“You’re just jealous because the voices aren’t talking to you”

Signature 

We need each other, to keep ourselves honest

Posted: 13 May 2013 11:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6103
Joined  2009-02-26

Gordon,
Schizophrenia is a devil like disease , with hellish symptoms as mentioned above and evil mental disorders that follow… so in my text below I may refer to it as the devil.

And why on earth would you want to do that?  When the engine in my car needs a tune-up is it possessed by a devil? There is no difference between you and your car.

Your very use of the term speaks to me of a certain secret delight in “being possessed”. After all it is not everybody who gets to talk to demons. It’s special!

“Christine” was a very popular movie. Imagine owning a car like that?  Kewlllllllll…man.

Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 13 May 2013 01:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  16
Joined  2011-05-14
Write4U - 13 May 2013 11:40 AM

Gordon,
Schizophrenia is a devil like disease , with hellish symptoms as mentioned above and evil mental disorders that follow… so in my text below I may refer to it as the devil.

And why on earth would you want to do that?  When the engine in my car needs a tune-up is it possessed by a devil? There is no difference between you and your car.

Your very use of the term speaks to me of a certain secret delight in “being possessed”. After all it is not everybody who gets to talk to demons. It’s special!

“Christine” was a very popular movie. Imagine owning a car like that?  Kewlllllllll…man.

noted ... good point .... am currently working on an edit ....  oh oh will strip out any mention of the “devil” ...

thanks

I am not now, nor will ever be, delighted in “being possessed”. I do not talk to “demons”

I am just a plain ole schizo. ( so are you !! ) cool smile

[ Edited: 20 May 2013 02:02 AM by Gordon ]
 Signature 

Atheism - The belief that there was nothing and nothing happened to nothing and then nothing magically exploded for no reason,  creating everything which magically rearranged itself for no reason what so ever into self-replicating bits which then turned into dinosaurs.  Makes perfect sense.

Posted: 13 May 2013 06:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
Joined  2009-02-26
Gordon - 13 May 2013 01:44 PM
Write4U - 13 May 2013 11:40 AM

Gordon,

noted ... good point .... am currently working on an edit .... will strip out any mention of the “devil” ...

thanks

I am not now, nor will ever be, delighted in “being possessed”. I do not talk to “demons”

I am just a plain ole schizo.

For what it is worth, I would also strip out any mention of God.
IMHO, you will able to address your condition more clearly to medical experts without any “spiritual aspects”. That is for the clergy and they are not medically qualified to offer relief from your condition. If anything, spiritualism will aggravate your condition as spiritualism specifically acknowledges these voices coming from “outside” instead of “inside” where you may be able to deal with them.

If my observation is off-base, please forgive. It is offered from good will.

Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 13 May 2013 09:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]
Total Posts:  3186
Joined  2011-11-04
Write4U - 19 July 2012 03:20 PM

IMO, the best test if the voices come from inside or outside is electro shock. If afterward you still hear the voices they come from the outside. OTOH If they disappear, along with that part of the brain that was fried, it follows that the mind created these voices to begin with….. cheese

Up with electro shock! big surprise

ECT is not an accepted form of treatment for schizophrenia.  It can treat major depression that doesn’t respond to medications.  It might be helpful if the person had schizo-affective disorder, which looks a lot like schizophrenia.  Or it might help if the person with schizophrenia also had a co-existing depressive disorder.

Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

Posted: 13 May 2013 09:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]
Joined  2011-11-04
Gordon - 18 July 2012 09:30 AM

...My conclusions therefore are:

This “illness” is an omnipresent being in us all, a singularity that lives on this planet, a being whose greatest trick has been to deceive us all into believing it does not exist.
Schizophrenia and demonic possession, are but the tools used by this being, this alter ego that exists in us all, to mask and hide itself. If discovered it will cause not only you but others to question your sanity and scare you into the submission of non awareness.
In the sane and normal person it offers no more information than can be drawn from your own knowledge and life experiences because to to do otherwise would raise suspicion of someone other than yourself existing in your own head.

To all skeptics I say “prove to me that it is not” and to remind you, humanity once thought the earth was flat.

Gordon, I have first hand knowledge of a delusion, having experienced such, once, when under the influence of LSD.  Being what you might call a “sane and normal person”, I recognized it as such, later.  I consider your conclusions to be a delusion, BUT, I do not begrudge you of believing it, if it is tight enough to keep you functioning well, as the relative coherence of your post suggests.  After all, I consider most religious beliefs to be rather delusional, and most “sane and normal persons” tolerate such beliefs among the greater population of the world.

Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

Posted: 13 May 2013 10:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]
Joined  2011-11-04
Gordon - 11 May 2013 09:11 AM

[

Defeat Schizophrenia by doing the following :

Please do not be afraid to seek mental counseling from a qualified psychiatrist.

Refuse to become,  paranoid and isolated….share and discuss your experiences with your friends (please trust in your friends , family and embrace counseling ) or even online….at the very least you will be able to get a few good laughs out of it.

If unable to sleep, or suffering sleep deprivation , concentrate and listen to a soothing audio of your choice , by leaving the TV or radio on the whole night ,you will enjoy a dreamless sleep.
You may not be able to bear a turned on TV or radio… in which case find a chant, song or sound you like and repeat it constantly in your head to block the voices, till you fall asleep.

Refuse to let your thoughts trouble you…remember it is not your mind doing this but the devil who is the intruder ,  placing, inciting, evoking and causing you to remember or think about things you may not want to and causing guilt and fear. Take deep breaths and force yourself to live in the present .  Keep a happy picture in your head that you can refer to at anytime when troubled.

Write down your experiences ( not your guilt ), in a notebook or on your computer,  this will help you escape the trap of your own mind,  the act of putting words to paper will snap you into reality.

Vigorous exercise will cure depression by flooding your brain with the chemical dopamine,  a natural feel good and high. 

Give yourself a positive label …. Such as happy, prosperous, brave, strong, willed, joyful, peaceful, good, well, or any other label of positive reinforcement to counter the negative emotions/character building in your mind. I have used self hypnosis to do this, my method is to constantly repeat my positive reinforcements till I fall asleep. 

Put all your concentration into your work and hobbies. 

Feel free to vent your anger on the voices alone ….. Never, ever,  on friends and family, the devil is trying to isolate you from them, and once isolated things could get a lot worse for you.

Inform and help your fellow sufferers and offer your friendship and companionship…this devil preys on all mankind,  especially the lonely.

Above all, Give thanks and praise to GOD.

regards

gordon

There apparently a lot of people who have auditory hallucinations who function well.  I wouldn’t be surprised if many persons with schizophrenia would be helped by following the suggestions above.  The only parts that I personally have a problem with are the references near the end, to the devil and God.  But that’s me, and I am not personally trying to overcome schizophrenia, so if it helps… like I said, most people in the world seem, to me, to have, IMO, delusion-like thinking, as most people in the world seem to accept their own religious beliefs, as truth, despite evidence to the contrary.

Signature 

Posted: 14 May 2013 04:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]
Total Posts:  3203
Joined  2011-08-15

Or how about a medicine to control your schizophrenia as it is a chemical imbalance after all. We’ve gotten past the demon, devil cause and sympathetic medicine doesn’t work so how about clinically proven medications that are at least able to control it. I’ve seen this anomaly my whole life as I was raised around an aunt who has this affliction. Until she was diagnosed she was extremely paranoid, and delusional e.g. Talked to god and the devil. With the medication she appears normal and the paranoia is at least controlled.

http://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/publications/mental-health-medications/what-medications-are-used-to-treat-schizophrenia.shtml

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 14 May 2013 12:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]
Joined  2011-11-04
Thevillageatheist - 14 May 2013 04:26 AM

Or how about a medicine to control your schizophrenia as it is a chemical imbalance after all. We’ve gotten past the demon, devil cause and sympathetic medicine doesn’t work so how about clinically proven medications that are at least able to control it. I’ve seen this anomaly my whole life as I was raised around an aunt who has this affliction. Until she was diagnosed she was extremely paranoid, and delusional e.g. Talked to god and the devil. With the medication she appears normal and the paranoia is at least controlled.

http://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/publications/mental-health-medications/what-medications-are-used-to-treat-schizophrenia.shtml

Cap’t Jack

My father had schizophrenia (now deceased).  My brother has schizophrenia.  Medicine can definitely control problems such as hallucinations, delusions, and severe mental disorganization, but it typically must be taken throughout one’s lifetime, and can have increasingly debilitating unwanted effects.  Thus, if a person who has schizophrenia finds and utilizes other healthy coping mechanisms that decrease the amount of needed medications, that would seem to me to be a good thing.

Signature 

Posted: 14 May 2013 02:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 40 ]
Joined  2009-02-26

While scuba-diving I experienced “nitrogen narcosis” . It felt as if I was spinning in the water and completely lost sense of up or down.  I rapped my tank to warn my buddies I was in trouble. When one of my buddies blew some air into an empty beer can and released it right in front of me, I was sure he was making fun of me. When I shied away, my other buddy, along with his speargun, came rushing towards me. I suddenly felt they were going to kill me. 

It took all the logic I could muster to escape that terrible feeling of panic.  I asked myself why my buddies would possibly want to kill me, in view that they were there to assist me? I could not come up with an answer and that helped a great deal. By that time they had gotten hold of me and were helping me ascend slowly to the surface.

It was scary though, to know I was at 100’ deep under water and had lost control over my mental functions. In retrospect I consider it a great and sobering experience.

[ Edited: 14 May 2013 03:08 PM by Write4U ]
 Signature 

W4U

Posted: 14 May 2013 04:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 41 ]
Joined  2011-11-04
Write4U - 14 May 2013 02:55 PM

While scuba-diving I experienced “nitrogen narcosis” . It felt as if I was spinning in the water and completely lost sense of up or down.  I rapped my tank to warn my buddies I was in trouble. When one of my buddies blew some air into an empty beer can and released it right in front of me, I was sure he was making fun of me. When I shied away, my other buddy, along with his speargun, came rushing towards me. I suddenly felt they were going to kill me. 

It took all the logic I could muster to escape that terrible feeling of panic.  I asked myself why my buddies would possibly want to kill me, in view that they were there to assist me? I could not come up with an answer and that helped a great deal. By that time they had gotten hold of me and were helping me ascend slowly to the surface.

It was scary though, to know I was at 100’ deep under water and had lost control over my mental functions. In retrospect I consider it a great and sobering experience.

There you go.  You were experiencing a delusion. A delusion seems absolutely real to the person experiencing it.

Signature 

Posted: 14 May 2013 09:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 42 ]
Joined  2009-02-26
TimB - 14 May 2013 04:06 PM

There you go.  You were experiencing a delusion. A delusion seems absolutely real to the person experiencing it.

Part of the problem was that all the things I observed did in fact happen in a physical sense. The problem lies in the logical interpretation of the facts. Perhaps the panic experience is very fundamental and is related to the flight response in all living organisms. When triggered, flight is hard to resist.

Signature 

W4U

Posted: 14 May 2013 10:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 43 ]
Joined  2011-11-04
Write4U - 14 May 2013 09:51 PM
TimB - 14 May 2013 04:06 PM

Part of the problem was that all the things I observed did in fact happen in a physical sense. The problem lies in the logical interpretation of the facts. Perhaps the panic experience is very fundamental and is related to the flight response in all living organisms. When triggered, flight is hard to resist.

Whatever the biochemical reactions were, it felt absolutely true to you, that your friends were going to kill you.  (That was the delusion.)  It goes to show that we can’t always trust our feelings. Can you imagine what a person with schizophrenia goes through, often times, when every fibre of their being is telling them that some outlandish belief is absolutely true?

Signature 

Posted: 14 May 2013 11:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 44 ]
Joined  2009-02-26

It just occurred to me that everyone probably experiences some illusions in every day life. Fortunately most are minor aspects of a situation, such as optical illusions. Sometimes the mirror neural network is unable to process certain data or combinations of shapes and colors.

This one is really interesting and more than a little scary. Where else does this happen that we are not even aware of?

When one stares at the cross for about 20 seconds or so, one first sees a gap running around the circle of lilac disks, then a green disk running around the circle of lilac disks, then a green disk running around on the grey background, the lilac disks having disappeared or having been erased by the green disk.

http://www.123opticalillusions.com/pages/lilac_chaser.php

It seems impossible, but the illusion (hallucination) is almost irresistible, when really focusing on the center.

[ Edited: 15 May 2013 12:21 AM by Write4U ]
 Signature 

W4U

Posted: 15 May 2013 05:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 45 ]
Joined  2011-11-04

Just about everyone can see Optical illusions.  Not everyone sees, hears, etc., hallucinations.  Delusions are also in another class, as they have to do with beliefs and feeling that those beliefs are true despite evidence (that others can easily identify) that the beliefs are unfounded.  (I think that religious beliefs sometimes approach delusionality, but these are so ingrained in our society that they are typically not considered to be delusions.)

Signature 

3 of 5