2 of 2
Good bye Sally Ride
Posted: 28 July 2012 02:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2699
Joined  2011-04-24

The fact is, Ride is only being paraded because she was a woman- and she died recently; nothing means greatness in America like death.  If a male astronaut went in her place nothing would be different.

She was just a lesbian astronaut, that’s why people want to scream her story.

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 28 July 2012 05:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Total Posts:  3208
Joined  2011-08-15

The fact is, Ride is only being paraded because she was a woman- and she died recently; nothing means greatness in America like death.  If a male astronaut went in her place nothing would be different.

That’s not the point at all Mike, It’s not the fact that she was a lesbian astronaut, it’s the adversity that she had to overcome just to get the chance to be picked for the ultimate dangerous assignment. I admire her courage and tenacity more than her sexual preference and BTW when the first AMERICAN man (to satisfy George’s qualifications, and yes I know it was Yuri Gagaran) Allen B. Shephard died there was a great deal of hoopla. Also the three astronauts who died in the capsule. So it’s her accomplishments more than her sex that gained her the recognition she deserved.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 28 July 2012 08:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Total Posts:  4350
Joined  2010-08-15
DarronS - 27 July 2012 05:04 AM
mid atlantic - 27 July 2012 03:36 AM

I was born around the time when Ride went into space, so I have no memory or visceral response to her at all.

But what did she actually do?  Besides having the first American vagina in zero gravity, did she do anything scientifically unique or original?

Instead of asking a cynical and sexist question why don’t you read NASA’s biography of Sally Ride.

Or the bio at the Academy of Acheivement.

There is even one at Sally Ride Science.

She led a fascinating life, and it is a damn shame her partner has no rights.

I caught up on this thread last night and considering it was after dealing with those obtuse, cynical idiots over at Skepticforum who will find one word to totally derail and ignore an entire logical presentation of evidence - I walked away with my head spinning.

At least I’m glad I didn’t write hero with a capital H.  sick
OK, she wasn’t Abe Lincoln, or Gandhi, or Martin Luther Jr.  and yes perhaps “hero” has been watered down in this age of hyperbole.  But, then again she achieved great things in a world that didn’t cut her any slack - then she did much to share her experiences and educate and inspire younger people.

She was a fine person who achieved much that deserves respect for those achievements and her passing touched me and I felt like doing to a shout-out to the universe.

PS

asanta - 26 July 2012 07:30 PM

Her wife of 28 years will not be able to receive her pension.
Her wife of 28 years will not be able to inherit without tax, any of her belongings.
It is long past time for marriage equality.

FreeInKy - 26 July 2012 10:00 AM

2d7a1w6.jpg

Signature 

We need each other, to keep ourselves honest

Posted: 28 July 2012 10:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Total Posts:  1765
Joined  2007-10-22
George - 27 July 2012 11:16 AM

Is it a good point? I am not so sure. Occam is asking the wrong question since we in fact do worship our “heroes.” The word “should” makes no sense here. What we need to ask is “why do we hero-worship anyone for their accomplishments?”.

Ride is a hero to some of you here for the same reason why some people dislike broccoli. It’s simply a matter of taste.

Why do we hero-worship?

It appears that hero-worship is one of the the things that socities use to set standards and bring peolple together in common causes.  ie. Washington; Lincoln; Gandi; Martin Luther King; Adam Smith, Albert Einstien, Ronald Regan and many others depending on what any particular segment of society wishes to emphasize.

Signature 

Gary the Human

All the Gods and all religions are created by humans, to meet human needs and accomplish human ends.

Posted: 28 July 2012 12:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

Quoting George:

Occam is asking the wrong question since we in fact do worship our “heroes.”

Damn, I did it again.  I have to learn to make some obvious sign or suffix when I’m being a wise ass or similar.  In this case, George, I was being ironic.  I felt that by carrying the idea to an extreme the flaw in the original concept would be apparent.

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 29 July 2012 12:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Total Posts:  698
Joined  2007-10-14
asanta - 26 July 2012 07:30 PM

Her wife of 28 years will not be able to receive her pension.
Her wife of 28 years will not be able to inherit without tax, any of her belongings.
It is long past time for marriage equality.

`
(sigh) shameful ;(

`

Signature 

‘we are so fundamentally constituted of desire that we go on hearing music…...even though we know the band is gone and the stage is silent’

Posted: 29 July 2012 12:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Total Posts:  698
Joined  2007-10-14
mid atlantic - 27 July 2012 03:36 AM

IBut what did she actually do?  Besides having the first American vagina in zero gravity, did she do anything scientifically unique or original?

`
I look forward to hearing your equally poignant reaction when astronaut Guion “Guy” Bluford dies and receives similar coverage.

I can hear it now…..”besides having the first African American penis in zero gravity, what did he actually ‘do’?

I fail to see how the coverage of Ride’s passing amounts to anything close to “hero worship”.  Pioneer, accomplished life + astronaut = about the amount of coverage we’re seeing.

The ‘surprise’ of her having such a long-standing committed relationship with someone of the same gender raising the interest level somewhat.

`

Signature 

‘we are so fundamentally constituted of desire that we go on hearing music…...even though we know the band is gone and the stage is silent’

Posted: 29 July 2012 12:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Total Posts:  7684
Joined  2008-04-11
Thevillageatheist - 28 July 2012 05:19 AM

That’s not the point at all Mike, It’s not the fact that she was a lesbian astronaut, it’s the adversity that she had to overcome just to get the chance to be picked for the ultimate dangerous assignment. I admire her courage and tenacity more than her sexual preference and BTW when the first AMERICAN man (to satisfy George’s qualifications, and yes I know it was Yuri Gagaran) Allen B. Shephard died there was a great deal of hoopla. Also the three astronauts who died in the capsule. So it’s her accomplishments more than her sex that gained her the recognition she deserved.
Cap’t Jack

Thanks, I couldn’t have said it better. When she went into space, It smashed one of the last bastion of maleness (other than the POTUS). As a HS student, my dad always told me that I COULD do anything I wanted, but looking around, could see it was not necessarily true, women had to break through ceilings kicking and screaming, one at a time. Heck, when I graduated HS, women couldn’t even be police officers, much less consider being astronauts!

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 29 July 2012 12:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Total Posts:  7684
Joined  2008-04-11
Alexander80 - 27 July 2012 11:21 PM

I dont worship people who have been the first of their gender, ethnicity, or religion to do something, but i sure admire those who dare to go to orbit on a rocket, and live in zero gravity, only inches away from the deadly emptiness of space.

I agree, but in order to be the first American woman to do it, you’d better believe she had to be twice as competent as the men were, because that’s just how America rolls… smirk

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 30 July 2012 08:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Total Posts:  1191
Joined  2011-08-01
mid atlantic - 28 July 2012 02:29 AM

Well, it beats worshiping Justin Bieber.  LOL

Signature 

Free in Kentucky
—Humanist
“I am patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it.”—Edith Sitwell

2 of 2