8 of 13
In search of WILLPOWER—I am here to inquire: Is it a real power?
Posted: 08 August 2012 03:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 106 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6162
Joined  2009-02-26

Thanks Rev.  I think I mixed the words symantec and semantic. ... red face

But now that this has been clarified, what is your response to my statement. When we speak of spirit or spiritual, does anyone actually know what Einstein meant when he used the word spirit?

[ Edited: 08 August 2012 03:58 PM by Write4U ]
 Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 08 August 2012 05:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 107 ]
Total Posts:  4860
Joined  2007-10-05
RevLGKing - 08 August 2012 03:24 PM

Symantics? I assume you mean ‘semantics’? as defined at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semantics  ...

Semantics (from Greek: sēmantiká, neuter plural of sēmantikós)[1][2] is the study of meaning. It focuses on the relation between signifiers, such as words, phrases, signs, and symbols, and what they stand for, their denotata.
Linguistic semantics is the study of meaning that is used to understand human expression through language. Other forms of semantics include the semantics of programming languages, formal logics, and semiotics.

Sending agape always—good WILLpower—to all   grin

I’m not sure if you are being a jerk or if you’re just arrogant enough to believe GdB needs a grammar lesson. How well could you write in his native language? Anyway, since you’ve outdone even me in pedantic grammar policing I made an award for you. Enjoy.

Image Attachments
RevGLK.jpg
 Signature 

You cannot have a rational conversation with someone who holds irrational beliefs.

Posted: 08 August 2012 09:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 108 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  193
Joined  2011-12-30
Write4U - 08 August 2012 03:55 PM

Thanks Rev.  I think I mixed the words symantec and semantic. ... red face

But now that this has been clarified, what is your response to my statement. When we speak of spirit or spiritual, does anyone actually know what Einstein meant when he used the word spirit?

W4U, you are most welcome. As I said, I assumed you knew the word, just wanted to bring the idea to our attention—which I appreciate—but that you just made a typo.

Einstein and spirituality? I have always been under the impression that, as he thought about space-time and the nature of things, “awe” was his prevailing attitude.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philosophy_of_space_and_time#Einstein

IMO, the ability to feel awe is what makes us truly human and spiritual beings. Are human beings the only animals capable of the feeling of awe?

When did we first coin expressions like “awful mess”, “awful weather” and the like? O how we kill good words.
I read somewhere that when King James I told the architect, Christopher Wren, that he found his newly-completed St. Paul’s Cathedral artificial, amusing and awful, he was very pleased.

Posted: 08 August 2012 10:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 109 ]
Joined  2009-02-26

I want to get deeper than than (if possible).  When we say ‘their spirit was high” or “in the spirit of cooperation”, what does that mean? 

Wiki, Spirit,

An incorporeal but ubiquitous, non-quantifiable substance or energy present individually in all living things. Unlike the concept of souls (often regarded as eternal and sometimes believed to pre-exist the body) a spirit develops and grows as an integral aspect of a living being.[3] This concept of the individual spirit occurs commonly in animism. Note the distinction between this concept of spirit and that of the pre-existing or eternal soul: belief in souls occurs specifically and far less commonly, particularly in traditional societies. One might more properly term this type/aspect of spirit “life” (bios in Greek) or “aether” rather than “spirit” (pneuma in Greek).

As a physicist, what did Einstein see when he uttered the word “spirit” (in context)?

[ Edited: 08 August 2012 10:46 PM by Write4U ]
 Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 08 August 2012 11:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 110 ]
Total Posts:  4574
Joined  2007-08-31
DarronS - 08 August 2012 05:43 PM

I’m not sure if you are being a jerk or if you’re just arrogant enough to believe GdB needs a grammar lesson. How well could you write in his native language? Anyway, since you’ve outdone even me in pedantic grammar policing I made an award for you. Enjoy.

It was Write4U, not me… But he has Dutch roots too. And as a Linux-affacinado I never felt the need for Semantic‘s software.  tongue rolleye

I think the pattern for our Rev is clear. If somebody gives too many arguments against his position he does not react anymore. And then his jumps on his next victim, which is Write4U, who is no the newest star in this thread.

Now Rev? Are you interested in a rational discussion, that might help you to increase your understanding? Or will you just sermonise on your next victim? I am waiting on a reaction on my posting.

Signature 

GdB

“The light is on, but there is nobody at home”

Posted: 08 August 2012 11:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 111 ]
Joined  2007-08-31
Write4U - 08 August 2012 10:36 PM

As a physicist, what did Einstein see when he uttered the word “spirit” (in context)?

He did not say that as a physicist, he said that as a normal human. In the context:

I do not share the crusading spirit of the professional atheist whose fervor is mostly due to a painful act of liberation from the fetters of religious indoctrination received in youth.

I would say it means something like ‘mood’,‘disposition’ or ‘temper’. I wonder why you think this is important? Do you ask such questions too when somebody says their project was successful because of the good team spirit? Do you start then wondering if the team leader is a dualist?

Signature 

GdB

Posted: 09 August 2012 12:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 112 ]
Joined  2009-02-26
GdB - 08 August 2012 11:27 PM
Write4U - 08 August 2012 10:36 PM

He did not say that as a physicist, he said that as a normal human. In the context:

I do not share the crusading spirit of the professional atheist whose fervor is mostly due to a painful act of liberation from the fetters of religious indoctrination received in youth.

I would say it means something like ‘mood’,‘disposition’ or ‘temper’. I wonder why you think this is important? Do you ask such questions too when somebody says their project was successful because of the good team spirit? Do you start then wondering if the team leader is a dualist?

cheese
IMO, there is a difference in a “concerted effort” under leadership, and a “generally shared emotion”, a common state of mind.
What enables us to recognize certain situations and have a similar emotional response? Is this physical ability hardwired, or an ability to experience a metaphysical condition?  What caused millions of Brits to pay homage to Diana? Apparently they were of the same spirit.

[ Edited: 09 August 2012 12:10 AM by Write4U ]
 Signature 

W4U

Posted: 09 August 2012 12:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 113 ]
Joined  2007-08-31
Write4U - 09 August 2012 12:06 AM

What enables us to recognize certain situations and have a similar emotional response? Is this physical ability hardwired, or an ability to experience a metaphysical condition?  What caused millions of Brits to pay homage to Diana? Apparently they were of the same spirit.

Firstly there is the meaning of the dying of a beloved person. If millions feel this way, a ‘qualitative jump’ may occur:

Development is a process whereby insignificant and imperceptible quantitative changes lead to fundamental, qualitative changes. Qualitative changes occur not gradually, but rapidly and abruptly, as leaps from one state to another. A simple example from the physical world is the heating of water: a one degree increase in temperature is a quantitative change, but between water of 100 degrees and steam of 100 degrees (the effect latent heat) there is a qualitative change.

In my opinion just a phenomenon of mass psychology.

Signature 

GdB

Posted: 09 August 2012 02:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 114 ]
Joined  2007-10-05
GdB - 08 August 2012 11:20 PM

It was Write4U, not me… But he has Dutch roots too. And as a Linux-affacinado I never felt the need for Semantic‘s software.  tongue rolleye

Thanks for the correction. Must have been the spirits in me that caused the mistake.  wink

Signature 

You cannot have a rational conversation with someone who holds irrational beliefs.

Posted: 09 August 2012 07:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 115 ]
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29
DarronS - 09 August 2012 02:48 AM

Must have been the spirits in me that caused the mistake.

Yes, it’s called a “pneumatological imbalance.”

Posted: 09 August 2012 07:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 116 ]
Joined  2007-10-05

I have to admit I was a bit unbalanced.

Signature 

Posted: 09 August 2012 07:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 117 ]
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29
DarronS - 09 August 2012 07:22 AM

LOL

Okay, let’s not go hijacking the thread from the serious conversation here… zipper

Posted: 09 August 2012 07:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 118 ]
Joined  2007-10-05
George - 09 August 2012 07:25 AM
DarronS - 09 August 2012 07:22 AM

LOL

Okay, let’s not go hijacking the thread from the serious conversation here… zipper

You’re right. Time to get back to Rev GLK denying saying what he said, avoiding answering questions, and condescendingly explaining things we already know.

Signature 

Posted: 09 August 2012 03:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 119 ]
Joined  2011-12-30
DarronS - 08 August 2012 05:43 PM
RevLGKing - 08 August 2012 03:24 PM

Symantics? I assume you mean ‘semantics’? as defined at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semantics  ...

Semantics (from Greek: sēmantiká, neuter plural of sēmantikós)[1][2] is the study of meaning. It focuses on the relation between signifiers, such as words, phrases, signs, and symbols, and what they stand for, their denotata.
Linguistic semantics is the study of meaning that is used to understand human expression through language. Other forms of semantics include the semantics of programming languages, formal logics, and semiotics.

Sending agape always—good WILLpower—to all   grin

DarronS, thanks! You inquire if I am “being a jerk”? Let me assure you that I am not pretending to be other than I am.

Meanwhile, you say:“Anyway, since you’ve outdone even me in pedantic grammar policing I made an award for you. Enjoy.” If you mean that it is your “WILL” to be a “good-spirited” person and that you expect me to enjoy your award, I WILL. This inspires me to ask about the front end ... Well, I will save that question for later, okay?

[ Edited: 09 August 2012 08:11 PM by RevLGKing ]

Posted: 10 August 2012 08:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 120 ]
Joined  2011-12-30

GdB, when I said “If I understand what Einstein wrote about the theistic hypotheses, I find myself in complete concurrence with him, including what he said about atheism.” You, GdB - 07 August 2012 11:16 PM said

Well, that’s fine for you. But two things: in the first place have a good look at what kind of atheism Einstein meant (from your citation):

... Einstein explicitly calls his god the god of Spinoza: i.e. it is a pantheistic view of the world. In my opinion the danger of the word ‘God’ is that it triggers associations with it that just do not belong to the pantheistic view. My description would rather be: a monist view of the universe, that inspires to awe and wonder. Get rid of the word ‘God’ because it suggests it has attributes that traditionally are linked to God, like ‘creator of the universe’, base of morality, and wide spread fairy tails, bundled together in a book called ‘Bible’.

Monism? The doctrine that the universe is one substance or principle? Sounds okay, to me—as it does to Richard Dawkins. See page 180 of his book, The GOD Delusion.

Better take Dawkins’ stance: pantheism is “sexed-up atheism.”

you say. “sexed-up atheism”? I have no idea what this means.

Obviously, RD, either never heard of Alfred North Whitehead and his interpreter, the Rev. Charles Hartshorne, or perhaps he chooses to ignore what both wrote about panENtheism (all is within what I call G~O~D, not to be confused with a supernatural ‘God’). similarly, panENtheism is NOT to be confused with pantheism (matter is God).—including process philosophy and theology. As part of the dialogue, I asked, “And will kill us too eventually…”?
And where do I look to find the science-based evidence for this doctrine you preach and BAD news you give us? IMO, your response is not a reasoned one; you simply stated what-you-for-sure believe. You said

Of course I am sure. I will die, you will, we all will. What is the bad news about having got a movie ticket? That the movie will end?

If life is simply a movie—a good or bad creation of the “gods” of art made of fictitious illusions trapped on film—then none of us will ever know or see another movie. You will never be able to tell me, I was wrong. But what if life is an ongoing drama? Think of the fun I will have reminding you that life is what you make it.

IMO, life for me is more like an ongoing and dramatic work of art in the process—like process philosophy says—of being like all great works of art, “a thing of beauty and a joy forever” (John Keats).

As Shakespeare puts it in his play, As You Like It—a play in which, interestingly, I once had the opportunity to play the role of Olando—

ALL THE WORLD’S A STAGE—and all the men and women merely players. They have their entrances and their exits;  and one man in his time plays many parts.

About your request:

PS I would be glad if you get rid of your, in my opinion, ridiculous signature. It is Garbage Or Delusional.

If you WILL and choose to have a life filled with garbage—one which is Gruesome, Odious & Diabolic—it is your choice. But as for me and my house, we WILL and choose to build an Eden (Hebrew for pleasant place)-like garden of life—one filled with all that which is Good, Opportune and Delightful.

[ Edited: 10 August 2012 08:56 PM by RevLGKing ]

8 of 13