5 of 5
The earth was once flat !!
Posted: 19 May 2013 11:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 61 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4142
Joined  2008-08-14
Write4U - 19 May 2013 12:27 AM

Question just came to mind:

We know those who committed suicide believed they would go to heaven.  I wonder how many religious people would also believe these people went to heaven? I’m sure of at least one religion which promises entrance by killing yourself along with a bunch of other innocent bystanders as long as it is not specifically forbidden. Perhaps some other tribal warrior religions may,  Japan and China did also, until outlawed.
But would any sane person even entertain the thought?  I call it delusional.

Yeah…the fringe stuff is more grey.
I guarantee you that many in the Jim Jones cult were NOT delusional.  Many of those folks were just regular religious seekers who were also very poor folk who were disenchanted with the usual system.
I believe the process that led to their mass suicide was very complicated, but up to the end I think there were lots(majority) of those folks who were sane.
As for the smaller cults who knows?  Whats the dividing line between brain washed and delusional?

Signature 

Row row row your boat gently down the stream.  Merrily Merrily merrily merrily life is but a dream!

Posted: 19 May 2013 01:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 62 ]
Total Posts:  5975
Joined  2009-02-26

VYAZMA,

What’s the dividing line between brain washed and delusional?

I can’t give you a specific drawn line but it happened in “1984”........25r30wi.gif

Sorry, couldn’t resist.

Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 19 May 2013 03:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 63 ]
Total Posts:  2767
Joined  2011-11-04
VYAZMA - 19 May 2013 11:35 AM
Write4U - 19 May 2013 12:27 AM

Question just came to mind:

We know those who committed suicide believed they would go to heaven.  I wonder how many religious people would also believe these people went to heaven? I’m sure of at least one religion which promises entrance by killing yourself along with a bunch of other innocent bystanders as long as it is not specifically forbidden. Perhaps some other tribal warrior religions may,  Japan and China did also, until outlawed.
But would any sane person even entertain the thought?  I call it delusional.

Yeah…the fringe stuff is more grey.
I guarantee you that many in the Jim Jones cult were NOT delusional.  Many of those folks were just regular religious seekers who were also very poor folk who were disenchanted with the usual system.
I believe the process that led to their mass suicide was very complicated, but up to the end I think there were lots(majority) of those folks who were sane.
As for the smaller cults who knows?  Whats the dividing line between brain washed and delusional?

I think that a delusion is typically a more acute immediate neurochemical phenemenon than are the beliefs which one gains from “brainwashing”.

Remember the Haile-Bopp comet guys?  They probably fit in the “brain-washed” category, unless they were perpetually on some psychogenic drugs of some kind.

Signature 

“Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb… We are bound to others, past and present… And by each crime and every kindness… We birth our future.”  Sonmi, 2144.

5 of 5