10 of 13
In search of WILLPOWER—I am here to inquire: Is it a real power?
Posted: 14 August 2012 01:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 136 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

Rev, you have a real problem either with not reading the posts of others carefully, or inserting your own biases into them. 

I IMPLIED quite clearly that I would not be moving posts since Doug is the Administrator (the boss) and he would not allow that (yet) in this case.

I went back to Darron’s post you referred to and read it carefully.  I suggest you do the same.  While he expressed his annoyance with your method of posting, he was certainly well within the guidelines of this forum.

I’m not sure if you were trying to copy what you found distressing about Darron’s post, but you seemed to have missed your own point.  I think what you wanted was:

I reread your original post, and this question is nowhere in that post. If you had posted this instead of all the extraneous garbage we would not have gone around for six pages berating you for excessive and obfuscatory verbiage. You have finally asked a question we can discuss

To repeat myself, while he expressed his annoyance with your method of posting, he was certainly well within the guidelines of this forum.

Occam

[ Edited: 14 August 2012 01:12 PM by Occam. ]
 Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 14 August 2012 01:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 137 ]
Total Posts:  6120
Joined  2009-02-26

Why did the movie Dune come to mind?

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains. The stains become a warning. It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
The Mentat Mantra,
recited by Piter De Vries
I must not let my passion interfere with my reason. That is not good. That is bad.
Piter De Vries

Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 14 August 2012 04:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 138 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  193
Joined  2011-12-30
Occam. - 14 August 2012 01:02 PM

Rev, you have a real problem either with not reading the posts of others carefully…

“I” have a real problem? I found nothing distressing about the post of Darron, which I quoted. It was actually his post that confirmed what the title of this post says the topic ought to be about.

When DarronS said: “Baumeister’s research is not pseudoscience”. This was exactly the point I sought to make.

Here again is what Darron wrote. He said:

I checked into Baumeister’s research, and this is not pseudoscience. He and his team developed a hypothesis, designed experiments to test the hypothesis, conducted the experiments, reached a conclusion based on empirical evidence, then published their results for other researchers to read and test. This is how scientists work.

NOTE: I rejoiced when Darron, not me, said THIS IS NOT PSEUDOSCIENCE.
RevLGKing - 04 August 2012 10:31 AM.  I repeat, “In answer to my question in the title of the thread, it was DS who wrote: “...You (LGK) have finally asked a question we can discuss.”

[ Edited: 14 August 2012 04:07 PM by RevLGKing ]

Posted: 14 August 2012 05:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 139 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15400
Joined  2006-02-14

Nobody needs to leave the Forum, folks. If some of you aren’t interested in what others write, it’s very simple not to respond.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 14 August 2012 06:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 140 ]
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29

I guess I don’t have the WILLPOWER not to respond. But I’ll try…

Posted: 14 August 2012 06:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 141 ]
Total Posts:  4849
Joined  2007-10-05
dougsmith - 14 August 2012 05:16 PM

Nobody needs to leave the Forum, folks. If some of you aren’t interested in what others write, it’s very simple not to respond.

Excellent advice, Doug.

Signature 

You cannot have a rational conversation with someone who holds irrational beliefs.

Posted: 14 August 2012 10:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 142 ]
Joined  2011-12-30

I agree. Now may I ask: Is it wise for members of such an important forum as CFI to simply ignore what is now being recognised, world-wide, as the exciting new science of self-control?

In the book, WILLPOWER—Rediscovering the Greatest Human Strength—the story of this new science is told by the scientist, researcher, professor of social psychology and author of more than 450 scientific papers, Roy M. Baumeister, of Florida State University who made it happen. He was helped to write the book by the award winning science writer of the New York Times, John Tierney.

Baumeister’s research clearly shows that this new science, is about things which lie at the curious intersection of science and behaviour. These things are affecting almost every aspect of our lives—why we do, or do not, procrastinate; yield to dangerous temptations; exercise regularly; save for retirement; deal with addictions more efficiently and more intelligently and other elusive areas of human psychology—why we go on thwarting ourselves when we really know better. Interestingly, research discovered the fact that willpower operates physically, like a muscle. It depends on how well we rest, and is fuelled by glucose.

Now, great thinkers and scientists at great centers of learning all over, including Europe and Canada, are doing the same kind of research with similar results. Just to mention a few, the book quotes what is happening at Duke University, Harvard, the University of Pennsylvania—the first university in North American to open a laboratory for the study of psychology. laboratory—and Yale.

The bottom line is? This book, as a google search will quickly show, is not filled with pseudo science. It contains essential evidence-based science information, which we ignore at our peril.

Posted: 15 August 2012 05:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 143 ]
Total Posts:  2699
Joined  2011-04-24
RevLGKing - 14 August 2012 10:06 PM

I agree. Now may I ask: Is it wise for members of such an important forum as CFI to simply ignore what is now being recognised, world-wide, as the exciting new science of self-control?

In the book, WILLPOWER—Rediscovering the Greatest Human Strength—the story of this new science is told by the scientist, researcher, professor of social psychology and author of more than 450 scientific papers, Roy M. Baumeister, of Florida State University who made it happen. He was helped to write the book by the award winning science writer of the New York Times, John Tierney.

Baumeister’s research clearly shows that this new science, is about things which lie at the curious intersection of science and behaviour. These things are affecting almost every aspect of our lives—why we do, or do not, procrastinate; yield to dangerous temptations; exercise regularly; save for retirement; deal with addictions more efficiently and more intelligently and other elusive areas of human psychology—why we go on thwarting ourselves when we really know better. Interestingly, research discovered the fact that willpower operates physically, like a muscle. It depends on how well we rest, and is fuelled by glucose.

Now, great thinkers and scientists at great centers of learning all over, including Europe and Canada, are doing the same kind of research with similar results. Just to mention a few, the book quotes what is happening at Duke University, Harvard, the University of Pennsylvania—the first university in North American to open a laboratory for the study of psychology. laboratory—and Yale.

The bottom line is? This book, as a google search will quickly show, is not filled with pseudo science. It contains essential evidence-based science information, which we ignore at our peril.

Yeah, this isn’t new, and it’s not being ignored.

So tell us how it reveals G~O~D! blank stare

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 15 August 2012 06:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 144 ]
Joined  2007-10-05
mid atlantic - 15 August 2012 05:34 AM

I find it quite ironic Rev LGK tells us we need to pay attention to evidence-based research.  LOL

Signature 

You cannot have a rational conversation with someone who holds irrational beliefs.

Posted: 15 August 2012 12:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 145 ]
Joined  2011-12-30
mid atlantic - 15 August 2012 05:34 AM
RevLGKing - 14 August 2012 10:06 PM

... Now, great thinkers and scientists at great centers of learning all over, including Europe and Canada, are doing the same kind of research with similar results. Just to mention a few, the book quotes what is happening at Duke University, Harvard, the University of Pennsylvania—the first university in North American to open a laboratory for the study of psychology—and Yale.

You make two comments. First one:

“Not being ignored, you say?” Then—if what we have here is a new and real science, the science of Will+Power—does it makes sense to you that this thread about WILLPOWER is dumped in the pseudo-science section? Also, I prefer having the kind of dialogue that is on topic—one minus the ad hominems and dissing. However, mindful that there ARE posters who feel the need to blow off steam, and who get some relief from stress when they slap a cheek or two, I agree to post the following thread: State Your Beefs, Ad hominems, Whatever, Here.

Then you are free to begin by writing ...................... (name), here is how I feel about you and what you said: .......................!

Then you comment:

What do you mean by “it”? Are you aware that ‘G~O~D’ is a special acronym I use? It is not a noun designating a thing with dimensions.

Posted: 15 August 2012 01:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 146 ]
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29
RevLGKing - 15 August 2012 12:34 PM

Are you aware that ‘G~O~D’ is a special acronym I use? It is not a noun designating a thing with dimensions.

‘G~O~D’ is a noun. The fact that you say it doesn’t have dimensions, changes nothing. A “fart” doesn’t have dimensions either and it’s a noun.

(I knew the WILLPOWER thing not to post here wouldn’t work. That proves it’s pseudoscience.)

Posted: 15 August 2012 01:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 147 ]
Total Posts:  3210
Joined  2011-08-15

G~O~D’ is a noun. The fact that you say it doesn’t have dimensions, changes nothing. A “fart” doesn’t have dimensions either and it’s a noun.

Well “poot”, George! LOL

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 15 August 2012 08:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 148 ]
Total Posts:  2699
Joined  2011-04-24

“Not being ignored, you say?” Then—if what we have here is a new and real science, the science of Will+Power—does it makes sense to you that this thread about WILLPOWER is dumped in the pseudo-science section?

RLK, the only non pseudo - scientific item that you’ve produced in this thread is the link to Baumeister’s research; which does not fit into your concept of “pneumatology”.  From that, it makes sense (to most of the members here) that this thread belongs in the Pseudoscience sub - forum.

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 15 August 2012 08:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 149 ]
Joined  2007-10-05
mid atlantic - 15 August 2012 08:02 PM

“Not being ignored, you say?” Then—if what we have here is a new and real science, the science of Will+Power—does it makes sense to you that this thread about WILLPOWER is dumped in the pseudo-science section?

RLK, the only non pseudo - scientific item that you’ve produced in this thread is the link to Baumeister’s research; which does not fit into your concept of “pneumatology”.  From that, it makes sense (to most of the members here) that this thread belongs in the Pseudoscience sub - forum.

I agree MA. And note that REV LGK ignored the part about this research not being new. All his crap about pneumatology and past life memories clearly fits in the Pseudoscience forum.

Signature 

Posted: 16 August 2012 05:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 150 ]
Joined  2007-10-05

Just ran across this on Rationally Speaking.

If we take in our hand any volume; of divinity or school metaphysics, for instance; let us ask, Does it contain any abstract reasoning concerning quantity or number? No. Does it contain any experimental reasoning concerning matter of fact and existence? No. Commit it then to the flames: for it can contain nothing but sophistry and illusion.” David Hume

This is exactly what the Rev has done this entire thread, posting ideas which lack mathematical rigor and empirical evidence. His ideas are sophistry and illusion.

Signature 

10 of 13