1 of 2
Olympics
Posted: 27 July 2012 03:05 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2714
Joined  2011-04-24

Is anybody excited about the Olympics?

If I have time, I will watch the opening ceremony with all the pomp, but after that I struggle to stay interested.

Writing this just made me wonder; do you think the Olympic games are promoting unhealthy competition between nations?  Are they rigged? Do you think they are a kind of cultural imperialism?  Just a moneymaking thing?

What are everybody’s thoughts?

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 27 July 2012 04:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15435
Joined  2006-02-14

It’s funny: I used to get really into the Olympics, many years ago. But more recently, for whatever reason, I just can’t be bothered.

At any rate, to the extent that any competition is healthy, I think Olympic competition is healthy. After all, the whole idea of it was to provide a competitive arena separate from warfare.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 27 July 2012 04:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29

I prefer the winter Olympics.

Posted: 27 July 2012 05:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  1191
Joined  2011-08-01

I guess you could call me a “casual fan” of the Olympics. I keep up with the major games and watch some of it on TV. If you focus on the individual athletes it’s much more meaningful, IMHO.

Signature 

Free in Kentucky
—Humanist
“I am patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it.”—Edith Sitwell

Posted: 27 July 2012 05:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  3255
Joined  2011-08-15

I prefer the Winter Olympics. As an ice skater and fond fan of Winter (hope it snows butt deep every year) the Summer olympics doesn’t hold my interest. The diving competition is cool though. That’s about the only thing that interests me.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 27 July 2012 05:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Joined  2006-08-29

I forgot about the women’s beach volleyball. That is always fun. Although, the Muslims are really trying to spoil it for me. Supposedly, the Olympic committee no longer requires women’s beach volleyball teams to wear bikinis. But hey, if the Muslim women wanna play wearing burkas, what do I care?

Posted: 27 July 2012 06:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Joined  2011-04-24

They ought to make everyone who participates go nude, like the original games.

The male hurdlers will have to be really talented for that one. LOL

Signature 

Posted: 27 July 2012 06:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Total Posts:  6160
Joined  2009-02-26

I’ve been watching soccer matches of the hybrid under twenty three age group, where 3 older (professional) players on each team are allowed. This a terrific format to see proven professional stars combining with the new young hungry lions. The experienced players feed to the exact spot for use by the new young virtuouso players in our next soccer generation.
Big, fast, very skillful, and with wide vision.  Yep, I confess I like good soccer

[ Edited: 27 July 2012 06:10 AM by Write4U ]
 Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 27 July 2012 07:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  37
Joined  2012-07-13

Watching sports is not for me.  I play them (we won our ball game last night in the last inning) but rarely watch them.  Watching tykes play hockey or ball is far more entertaining (hockey parents on the other hand…yikes!)

The Olympics is such an uneven playing field, with some countries’ athletes getting huge funding while others toil with no resources other than their own desire.  Not to mention the “suppliments” many, but not all, athletes take.  The personality of the games is far too focused on medal counts and shining a spotlight on the victors. 

I know I’m naive but I can’t help it.

Signature 

It is morally as bad not to care whether a thing is true or not, so long as it makes you feel good, as it is not to care how you got your money as long as you have got it.  Edmund Way Teale, Circle of the Seasons

Posted: 27 July 2012 08:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Joined  2006-08-29
3point14rat - 27 July 2012 07:16 AM

Agreed. I guess you are a liberal…  cheese

Some countries have evolved to have more money to support their athletes, other countries have evolved to have people with more athletic bodies. Sounds like a fair game to me. Maybe you wish all the athletes to be identical twins from one family (?).  wink

Posted: 27 July 2012 08:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Joined  2011-04-24

The Olympics is such an uneven playing field, with some countries’ athletes getting huge funding while others toil with no resources other than their own desire.  Not to mention the “suppliments” many, but not all, athletes take.  The personality of the games is far too focused on medal counts and shining a spotlight on the victors. 

I hear you, but funding doesn’t necessarily make any one nations participants perform better.

Some events like Track and Field, Weight Lifting, Swimming, Boxing can be trained for in the most bare bones ways; and medal counts and spotlight are basically what it’s all about, to be frank.  It’s highly doubtful many of the competitors care about sportsmanship, lust for glory is the main motivation.

[ Edited: 27 July 2012 08:56 AM by mid atlantic ]
 Signature 

Posted: 27 July 2012 09:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

Sorry, but I have too many other things going on, both personally and politically to use my time with sports.  It’s fine to participate, but I’ve never been interested in watching them.

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 27 July 2012 10:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  37
Joined  2012-07-13
George - 27 July 2012 08:02 AM
3point14rat - 27 July 2012 07:16 AM

Agreed. I guess you are a liberal…  cheese

Some countries have evolved to have more money to support their athletes, other countries have evolved to have people with more athletic bodies. Sounds like a fair game to me. Maybe you wish all the athletes to be identical twins from one family (?).  wink

When people compete, things should be fair and even. 

My opinion is that taking pills containing substances not allowed by the rules of the game is cheating.  And when there is a competition, it is my opinion that if not all of the competitors have access to the same resources, the level playing field isn’t level and the spirit of fair play is lost.

I don’t want genetic clones competing, I want honesty, fair play and a good attitude.  My opinion of what’s fair isn’t universal, few opinions are (especially mine).

Signature 

It is morally as bad not to care whether a thing is true or not, so long as it makes you feel good, as it is not to care how you got your money as long as you have got it.  Edmund Way Teale, Circle of the Seasons

Posted: 27 July 2012 10:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Total Posts:  782
Joined  2009-07-17

After trying to watch actual games many years ago with the action constantly being interrupted by this athlete’s mini-bio or that useless trivia piece, I just gave up. Sadly, I couldn’t care less about them these days. :p

Take care,

Derek

Signature 

“It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good—and less trouble.”—Mark Twain

Posted: 27 July 2012 06:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Total Posts:  1283
Joined  2011-03-12

Is anybody excited about the Olympics?

Not really. The opening ceremonies are fun to watch, but that’s where it ends for me. I wish the athletes the best and may the best win, but my mind will be on other things.

Signature 

Question authority and think for yourself. Big Brother does not know best and never has.

Posted: 28 July 2012 08:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Total Posts:  3063
Joined  2010-04-26

I couldn’t care less.

Signature 

“In the end nature is horrific and teaches us nothing.” -Mutual of Omicron

1 of 2