2 of 2
Olympics
Posted: 28 July 2012 02:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7593
Joined  2007-03-02

We almost never watch the Olympics, unless maybe gymnastics, ice skating, or something else and even then we loose interest in it at a drop of a hat- any hat.

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 29 July 2012 01:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Total Posts:  7684
Joined  2008-04-11
mid atlantic - 27 July 2012 03:05 AM

Is anybody excited about the Olympics?

If I have time, I will watch the opening ceremony with all the pomp, but after that I struggle to stay interested.

Writing this just made me wonder; do you think the Olympic games are promoting unhealthy competition between nations?  Are they rigged? Do you think they are a kind of cultural imperialism?  Just a moneymaking thing?

What are everybody’s thoughts?

I liked it much better when I had to wait 4 years between extravaganzas. Now that it is every two years, it is not as special, and it always seems as if the Olympics is always beginning or ending….making it much less special.

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 29 July 2012 01:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Total Posts:  6093
Joined  2009-02-26

If I have time, I will watch the opening ceremony with all the pomp, but after that I struggle to stay interested.

Writing this just made me wonder; do you think the Olympic games are promoting unhealthy competition between nations?  Are they rigged? Do you think they are a kind of cultural imperialism?  Just a moneymaking thing?

I believe the Olympics actually are financial losers. They are lucky to break even. But that is not the intent. Is is a gathering of young sports persons to compete in friendly competition. Lifelong friendships between people from totally different cultures are made and a mutual respect is forged during the competitions and ceremonies. 
IMO, unless it becomes too politicized, it is one the more positive common endeavors among peoples and countries.

Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 30 July 2012 10:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Total Posts:  786
Joined  2012-04-25

When I found out athletes and coaches go where the money for training is, I lost interest.  To me, if games are pitched as healthy competition amongst nations, source of national pride, etc., then the athletes better be FROM the nation whose flag they compete for. Otherwise it’s just about the individuals. And that’s ok BUT don’t lie about it being about nations then.  Plus the fact that on TV at least the networks only show the big money events sours it for me.

Posted: 30 July 2012 12:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Total Posts:  3046
Joined  2010-04-26

For some Olympic themed hilarity, I bring you the tale of a man who tried to swim to America from France.  He’s just riddled with Olympic Fever.

Signature 

“In the end nature is horrific and teaches us nothing.” -Mutual of Omicron

Posted: 30 July 2012 01:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Total Posts:  6093
Joined  2009-02-26
Dead Monky - 30 July 2012 12:10 PM

For some Olympic themed hilarity, I bring you the tale of a man who tried to swim to America from France.  He’s just riddled with Olympic Fever.

Can you imagine his surprise when he lands in Bordeaux and finds out the games are in London…. cheese

Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 04 August 2012 11:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Total Posts:  1805
Joined  2005-07-20

I’m enjoying the Olympics, I like cycling, volleyball, and a couple of other events.  I still haven’t seen any archery, but would like to.  I could do without all the reverence about the sports.  I loved the opening ceremony, the five rings looking freshly forged were a great effect, that must have been spectacular to see it live.  I thought that Beijing did a better opening ceremony though, I still remember them lighting the Olympic cauldron, the flame running up the edges of the stadium to explode when it reached the cauldron.  Wow.  big surprise

The television coverage is good this year, they are showing some variety, and repeat a sport enough that you can follow it, rather than just seeing a glimpse of it.

To bad there’s so much money and cheating behind the whole thing, one-hundred athletes banned before the first day, just because the drug testers discovered a new drug test, but I suppose there are thousands of athletes and so one-hundred is a small percent of the whole.  I think that the badminton players were just being strategic when they tried to throw that match, I’d rather see them stay in the games.

Its a little sad though, to see the athletes devote so much time and energy… and what do they get in the end?  Its sad to see the gymnastics being judged down to the slightest little twitch, and down to a hundredth-of-a-point… the truth being that they are all amazing and wonderful.  smile

Signature 

I saw a happy rainbow recently.

Posted: 04 August 2012 01:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Total Posts:  4350
Joined  2010-08-15
Dead Monky - 30 July 2012 12:10 PM

What spoil sports the Coast Guard are   mad
The guy was a shoe-in for the Darwin Awards   kiss

Signature 

We need each other, to keep ourselves honest

Posted: 08 August 2012 10:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Total Posts:  4350
Joined  2010-08-15

{...}

There was a time I though they were pretty near greatest thing on earth, after the space race.  But, I was very young and these Olympics are not those Olympics anyways. {me thinks, it appears overfeeding creatures creates monsters}

What do I think about them? Quite the rich man’s racket:

Athens

OLY607_1431938l.jpg
By ELENA BECATOROS

The Associated Press

There’s still one group that loves the training pool for athletes at the former Olympic village in Athens’ northern fringe.

Frogs.

They appear to delight in sitting on debris that floats on the half-filled pool’s murky waters.

Beijing

volleyball-jpg_194418-620x402.jpg
TheBlaze.com

Okay, to be fair, not all of the $40 billion dollars worth of infrastructure that went into the 2008 Beijing Olympics has been abandoned or destroyed (for instance, they still get some mileage out of that “Bird’s Nest” thing), but, good grief, they’ve allowed an awful lot of it to fall by the wayside.

for poops and grins, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Olympic_Committee
start at the bottom and work up.

Signature 

We need each other, to keep ourselves honest

Posted: 09 August 2012 01:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Total Posts:  2698
Joined  2011-04-24
citizenschallenge.pm - 08 August 2012 10:23 AM

{...}

There was a time I though they were pretty near greatest thing on earth, after the space race.  But, I was very young and these Olympics are not those Olympics anyways. {me thinks, it appears overfeeding creatures creates monsters}

What do I think about them? Quite the rich man’s racket:

Athens

OLY607_1431938l.jpg
By ELENA BECATOROS

The Associated Press

There’s still one group that loves the training pool for athletes at the former Olympic village in Athens’ northern fringe.

Frogs.

They appear to delight in sitting on debris that floats on the half-filled pool’s murky waters.

Beijing

volleyball-jpg_194418-620x402.jpg
TheBlaze.com

Okay, to be fair, not all of the $40 billion dollars worth of infrastructure that went into the 2008 Beijing Olympics has been abandoned or destroyed (for instance, they still get some mileage out of that “Bird’s Nest” thing), but, good grief, they’ve allowed an awful lot of it to fall by the wayside.

for poops and grins, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Olympic_Committee
start at the bottom and work up.

Damn, what a racket the Olympics is.  Those abandoned arenas are not surprising though.

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 09 August 2012 05:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Total Posts:  3196
Joined  2011-08-15

By ELENA BECATOROS

The Associated Press

Frogs.

Well, at least that’s one positive thing we can all agree on, frogs are endangered. Go Greek frogs! Now any more empty venues for the honey bees?

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 10 August 2012 04:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

Sorry if this annoys some of you, but I just heard the absolute greatest news — the Olympics will end this weekend.  My favorite evening TV viewing is MSNBC, and they’ve had ONLY Olympic coverage since it began.  I’ve been stuck with watching Big Bang Theory reruns.

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

2 of 2