OH GOD!  FRACKING!!!  It Kills Us With [insert] And Poisons Our [insert], Etc.  Umm, Yeah, About That…
Posted: 23 July 2012 09:16 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3063
Joined  2010-04-26

Link

Are they really just emotionally fueled fearmongering loonies?  Or was this written by a bunch of shills for the frackers?

I can’t wait to see everyone’s totally even, well thought out, and completely neutral responses.

Noww…....GO!

Signature 

“In the end nature is horrific and teaches us nothing.” -Mutual of Omicron

Posted: 23 July 2012 10:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  3256
Joined  2011-08-15

Neutral? hardly. Ever felt a man made earthquake? I have. Even our neo-con gov. Is concerned and that’s sayin a lot. Don’t know about the cancer problem but I do know about the earthquakes in Northeastern Ohio. Also fire spewing from water taps and faucets Near the well areas. Those reports are genuine. Cracking mother earth ain’t a good idea. Especially since we live on it.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/03/09/us-energy-fracking-ohio-idUSBRE8281DX20120309

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 24 July 2012 04:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  6166
Joined  2009-02-26
Thevillageatheist - 23 July 2012 10:16 AM

Neutral? hardly. Ever felt a man made earthquake? I have. Even our neo-con gov. Is concerned and that’s sayin a lot. Don’t know about the cancer problem but I do know about the earthquakes in Northeastern Ohio. Also fire spewing from water taps and faucets Near the well areas. Those reports are genuine. Cracking mother earth ain’t a good idea. Especially since we live on it.
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/03/09/us-energy-fracking-ohio-idUSBRE8281DX20120309
Cap’t Jack

What I understand from the article is that we extract oil FROM the ground, use it, and when it is good and dirty we reinject it back INTO earth (along with a bunch of other deadly stuff), at enormous pressures for purposes of creating fractures, giving access to oil and gas at depths down to 10,000’, which we then use until it is good and dirty?

Add: What if a spark found a crack which led to a very large cache of natural gas? Talking about pressure, that would surely create a productive crack!

[ Edited: 24 July 2012 04:31 AM by Write4U ]
 Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 24 July 2012 04:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  3256
Joined  2011-08-15

What I understand from the article is that we extract oil FROM the ground, use it, and when it is good and dirty we reinject it back INTO earth (along with a bunch of other deadly stuff), at enormous pressures for purposes of creating fractures, giving access to oil and gas at depths down to 10,000’?

It’s mostly gas pockets here from southern Ohio to the noreastern area. This is the Appalachian coalfield. The problem is caused by the out-of-state dumping of noxious chemicals and waste water into the wells. Anyway you look at it it’s essentially a destructive practice. The counter is that it will generate jobs. So we’ll all be living on polluted soil soon. That’s why Senator Brown, who opposes this idea is under attack from the right. Millions are being spent to defeat him in the next election.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine