1 of 2
Good bye Sally Ride
Posted: 25 July 2012 12:53 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4400
Joined  2010-08-15

Well I’m not a woman but she was still an hero and an inspiration to me.
Sad to see her go.
http://www.cnn.com/2012/07/23/us/sally-ride-dead/index.html

(CNN)—Sitting in a meeting at NASA’s Science Advisory Committee on Monday afternoon, I heard the news that Sally Ride had died. She was important to everyone in that room—mostly space scientists and NASA officials. But for a handful of women like me, she was an irreplaceable leader.

Sally Ride, first American woman in space, dies

some nice pictures

Signature 

We need each other, to keep ourselves honest

Posted: 25 July 2012 12:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  4400
Joined  2010-08-15

120723110442-sally-ride-12-horizontal-gallery.jpg

She was 61.
Has it really been that many years ago…

Signature 

We need each other, to keep ourselves honest

Posted: 26 July 2012 10:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  1191
Joined  2011-08-01

2d7a1w6.jpg

Signature 

Free in Kentucky
—Humanist
“I am patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it.”—Edith Sitwell

Posted: 26 July 2012 07:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  7684
Joined  2008-04-11

Her wife of 28 years will not be able to receive her pension.
Her wife of 28 years will not be able to inherit without tax, any of her belongings.
It is long past time for marriage equality.

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 27 July 2012 03:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  2715
Joined  2011-04-24

I was born around the time when Ride went into space, so I have no memory or visceral response to her at all.

But what did she actually do?  Besides having the first American vagina in zero gravity, did she do anything scientifically unique or original?

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 27 July 2012 05:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Total Posts:  4860
Joined  2007-10-05
mid atlantic - 27 July 2012 03:36 AM

I was born around the time when Ride went into space, so I have no memory or visceral response to her at all.

But what did she actually do?  Besides having the first American vagina in zero gravity, did she do anything scientifically unique or original?

Instead of asking a cynical and sexist question why don’t you read NASA’s biography of Sally Ride.

Or the bio at the Academy of Acheivement.

There is even one at Sally Ride Science.

She led a fascinating life, and it is a damn shame her partner has no rights.

Signature 

You cannot have a rational conversation with someone who holds irrational beliefs.

Posted: 27 July 2012 05:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Joined  2011-08-01

Thanks for saying what I was thinking, Darron.

Signature 

Free in Kentucky
—Humanist
“I am patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it.”—Edith Sitwell

Posted: 27 July 2012 06:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Total Posts:  2715
Joined  2011-04-24

Fascinating life no doubt, but her accomplishments are the same crap any astronaut does.

Being the first American woman in space is a milestone, but I don’t get the hero worship.

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 27 July 2012 10:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

On that basis, why should we hero worship anyone for their accomplishments?  Just because someone plays a sport well, has a good set of vocal cords for singing, plays a musical instrument well, comes up with a scientific discovery - they are just people so why should we revere them?  Let’s burn all the biography books and get rid of all the awards of various kinds.  snake

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 27 July 2012 10:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Joined  2011-08-01
Occam. - 27 July 2012 10:01 AM

On that basis, why should we hero worship anyone for their accomplishments?  Just because someone plays a sport well, has a good set of vocal cords for singing, plays a musical instrument well, comes up with a scientific discovery - they are just people so why should we revere them? Let’s burn all the biography books and get rid of all the awards of various kinds.  snake

Good point, Occam.

Signature 

Free in Kentucky
—Humanist

Posted: 27 July 2012 11:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29

Is it a good point? I am not so sure. Occam is asking the wrong question since we in fact do worship our “heroes.” The word “should” makes no sense here. What we need to ask is “why do we hero-worship anyone for their accomplishments?”.

Ride is a hero to some of you here for the same reason why some people dislike broccoli. It’s simply a matter of taste.

Posted: 27 July 2012 11:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Total Posts:  3255
Joined  2011-08-15

My heroes are those individuals who fought the odds to accomplish their goals and serve as an object lesson to others that anyone can reach their objective in life with hard work and a little luck. Ride broke the sex barrier to become the first woman in space and I’m certain NASA just didn’t hand her the job. she obviously had the “right stuff” (pardon the cliche’) so kudos to her even after being kicked in the teeth because of her sexual preference. Gaining her position marked a milestone in space exploration. After all, she did what few humans have accomplished.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 27 July 2012 11:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Joined  2006-08-29
Thevillageatheist - 27 July 2012 11:19 AM

Ride broke the sex barrier to become the first woman in space

Actually it was Valentina Tereshkova, a Russian astronaut cosmonaut.

But I do agree with Mike here that neither Tereshkova nor Ride deserve much credit for being the first women in space. The Russians put a woman to space, so the Americans had to do the same.

Posted: 27 July 2012 11:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Joined  2006-08-29

But you probably still have time to put the first, I dunno, indigenous Australian into space. Or the first zebra. Or the first indigenous Australian AND a zebra at the same time.  cheese

Posted: 27 July 2012 12:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Total Posts:  3255
Joined  2011-08-15

Actually it was Valentina Tereshkova, a Russian astronaut cosmonaut.

But I do agree with Mike here that neither Tereshkova nor Ride deserve much credit for being the first women in space. The Russians put a woman to space, so the Americans had to do the same.

Damn, I knew that! Ok the first AMERICAN woman in space. Blast those Slavs, they beat us again. First satellite, first dog, first man first woman, first Venutian probe, I get your point George, but it was more difficult for a female here to move up in NASA than in The Soviet Union given the traditional role of Women in the 50’s and early 60’s. Russian women were even used as front line fighters in World War II. Taking nothing away from Tereshkova of course. IMO Ride still deserves the appellation.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 27 July 2012 11:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  207
Joined  2011-09-23

I dont worship people who have been the first of their gender, ethnicity, or religion to do something, but i sure admire those who dare to go to orbit on a rocket, and live in zero gravity, only inches away from the deadly emptiness of space.

1 of 2