4 of 5
this is why no one like atheists
Posted: 30 July 2012 06:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 46 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2888
Joined  2011-08-15

What is the “goodness” of Theism?

Of the belief? None. It’s self delusional and mixed with legislative power, very dangerous to all of us. My take on what Asanta wrote is that the are professing theists who perform “good” acts as a humanist would. There are many floppy bookers out there who believe in helping their fellow man in whatever capacity, call it humanism or altruism.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 30 July 2012 01:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 47 ]
Total Posts:  5976
Joined  2009-02-26
Thevillageatheist - 30 July 2012 06:18 AM

What is the “goodness” of Theism?

Of the belief? None. It’s self delusional and mixed with legislative power, very dangerous to all of us. My take on what Asanta wrote is that the are professing theists who perform “good” acts as a humanist would. There are many floppy bookers out there who believe in helping their fellow man in whatever capacity, call it humanism or altruism.
Cap’t Jack

Oh, I agree wholeheartedly.  The question was posed for CJ to examine critically.

Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 30 July 2012 02:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 48 ]
Total Posts:  5187
Joined  2010-06-16

I had trouble with the title of this thread:  “this is why no one like atheists”.  If it means there are no others like atheists, depending on which differentiating characteristics are being used, I suppose it could be true.  If it means no one likes atheists, then it’s false because I’m an atheist. I’m delightful, and everyone likes me. LOL

Occam

(Well, almost everyone.)

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 30 July 2012 02:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 49 ]
Joined  2009-02-26
Occam. - 30 July 2012 02:09 PM

I had trouble with the title of this thread:  “this is why no one like atheists”.  If it means there are no others like atheists, depending on which differentiating characteristics are being used, I suppose it could be true.  If it means no one likes atheists, then it’s false because I’m an atheist. I’m delightful, and everyone likes me. LOL
Occam
(Well, almost everyone.)

Well, your succinct clarity is sometimes annoying. To be able to say in a few words what takes me a page.  I hate you!!!!!!!

But then, I better be nice to a moderator…...they have power….... cheese

Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 30 July 2012 03:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 50 ]
Joined  2011-08-15

I had trouble with the title of this thread:  “this is why no one like atheists”.  If it means there are no others like atheists, depending on which differentiating characteristics are being used, I suppose it could be true.  If it means no one likes atheists, then it’s false because I’m an atheist. I’m delightful, and everyone likes me.

Wow! I didn’t know Stuart Smalley was an atheist! How cool is that? grin

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

Thomas Paine

Posted: 30 July 2012 03:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 51 ]
Joined  2010-06-16

Come on, guy.  Let’s not pull a Romney and do only a partial quote to distort the meaning.  I ended it with a laughing smiley to show that I was joking and also with (almost everyone).  snake

Occam

Signature 

Posted: 30 July 2012 03:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 52 ]
Joined  2011-08-15

Come on, guy.  Let’s not pull a Romney and do only a partial quote to distort the meaning.  I ended it with a laughing smiley to show that I was joking and also with (almost everyone). 

Occam

Hey now, you old fuds are supposed to be kind, understanding and grandfatherly. The Dracula smiley I can take but do you have to curse me with a Romney analogy? That cuts me to the quick Occam.  tongue rolleye

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

Thomas Paine

Posted: 30 July 2012 05:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 53 ]
Joined  2010-06-16

Where the hell did you get “kind, understanding and grandfatherly”?  Senile and crotchety probably fits better. smile

Occam

Signature 

Posted: 30 July 2012 06:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 54 ]
Joined  2011-08-15

Where the hell did you get “kind, understanding and grandfatherly”?  Senile and crotchety probably fits better.

Occam

Hmmm, that reminds me of some people I know well. I was hoping that older Californians didn’t share those characteristics with the cismississippians!  cheese

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

Thomas Paine

Posted: 30 July 2012 07:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 55 ]
Joined  2009-02-26
Thevillageatheist - 30 July 2012 06:55 PM

Where the hell did you get “kind, understanding and grandfatherly”?  Senile and crotchety probably fits better.

Occam

Hmmm, that reminds me of some people I know well. I was hoping that older Californians didn’t share those characteristics with the cismississippians!  cheese

Cap’t Jack

Thank god i don’t stutter or have a lisp, that word is a jawbreaker .... cheese

Signature 

W4U

Posted: 31 July 2012 07:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 56 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  10
Joined  2012-07-20

hello.
again i would like to say i don’t like that i can’t see all of the rest of thread and have to remember everything - gee - i ain’t no politician!!!
my original reason for coming here is cause - in response to Obama’s statement that the Aurora killings were just terrible - it stated that “Atheist proponent, Tom Flynn” stated that Obama’s statements were exclusionary.  therefore - even tho many of you cried loudly that there is no such thing “as a leader of atheists” - - - the media obviously does not listen to any of you.
everyone here has constantly stated - that atheism is just a statement of a non-belief in a god and everyone otherwise has their own views about everything else and there is no organization and we don’t want an organization and we are all sort of kinda against being cubby-holed or preceived to be against or for anything cause we are all our own person, etc., etc.
IMHO, unfortunately, you all miss the point.  - - - i UNDERSTAND the main precepts of atheism - and i again state - 1) atheism MUST accept (or be aware of, not especially condone, but be aware of) ALL faiths/beliefs and respect that position and that 2) atheism DOES need a leader who can stand up and give a thoughtful, meaningful and political-aware presentation of the basic atheistic stance.
Why?
Let’s say there are 120 million atheists (closet or otherwise) - all flapping away how they don’t believe, they don’t have a leader, there is no cause, atheism is just a statement.  yet - religious wars go on.  i guess - you can be an atheist and still be a hawk ; i guess you can still be an atheist and still be a dove.  (boy, does that statement date me).  maybe my confusion is that i would think - or i’m an adherent of - if it’s a religious war (and most wars really are religious-based) - i’m against.  so no one here believes we ought to get together and sort of have a duty to mankind to stop war - even though most wars are religiously based?  don’t even try to tell me that the Iraqi war, the war against Osama, the whatever war we are in right now is not somehow religiously based - of course it is. 
i’m NOT here to cause distress - and for goodness sakes, i’m not a “fanatic” {boy did i love that one, geez}.
in fact - i myself am in distress.  i do feel - yes, feel - that there is NO God.  but what good is that if all a bunch of atheists are is a bunch of sniping little nobodies complaining that america has “In God We Trust” on US currency or if Obama said the “G” word in a comment?  Are we all just snipers? complaining our life away? - - -  where instead we COULD become a VOICE of a NEW UNDERSTANDING - overcoming religious superstitions and assumptions and the 5-6 millenniums of religious persecutions that enveloped the humanity of this planet - and still RULES it?
you cry independence - yet you all cower in individualism.
there is NO WAY to overcome religious oppression if everyone is just so - - - non-comittal.
there is another world out there.  do you all want humanity to fight forever?  we all DO have an obligation.  but ya know, if no one takes me up on it, what’s the point?

Posted: 31 July 2012 07:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 57 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  10
Joined  2012-07-20

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atheism

Posted: 31 July 2012 07:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 58 ]
Total Posts:  7506
Joined  2007-03-02

Again, why don’t you try the FFRF and the other links I posted.  You might find what you are looking for there, but atheism itself doesn’t declare any leader, but groups such as FFRF, American Humanists Association, Secular Humanists, and American Atheists might have what you might call a leader.  Have you checked into those groups? You don’t sound as though you have. Atheists do not all think alike and that’s why so many different groups.  If you check out the various secular organizations you might very well find you are looking for.

As for respecting religion… Why?  Esp when it does mare harm than good.  It seem like shear silliness to insist on it when many religious groups do so much harm in the name of their deity.

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 31 July 2012 07:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 59 ]
Total Posts:  7506
Joined  2007-03-02
Cjgager - 31 July 2012 07:48 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atheism

That has nothing to do with a leader and I, personally don’t know why you posted the link when it says mostly what we’ve all said already.

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 31 July 2012 08:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 60 ]
Total Posts:  2588
Joined  2011-04-24
Cjgager - 31 July 2012 07:41 PM

hello.
again i would like to say i don’t like that i can’t see all of the rest of thread and have to remember everything - gee - i ain’t no politician!!!
my original reason for coming here is cause - in response to Obama’s statement that the Aurora killings were just terrible - it stated that “Atheist proponent, Tom Flynn” stated that Obama’s statements were exclusionary.  therefore - even tho many of you cried loudly that there is no such thing “as a leader of atheists” - - - the media obviously does not listen to any of you.
everyone here has constantly stated - that atheism is just a statement of a non-belief in a god and everyone otherwise has their own views about everything else and there is no organization and we don’t want an organization and we are all sort of kinda against being cubby-holed or preceived to be against or for anything cause we are all our own person, etc., etc.
IMHO, unfortunately, you all miss the point.  - - - i UNDERSTAND the main precepts of atheism - and i again state - 1) atheism MUST accept (or be aware of, not especially condone, but be aware of) ALL faiths/beliefs and respect that position and that 2) atheism DOES need a leader who can stand up and give a thoughtful, meaningful and political-aware presentation of the basic atheistic stance.
Why?
Let’s say there are 120 million atheists (closet or otherwise) - all flapping away how they don’t believe, they don’t have a leader, there is no cause, atheism is just a statement.  yet - religious wars go on.  i guess - you can be an atheist and still be a hawk ; i guess you can still be an atheist and still be a dove.  (boy, does that statement date me).  maybe my confusion is that i would think - or i’m an adherent of - if it’s a religious war (and most wars really are religious-based) - i’m against.  so no one here believes we ought to get together and sort of have a duty to mankind to stop war - even though most wars are religiously based?  don’t even try to tell me that the Iraqi war, the war against Osama, the whatever war we are in right now is not somehow religiously based - of course it is. 
i’m NOT here to cause distress - and for goodness sakes, i’m not a “fanatic” {boy did i love that one, geez}.
in fact - i myself am in distress.  i do feel - yes, feel - that there is NO God.  but what good is that if all a bunch of atheists are is a bunch of sniping little nobodies complaining that america has “In God We Trust” on US currency or if Obama said the “G” word in a comment?  Are we all just snipers? complaining our life away? - - -  where instead we COULD become a VOICE of a NEW UNDERSTANDING - overcoming religious superstitions and assumptions and the 5-6 millenniums of religious persecutions that enveloped the humanity of this planet - and still RULES it?
you cry independence - yet you all cower in individualism.
there is NO WAY to overcome religious oppression if everyone is just so - - - non-comittal.
there is another world out there.  do you all want humanity to fight forever?  we all DO have an obligation.  but ya know, if no one takes me up on it, what’s the point?

Are you really this dense, or just a troll? mad

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

4 of 5