What to do with skeptical publications?
Posted: 22 July 2012 01:17 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  73
Joined  2007-04-17

Hi all.

I’m accruing a stack of magazines (“Skeptical Inquirer,” “Skeptic,” etc.) which, once read, I have no intention of keeping. (My hoard tends more to the skeletal than the skeptical).

Other than goodwill or the liberry, anyone have specific recommendations for where I should donate topical materials? I’m in Detroit, if that matters.

Cheers.
-Dorion

Posted: 22 July 2012 06:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5190
Joined  2010-06-16

I’ve had the same problem for years.  I remove my name and address and leave them in public areas where people read, such as doctors’ and dentists’ offices, the local YMCA where people read magazines while on the treadmills, etc.  I figure some will be destroyed by right wing christians, but I hope a few people will read some of the articles and learn.  You mght try the local high school libraries.

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 22 July 2012 06:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  2891
Joined  2011-08-15

I’ve had the same problem for years.  I remove my name and address and leave them in public areas where people read, such as doctors’ and dentists’ offices, the local YMCA where people read magazines while on the treadmills, etc.  I figure some will be destroyed by right wing christians, but I hope a few people will read some of the articles and learn.  You mght try the local high school libraries.

Occam

That’s an excellent idea Occam; I have even passed them out to students interested in the articles. It just might spark a few imaginations and arouse their curiosity. Who knows Dorian, you could open some minds. I’m certain that community colleges or main campus libraries would also take them.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 22 July 2012 08:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  1283
Joined  2011-03-12

I’m keeping mine. Even if I have cause to disagree with some of the articles, they always give me something to think about.

Seeing as this isn’t always an option for everybody, one might consider donating to the local library if they’ll take them.

Signature 

Question authority and think for yourself. Big Brother does not know best and never has.

Posted: 02 August 2012 09:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  37
Joined  2012-07-13

I’m waiting for my first issue of SI to arrive.  It’s been a few weeks since I filled in the subscription form so it should be here soon.

I plan on keeping them all forever.  Unlike fashion or celebrity magazines, the vast majority of what’s in SI should never be outdated.  And I like having things like that around as decor.  Until a few years ago I had hundreds of old Discover, Omni, Scientific American, and a few other magazines filling up shelves in my ‘office’ space.  I absolutely loved them.  My wife absolutely didn’t.  So in a very lopsided compromise, I got rid of them (recycled) and she took a bunch of old clothes and junk she claimed to cherish, to the local second-hand store.

I still miss the old magazines, but I know no one would have taken 50Kg (over 100lb) or more of ancient and outdated magazines, even if they were all in pristine condition.  And the vacated space looks way better with books on it than magazines.

If you have the room, keep ‘em.  If not, and if they are new enough and in decent condition, try to give them to someone or some place that will appreciate them.  I like the idea of taking them to waiting rooms and other places where people have a free supply of reading material.  Lastly, if you have no room and no one wants them, recycle them, at least they will save a tree.

Signature 

It is morally as bad not to care whether a thing is true or not, so long as it makes you feel good, as it is not to care how you got your money as long as you have got it.  Edmund Way Teale, Circle of the Seasons

Posted: 02 August 2012 10:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Total Posts:  5190
Joined  2010-06-16

That was my reasoning many years ago, 3point14rat, however, at my age and with my few hundred pounds of magazines, it is a real burden.  It’s a hard decision as to whether they go in the recycle bin or I try like the devil to find someone who wants them.

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 02 August 2012 10:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Total Posts:  765
Joined  2009-07-17
Occam. - 02 August 2012 10:08 AM

That was my reasoning many years ago, 3point14rat, however, at my age and with my few hundred pounds of magazines, it is a real burden.  It’s a hard decision as to whether they go in the recycle bin or I try like the devil to find someone who wants them.

Occam

Your local free cycle group might be of help.

Take care,

Derek

Signature 

“It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good—and less trouble.”—Mark Twain

Posted: 03 August 2012 05:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Total Posts:  1741
Joined  2007-10-22
Occam. - 22 July 2012 06:11 PM

Occam

Never thought of that.  I will be leaving Free Inquiry at several Doctors offices.  grin

Signature 

Gary the Human

All the Gods and all religions are created by humans, to meet human needs and accomplish human ends.