Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 18 July 2012 03:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4051
Joined  2006-11-28

I’ve never understood why people who bash the pharmaceutical industry (rightly so, in many cases) for buying influence in Washington give a free pass to the supplement industry for being even more effective at doing the same thing. They have managed to avoid all but the most ineffectual token regulation despite little evidence that most of their products are beneficial, and clear evidence some are harmful.

Signature 

The SkeptVet
The SkeptVet Blog
Militant Agnostic: I don’t know, and neither do you!

Posted: 18 July 2012 04:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2018
Joined  2007-04-26
mckenzievmd - 18 July 2012 03:54 PM

I’ve never understood why people who bash the pharmaceutical industry (rightly so, in many cases) for buying influence in Washington give a free pass to the supplement industry for being even more effective at doing the same thing. They have managed to avoid all but the most ineffectual token regulation despite little evidence that most of their products are beneficial, and clear evidence some are harmful.

Its not just influence buying where they get a free pass. People mistrust “Big Pharma” because they are a multi billion dollar industry implying that with that money comes the impulse to do bad deeds in pursuit of the almighty dollar yet somehow they don’t see the supplement industry in the same light even though they too are a multi billion dollar industry. They talk about the supplement companies as though they are a bunch of mom and pop concerns which are only in it for the good of mankind. Someone in the supplement lobby deserves an A+ for the way they have manipulated public opinion.

Signature 

For every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, obvious,.... and just plain wrong