2 of 2
Twilight Zone, Outer Limits
Posted: 06 August 2012 12:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2889
Joined  2011-08-15

I like the TZ episode where the old folks at the rest home begin playing and turn into children. They did a modified and expanded version of it in TZ the Movie, with Scatman Crothers. I thought the movie was pretty forgettable but I liked that segment.

I liked that one too. It’s called “kick the can”. Although the remake with Scatman Cruthers was much better IMO than the original. They were both pretty sad though and the older I get the sadder it becomes!

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 06 August 2012 12:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Total Posts:  1191
Joined  2011-08-01
Thevillageatheist - 06 August 2012 12:01 PM

I liked that one too. It’s called “kick the can”. Although the remake with Scatman Cruthers was much better IMO than the original. They were both pretty sad though and the older I get the sadder it becomes!

Yeah, I liked the newer version better too. Although I had to laugh when I watched the movie again a few months ago and I had just seen a Key & Peele sketch where they poked fun at the “Magic Negro” meme that shows up a lot in old movies. Scatman’s character was pretty much a parody of itself.

Signature 

Free in Kentucky
—Humanist
“I am patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it.”—Edith Sitwell

Posted: 06 August 2012 06:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Joined  2011-08-15

Just for kicks I looked up the site. Loved the Obama meets with the republicans sketch! If only!! Hilarious!

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

Thomas Paine

Posted: 07 August 2012 06:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Joined  2011-08-01

Yeah, that was great! Those guys are pretty funny. They are both bi-racial and slip easily between cultures, so they have a unique take on race issues.

Check out this short clip: http://www.comedycentral.com/video-clips/viv6r6/key-and-peele-white-sounding-black-guys

There is something about this kind of humor that appeals to me. I guess because it highlights just how artificial our ideas of race really are.

Signature 

Free in Kentucky
—Humanist
“I am patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it.”—Edith Sitwell

Posted: 07 August 2012 07:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Total Posts:  4142
Joined  2008-08-14
FreeInKy - 06 August 2012 12:20 PM

Yeah, I liked the newer version better too. Although I had to laugh when I watched the movie again a few months ago and I had just seen a Key & Peele sketch where they poked fun at the “Magic Negro” meme that shows up a lot in old movies. Scatman’s character was pretty much a parody of itself.

I believe that one man was in both the new and the original episode of “Kick the Can”.
I vote for the original episode here.  The TZ movie one was good too though.

Signature 

Row row row your boat gently down the stream.  Merrily Merrily merrily merrily life is but a dream!

Posted: 07 August 2012 09:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Joined  2011-08-01
VYAZMA - 07 August 2012 07:00 AM

I believe that one man was in both the new and the original episode of “Kick the Can”.

Nope. In the original, the man who encouraged them to play was white.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0734583/

Signature 

Free in Kentucky
—Humanist

Posted: 07 August 2012 12:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Joined  2011-08-15

OMG Romney in a snow storm! They do have a point though. Although it seems to me that Af-Ams can mimmick white speech but white people can’t create black street speech very well. It just sounds like a white guy desperately trying to sound black. And BTW, Ladysmith is one of my favorite groups! We saw them live once. Man what a show!

Cap’t Jack

Wow! Just playing with the color here

Signature 

Thomas Paine

Posted: 07 August 2012 12:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Joined  2011-08-15

OMG Romney in a snow storm! They do have a point though. Although it seems to me that Af-Ams can mimmick white speech but white people can’t create black street speech very well. It just sounds like a white guy desperately trying to sound black. And BTW, Ladysmith is one of my favorite groups! We saw them live once. Man what a show!

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

Thomas Paine

Posted: 07 August 2012 04:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Joined  2011-08-15

How the hell did that happen? It’s like it looped around and posted in black again. I must have hit something, again.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

Thomas Paine

Posted: 07 August 2012 04:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Joined  2011-08-01
Thevillageatheist - 07 August 2012 04:10 PM

How the hell did that happen? It’s like it looped around and posted in black again. I must have hit something, again.

What the hell?

LOL

Signature 

Free in Kentucky
—Humanist

Posted: 07 August 2012 06:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Joined  2011-08-15

Reminds me of an old brother Dave Gardner sketch, ” L. C., get away from them colors, ya know ya don’t know nothin bout muchneery! LOL

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

Thomas Paine

Posted: 08 August 2012 10:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Total Posts:  4142
Joined  2008-08-14
FreeInKy - 07 August 2012 09:06 AM
VYAZMA - 07 August 2012 07:00 AM

Nope. In the original, the man who encouraged them to play was white.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0734583/

I didn’t mean the main protagonist. I meant a side actor. But I was wrong anyways.

Signature 

Row row row your boat gently down the stream.  Merrily Merrily merrily merrily life is but a dream!

2 of 2