9 of 13
In search of WILLPOWER—I am here to inquire: Is it a real power?
Posted: 11 August 2012 06:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 121 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4836
Joined  2007-10-05

So, Rev, interpreting your meandering prose it seems you are saying we will not die. Do you have any scientific evidence for that belief? You dismiss observations as “not a reasoned” belief,but you will not come out and plainly state what you believe. Tell us: do you believe we can outlive our bodies?

Signature 

“In the beginning, God created the universe. This has made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.”
Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Posted: 12 August 2012 04:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 122 ]
Total Posts:  4538
Joined  2007-08-31
RevLGKing - 10 August 2012 08:32 PM

Better take Dawkins’ stance: pantheism is “sexed-up atheism.”

you say. “sexed-up atheism”? I have no idea what this means.

It means that the world is just as we observe it: It only feels a bit better.

And where do I look to find the science-based evidence for this doctrine you preach and BAD news you give us? IMO, your response is not a reasoned one; you simply stated what-you-for-sure believe. You said

Of course I am sure. I will die, you will, we all will. What is the bad news about having got a movie ticket? That the movie will end?

You asked if I was sure, and I answered that question. And I do not need scientific evidence. I do not need scientific evidence for invisible and imponderable dwarfs behind the door. And why would it be bad news? You let look into your cards: if something sounds like bad news, then it is not true. That, my dear Rev, is not a very spiritual way of standing in the world.

If you WILL and choose to have a life filled with garbage—one which is Gruesome, Odious & Diabolic—it is your choice. But as for me and my house, we WILL and choose to build an Eden (Hebrew for pleasant place)-like garden of life—one filled with all that which is Good, Opportune and Delightful.

I do not want a life filled with garbage. I just played around with the letters D,G and O, making some negative of it. It seems you suggest you are at something that might stimulate others by making G.O.D. an abbreviation. It is just as empty as my interpretation of the abbreviation.

Signature 

GdB

“The light is on, but there is nobody at home”

Posted: 12 August 2012 02:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 123 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

We’ve taken nine pages on this thread so I think I’ll answer the initial, title, question.    NO.

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 13 August 2012 07:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 124 ]
Joined  2007-10-05

I see the Rev has been lurking hereabouts but has not responded to my question above. Rev, do we outlive our bodies?

Signature 

“In the beginning, God created the universe. This has made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.”

Posted: 13 August 2012 09:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 125 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  193
Joined  2011-12-30

[quoting author=“DarronS”]

DarronS - 11 August 2012 06:55 AM you ask me: So, Rev, interpreting your meandering prose it seems you are saying we will not die ... 

DS, thanks for reminding me of your interpretation of my beliefs about life beyond death of the body. Based on personal experience, I know that the death of the body, sooner or later, is a fact of life. Even by the time I was in my middle teens, because of the deaths of my older and much-loved siblings, their children and our parents—all died, and prematurely—I entered adult life with no illusions about the hard realities of life.

Assuming that I believe—I do not—that our body survives its death, you ask me

Do you have any scientific evidence for that belief?

The short answer is: I have never assumed that there is such evidence. Similarly, I assume that the physical body that my mind/spirit (psyche/pneuma) lives in is not the same physical body I had when I was born. In a physics forum I found the following info, which seems interesting:
http://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=443734
You comment

You dismiss observations as “not a reasoned” belief, but you will not come out and plainly state what you believe.

then you ask

Tell us: do you believe we can outlive our bodies?

In stead of saying “I believe” ... May I put it this way: I would like for us to explore the idea. If I were wealthy I would donate a lot to do research on exploring the claims of those who believe in reincarnation and if this has a practical value. Jokingly I will add: Then I could will my wealth to the one I will become next.  LOL

BTW, over the years, I have used hypnosis to help quite a few people, often referred to me by doctors, who came for help—no fees charged. Most had serious spiritual/mental traumas which made their lives miserable and painful ones. One had intractable phantom limb pain. Using hypnosis, I helped them to recall “past-life memories”. Very interesting memories came to the light of day and were dealt with in such a way that, in numerous cases, it resulted in practical and helpful results.

[ Edited: 14 August 2012 10:06 AM by RevLGKing ]

Posted: 14 August 2012 04:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 126 ]
Joined  2007-10-05
RevLGKing - 13 August 2012 09:21 PM

BTW, over the years, I have used hypnosis to help quite a few people, often referred to me by doctors, who came for help—no fees charged. Most had serious spiritual/mental traumas which made their lives miserable and painful ones. One had intractable fathom-limb pain.

Fathom-limb pain? I think you meant phantom limb pain. From the Dictionary app on my computer:

phantom |ˈfantəm|
noun
a ghost: a phantom who haunts lonely roads | figurative : the centrist and conservative parties were mere phantoms in 1943 | [ as modifier ] : a phantom ship.
• a figment of the imagination: he tried to clear the phantoms from his head and grasp reality | [ as modifier ] : the women suffered from phantom pain that no physician could ever find.
• [ as modifier ] denoting a financial arrangement or transaction that has been invented for fraudulent purposes but that does not really exist: he diverted an estimated $1,500,000 into “phantom” bank accounts.
ORIGIN Middle English (also in the sense ‘illusion, delusion’): from Old French fantosme, based on Greek phantasma (see phantasm).

Taking the second definition it would seem the pain may or may not have been real, but in any case no doctor could find a cause for the pain so one referred the patient to you, and through hypnosis you helped cure this person’s pain. Did I get that right or shall I tell a story about how a bull chased me up a tree when I was five years old?

Using hypnosis, I helped them to recall past-life memories. Very interesting memories came to the light of day and were dealt with in such a way that, in numerous cases, it resulted in practical and helpful results.

The moderators were right keeping this thread in the Pseudoscience forum. You have spouted a lot of nonsense here, but the past-life memory stuff beats it all. Did you ever read William Clifford’s The Ethics of Belief? You should, and you should think very hard about what he said. Believing things without evidence is unethical and harms society, and you spent your life studying things you believe without evidence.

You asked earlier if you are the only person on these forums writing from a Christian perspective, and we answered yes. Your latest post is an excellent example of why Christians tend to not last long here: they ultimately reveal themselves as magical thinkers who prefer fantasy over reality. Goodbye Rev, I’m done with you.

Signature 

Posted: 14 August 2012 08:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 127 ]
Joined  2011-12-30
DarronS - 14 August 2012 04:43 AM

The moderators were right keeping this thread in the Pseudoscience forum. You have spouted a lot of nonsense here, but the past-life memory stuff beats it all. Did you ever read William Clifford’s The Ethics of Belief? You should, and you should think very hard about what he said. Believing things without evidence is unethical and harms society, and you spent your life studying things you believe without evidence.

You asked earlier if you are the only person on these forums writing from a Christian perspective, and we answered yes. Your latest post is an excellent example of why Christians tend to not last long here: they ultimately reveal themselves as magical thinkers who prefer fantasy over reality. Goodbye Rev, I’m done with you.

============================================
DS, I am surprised you wished me a theistic “Goodbye Rev”.

Word Origin & History

good-bye
1591, from godbwye (1573), itself a contraction of God be with ye, infl. by good day, good evening, etc.
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
Cite This Source

I also appreciate your, “I’m done with you.” Because it has not been a pleasant experience—trying to have a dialogue with most atheists—I hope you, and others with your attitude, follow through. And, it is about time! Yes, DS! I am out of cheeks (all four) to slap.

BTW, as a unitheist (panentheist) I never use ‘goodbye’, myself. Among a variety of ways of saluting, or saying farewell to others, I like what Jews and Arabs, coming or going, do when—assuming they are sincere—they wish each other “Peace” (Shalom/Salaam). Also, I accept the basic ideas of William Clifford—about which I will say more, to all who are not spiritually blind and deaf, in Philosophy.

[ Edited: 14 August 2012 09:09 AM by RevLGKing ]

Posted: 14 August 2012 09:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 128 ]
Total Posts:  2696
Joined  2011-04-24
RevLGKing - 14 August 2012 08:47 AM

Also, I accept the basic ideas of William Clifford—about which I will say more, to all who are not spiritually blind and deaf, in Philosophy.

Most here are spiritually blind and deaf - and happy about it.

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 14 August 2012 09:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 129 ]
Joined  2011-12-30
mid atlantic - 14 August 2012 09:08 AM
RevLGKing - 14 August 2012 08:47 AM

Also, I accept the basic ideas of William Clifford—about which I will say more, to all who are not spiritually blind and deaf, in Philosophy and at http://www.scienceagogo.com .

Most here are spiritually blind and deaf - and happy about it.

But you still keep reading, eh? If you enjoy reading philosophy, feel free to join those at http://www.scienceagogo.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=1617&Number=44571#Post44571 who have contributed over 4, 700, 000 hits, so far.
Off-topic flaming, dissing, slapping, ad hominens and the like are not tolerated at Scienceagogo. Diligent and much-appreciated moderators send such posts to a planet far, far away.

[ Edited: 14 August 2012 10:14 AM by RevLGKing ]

Posted: 14 August 2012 10:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 130 ]
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29

I don’t know about the rest here, but I already told you why I keep reading your posts: you are just like the guy on a subway who is dressed as Napoleon. Kind of hard to look away. Or maybe it’s like slowing down to look at a car accident and thinking “better him than me.” Reading your posts makes me feel lucky that it’s not me who was given the gift of “art to speak.”

The longer you’ll stay, the more of a chance you are running that at some point you will realize that nobody here takes your nonsense seriously anymore. Do it for your own good, reverend: leave.

Posted: 14 August 2012 10:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 131 ]
Joined  2007-10-05
George - 14 August 2012 10:11 AM

The longer you’ll stay, the more of a chance you are running that at some point you will realize that nobody here takes your nonsense seriously anymore. Do it for your own good, reverend: leave.

We especially don’t fall for the nonsense of past life memories. That’s crazy talk.

Signature 

Posted: 14 August 2012 11:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 132 ]
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29
DarronS - 14 August 2012 10:46 AM
George - 14 August 2012 10:11 AM

We especially don’t fall for the nonsense of past life memories. That’s crazy talk.

Has that been your favourite, Darron? I think I preferred all that pneumatology nonsense.  grin

Posted: 14 August 2012 12:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 133 ]
Joined  2007-10-05

The pneumatology nonsense is just a semantic game on souls. Most people in our culture believe we have souls that survive our bodily death. I give the Rev LGK points for taking that concept to an even more silly level than I have heard from other preachers, so it rates pretty high on my amusement scale; but his talk of past-life memories is way outside mainstream Western culture and proves the man spent his life deluding himself that he was doing something worthwhile. Now he is wasting his time and ours posting on various science and secular forums trying to spread his fallacious nonsense. He’ll get no takers here.

[ Edited: 14 August 2012 12:05 PM by DarronS ]
 Signature 

Posted: 14 August 2012 12:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 134 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

Well, I feel, that as a

Diligent and much-appreciated moderator

I should

send such posts

as Rev’s

to a planet far, far away.

But Doug, as the Administrator, is far more mature and forgiving than I am.  LOL

Occam

[ Edited: 14 August 2012 12:08 PM by Occam. ]
 Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 14 August 2012 12:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 135 ]
Joined  2011-12-30
Occam. - 14 August 2012 12:03 PM

Well, I feel, that as a

Diligent and much-appreciated moderator

I should

send such posts

as Rev’s

to a planet far, far away.

But Doug, as the Administrator, is far more mature and forgiving than I am.  LOL Occam

Occam, before this move is taken, check out DarronS’ post: DarronS - 04 August 2012 11:45 AM

DarronS - 04 August 2012 11:45 AM
RevLGKing - 04 August 2012 10:31 AM

And, BTW, has anyone offered any answers to the question posed in the title of this thread?

In answer to my question in title, DS wrote: “...You (LGK) have finally asked a question we can discuss.” Then he added:

I checked into Baumeister’s research, and this is not pseudoscience. He and his team developed a hypothesis, designed experiments to test the hypothesis, conducted the experiments, reached a conclusion based on empirical evidence, then published their results for other researchers to read and test. This is how scientists work.

9 of 13