical (alto sopranos, woodwinds, etc), even some pop, and more.  And I even like Stacy Q’s “Two of Hearts” because she was clever how she mixed the sexy lyrics with the loving ones, and Lady Gaga’s Vaudeville act, fun music. cool smile  I’ve seen Cher perform… she did some medleys smile... well, she is Cher!

I’m surprised you didn’t mention ABBA, Mriana.  Soul Train was truly underrated, they did some great performances on that show.

Signature 

I saw a happy rainbow recently.

Posted: 30 August 2012 02:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 82 ]
Total Posts:  7614
Joined  2007-03-02
jump_in_the_pit - 30 August 2012 02:36 PM

Jump in the Pit, most of the groups you named I didn’t like.  I’m not even a big Elvis fan.  About the only songs I liked by him was In the Ghetto and Ain’t Nothin’ But a Hound Dog (Big Mama Thorton originally sung it and did it far far better than Elvis. Sadly, Elvis Pelvis got rich off his poorer rendition and Big Mama died penniless).

Of course you don’t.  Finding that someone else has different taste in music is like finding out that someone else has different taste in hairstyles.

Cyndi Lauper SUCKED! (IMO, of course)

Cyndi had many great songs, now becoming classics, I think.  I still even see her in TV commercials.  She’s got a big gay following that are supporting her too, and she supports them.

It nice to learn about your tastes Mriana, I’m open-minded about music and see some good in any style of music.  Not that I don’t have my taste for the high energy cultural rebel rock ‘n’ roll, the Irish folk romance and Irish folk rebel music, the classical (alto sopranos, woodwinds, etc), even some pop, and more.  And I even like Stacy Q’s “Two of Hearts” because she was clever how she mixed the sexy lyrics with the loving ones, and Lady Gaga’s Vaudeville act, fun music. cool smile  I’ve seen Cher perform… she did some medleys smile... well, she is Cher!

I’m surprised you didn’t mention ABBA, Mriana.  Soul Train was truly underrated, they did some great performances on that show.

I have a wide variety of tastes, but Lauper is not one of them.  ABBA is one of them, but the list was getting too long as was.  I can go on forever, but it’s mostly 70s music and artists.  It’s not all 70s, but most of it is.

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 06 September 2012 10:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 83 ]
Joined  2005-07-20

From the 1980’s bands, I like Sonic Youth.  They don’t play simple music, they play complex music, some classical music has that quality too, but they do it rock ‘n roll style using feedback, guitar harmonics, phasers, and so on, all as a musical instruments.  Their songs usually start simply and grow more complex, so that its easy to comprehend the complexities.  Its good music.

Austin City Limits - PBS - Sonic Youth [HD]

Signature 

Posted: 06 September 2012 10:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 84 ]
Total Posts:  3063
Joined  2010-04-26

The 80s actually produced some great bands.  Sonic Youth is one.  A lot of other punk and experimental bands came about as well; Butthole Surfers, Black Flag, Dead Kennedys, Scratch Acid, etc.  One of my favorites is Big Black.  Their music was decidedly (and purposely) harsh and jagged.  They used metal picks notched with tin snips and a drum machine that sounds like a jackhammer.  And the lyrics….  There are very few bands that have gone as far out of their way to piss off and disturb their own fans as Big Black did.

Signature 

“In the end nature is horrific and teaches us nothing.” -Mutual of Omicron

Posted: 06 September 2012 10:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 85 ]
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29
Dead Monky - 06 September 2012 10:12 AM

Their music was decidedly (and purposely) harsh and jagged.

Not music, DM. Noise. It is not music, just like a dog poop is not a sculpture.

Posted: 06 September 2012 01:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 86 ]
Joined  2005-07-20

Sonic Youth - Schizophrenia - A D D

Sonic Youth was called “noise rock”, but it isn’t gibberish noise, it is music.  Its just that the complexities can sound like noise if one gets lost in the multiple beats.

Heh heh heh… Black Flag, those guys literally just got together for some beers, added some microphones, and pressed the record button.  I saw Rollins once.

Then there was the beginnings of Industrial Music in the 1980’s with Ministry, and more, I’d call that Big Black link industrial.  The artists in NYC circa the 1960’s were invited into NYC to populate Soho’s old warehouses for cheap, that became very trendy and prices skyrocketed, that’s where the loft apartment idea came from.  The artists took the industrial interior decorators’ style from that experience which took off like a rocket in the 1980’s, and then some musicians turned that idea into music, and so became industrial music.  Art of Noise was similar but dance music, electronica started in the 1980’s, Madonna took her influence from them when she started changing her styles.

Goth music got its start in the 1980’s with The Cure, Siouxsie and the Banshees, and more, MTV eventually started to branch out by broadcasting Goth with their show “Alternative Nation”.  MTV also branched out with “Headbanger’s Ball” but those were late night shows only.  They did put “Yo, MTV Raps” in the afternoon.  It took them years before MTV branched away from just pop.  Then after the 1980’s, MTV hardly played music anymore, they focused on drama and other theatrics, they started “reality TV” with “Real World” which wasn’t staged the way that today’s “reality TV” is, it was candid though edited.

It was just 1980’s pop radio that was bland and plain vanilla, that was the choice of the corporations, the creative music was thriving but was underground in the 1980’s, only the radio rejected most of it, but the recording studios, nightclubs, and the public enjoyed it.

Signature 

Posted: 06 September 2012 01:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 87 ]
Joined  2005-07-20

Heh heh heh, when the Youth made their pop radio song they simplified it by sequencing the beats just one at a time, rather than combining them.  It still sounded pretty good, but not as good as their normal technique.  Oh that one-of-a-kind voice that Kim Gordon has, incomparable.  smile  Not unlike the wood files that they use to play their guitars!  That’s design for you, right George?  smile

Signature 

Posted: 07 September 2012 05:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 88 ]
Total Posts:  2717
Joined  2011-04-24
Dead Monky - 06 September 2012 10:12 AM

The 80s actually produced some great bands.  Sonic Youth is one.  A lot of other punk and experimental bands came about as well; Butthole Surfers, Black Flag, Dead Kennedys, Scratch Acid, etc.  One of my favorites is Big Black.  Their music was decidedly (and purposely) harsh and jagged.  They used metal picks notched with tin snips and a drum machine that sounds like a jackhammer.  And the lyrics….  There are very few bands that have gone as far out of their way to piss off and disturb their own fans as Big Black did.

Big Black has one of the greatest album titles of all time. http://www.allmusic.com/album/songs-about-fucking-mw0000193691

Outside of that I’m not too familiar with them.

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 07 September 2012 06:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 89 ]
Joined  2007-10-05

Caravan had the best album title of all time: If I Could Do it All Over Again I’d Do it All Over You.

Signature 

Posted: 11 September 2012 08:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 90 ]
Total Posts:  3063
Joined  2010-04-26
George - 06 September 2012 10:43 AM

Not music, DM. Noise. It is not music, just like a dog poop is not a sculpture.

Pfeh.  Philistine.  wink

Signature 

“In the end nature is horrific and teaches us nothing.” -Mutual of Omicron

6 of 6