1 of 2
Bay Area Great Grandson Of L. Ron Hubbard Blasts Scientology
Posted: 27 July 2012 07:25 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1191
Joined  2011-08-01

The Church of Scientology is known for its famous followers and its reputation for secrecy. In an interview with CBS 5, the great grandson of the church’s founder L. Ron Hubbard blasts Scientology, accusing it of destroying his family.

You can’t choose your family but Jamie DeWolf wishes he could. In fact he said he is putting himself in danger by just talking to CBS 5.

De Wolf, who lives in the Bay Area, is the great grandson of L. Ron Hubbard, a man he refers to as a “portly red-headed charismatic lying con-man pseudoscience self-help author.”

Linky

Signature 

Free in Kentucky
—Humanist
“I am patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it.”—Edith Sitwell

Posted: 27 July 2012 08:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  2886
Joined  2011-08-15

No wonder his guy is concerned about his health. And I commend him on his courageous stance. This scam has morphed into one dangerous cult that now claims international status. And they have money, lots of it. It only remains to be seen when they’ll involve themselves in national politics. So far their prominent spokespeople are entertainers.

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~dst/Fishman/time-behar.html

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 27 July 2012 09:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  1396
Joined  2010-04-22

It’s not as if this is any new information, though. We know that Ron Hubbard was a master con artist and all that stuff.

Signature 

“All musicians are subconsciously mathematicians.”

- Thelonious Monk

Posted: 27 July 2012 06:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  1283
Joined  2011-03-12

It’s not as if this is any new information, though. We know that Ron Hubbard was a master con artist and all that stuff.

Yeah, we know this, however, a lot of the general public seems to be unaware of the fact. The Church of Scientology knows how to use the power of litigation to deflect or muzzle those who ask the tough questions too.

Signature 

Question authority and think for yourself. Big Brother does not know best and never has.

Posted: 29 July 2012 01:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  7641
Joined  2008-04-11

I’ve met Jamie on several occasions, and my son knows him better than I do. They have done slam poetry together for years, which is how I first met him. He was a lot angrier about his great grandfather then. He actually did a full page interview with one of the SF papers about scientology around 10 years ago. Yes, they were threatening him, but he refused to buckle. I think they leave him alone now…for the most part. He is an awesome poet. When I first met him, he used the last name of ‘Kennedy’. He is an under-appreciated talent. If you ever get a chance to hear him perform, I would encourage you to do so.

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 30 July 2012 10:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Total Posts:  635
Joined  2012-04-25
Thevillageatheist - 27 July 2012 08:21 AM

...This scam has morphed into one dangerous cult that now claims international status. And they have money, lots of it. It only remains to be seen when they’ll involve themselves in national politics. So far their prominent spokespeople are entertainers… Cap’t Jack

And this is different from Catholicism, Mormonism, Christianity in general in what way?  Just because a religion has been around for a long time, and has cult leaders who wear fancy costumes, and read out of fake story books that sound like Shakespeare, doesn’t make them less a cult than the blatantly obvious ones like Scientology. In a way the bigger religions are much worse.  And I might add, no one ever committed genocide in the name of Scientology. ((BTW, I don’t mean to imply anything about the actual prophets around whom the religions are built.  Jesus IMHO had many great ideas we should all try to follow, theist and atheist alike.))

Posted: 30 July 2012 11:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Joined  2011-08-01

Yep. When you’re small and far outside the mainstream orthodoxies, you’re a cult. When you are large and powerful, you’re a bona fide religion. As far as I can tell, that’s the only difference.

Signature 

Free in Kentucky
—Humanist
“I am patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it.”—Edith Sitwell

Posted: 30 July 2012 03:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Joined  2011-08-15

Ok, in a way, but no Methodist goons followed me down the street or left threatening phone calls on my answering machine when I left the church. And I’m pretty certain that you don’t have to buy a “special machine” to clear the aliens out of your body if you want to remain a loyal catholic. Scientology is one batshit crazy cult not begun by a philosopher who wanted to help mankind, but by a sci-fI huckster whose major purpose was to gain some form of immortality by creating his own religious belief. The mainstream religions have morphed themselves into a new belief some pundits call “churchianity”. They may scare your kids with their “hell houses” but that’s about it.

Cap’t jack

Signature 

Thomas Paine

Posted: 31 July 2012 11:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Joined  2012-04-25

Sorry still not buying it. The Church is the grand daddy of all batshit craziness, especially when you consider it’s whole history.  Threatening calls just doesn’t stack up, evil-wise, to genocide, centuries of mental AND physical torture, sexual perversion, etc. and much more. I forget the exact history of it, but I think it was an early crusade, or early Christians of some sort ransacked and burnt down the library at Alexandria. That act alone set all of Western civilization back hundreds of years.

Said it before, I’ll say it again. Jesus would be utterly ashamed, beyond shame, if he knew what others had done in his name.

Posted: 31 July 2012 11:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Joined  2011-08-01

Jack, your point is well taken but I personally believe that mainstream Christianity has done and continues to do more harm than Scientology and similar cults ever did. Just in different ways. For one thing, it touches the lives of many more people, directly and indirectly. And the fact that it is socially approved makes it more dangerous than cults that raise the suspicions of most people. For every person harmed by the idiotic claims of Scientology, there are doubtless thousands who have been given horrible counsel by an unqualified pastor or priest, not to mention all the psychological—and yes sometimes physical—abuse doled out by churches. And you want to talk about money-making scams? Ever hear of Benny Hinn, Joyce Meyer, Creflo Dollar, or Kenneth Copeland? Of course you have. wink

Signature 

Free in Kentucky
—Humanist

Posted: 31 July 2012 01:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Joined  2011-08-15

Jack, your point is well taken but I personally believe that mainstream Christianity has done and continues to do more harm than Scientology and similar cults ever did. Just in different ways. For one thing, it touches the lives of many more people, directly and indirectly. And the fact that it is socially approved makes it more dangerous than cults that raise the suspicions of most people. For every person harmed by the idiotic claims of Scientology, there are doubtless thousands who have been given horrible counsel by an unqualified pastor or priest, not to mention all the psychological—and yes sometimes physical—abuse doled out by churches. And you want to talk about money-making scams? Ever hear of Benny Hinn, Joyce Meyer, Creflo Dollar, or Kenneth Copeland? Of course you have

Al cult is a cult is a cult and the mainstream religious groups have had millennia to work their dubious deeds. Absolutely no argument there but not one of them marries pseudoscience with religious philosophy and uses mafia-like tactics to control it’s adherents like Scientology. That was my original point. We are arguing past and present here, and I have NO argument with your bringing up the abuses of mainstream groups that were also considered cults in their day. But remember that with the exception of Mormonism, the churches that took root here existed in a time of prescience and superstition. Scientology is a 20Th century cult and as such, having been born in the modern age of science and skepticism. So even though they haven’t slaughtered thousands or even hundreds (give them a few hundred years perhaps) I think you’ll agree at it’s still a potentially dangerous cult that bears watching. FWIW if there was a hell, they can all go there for the countless abuses they’ve done and are still doing to their adherents. Jerry Falwell is waiting!

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

Thomas Paine

Posted: 31 July 2012 02:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Total Posts:  1805
Joined  2005-07-20

Leap of Faith (5/11)

I enjoyed the movie “Leap of Faith” with Steve Martin and Laim Neeson, its about a preacher who sets up a circus tent in the middle of no-where to have a Christian “revival” attracting the rural people to give him money for the promise of healing them with the power of God.  The movie was all about faking it, and believing it, and didn’t make a strong conclusion in the end.  Sort of an exposé movie.

The first vid shows the good preacher Jonus explaining that since he gives a good music show, good sentiment, and hope smile, then he has earned the money that the people give to him.  And it shows him studying up on the lines that he’ll tell the audience… to give them that hope. smile Then he expresses the power… of true belief.  We all know that power don’t we? hmmm

Leap of Faith (7/11)

In the second vid the sheriff announces Jonus’ rap sheet, and that he’s from NYC not Appalachia.  big surprise  But, the good Jonus pulls out a save, because the worst sinner… makes the best savior, because who else could know sin… and redemption better than he.  grin

Signature 

I saw a happy rainbow recently.

Posted: 01 August 2012 06:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Joined  2011-08-01
Thevillageatheist - 31 July 2012 01:09 PM

Al cult is a cult is a cult and the mainstream religious groups have had millennia to work their dubious deeds. Absolutely no argument there but not one of them marries pseudoscience with religious philosophy and uses mafia-like tactics to control it’s adherents like Scientology. That was my original point. We are arguing past and present here, and I have NO argument with your bringing up the abuses of mainstream groups that were also considered cults in their day. But remember that with the exception of Mormonism, the churches that took root here existed in a time of prescience and superstition. Scientology is a 20Th century cult and as such, having been born in the modern age of science and skepticism. So even though they haven’t slaughtered thousands or even hundreds (give them a few hundred years perhaps) I think you’ll agree at it’s still a potentially dangerous cult that bears watching. FWIW if there was a hell, they can all go there for the countless abuses they’ve done and are still doing to their adherents. Jerry Falwell is waiting

I certainly agree that Scientology is particularly dangerous and the circumstances of its founding and early growth are particularly beguiling. No argument there. I guess I just think it’s a bit strange when people who believe in talking snakes, worldwide floods, and a guy with no human daddy who crawled out of the grave point mocking fingers at other weird beliefs. The fact that I was there once myself makes me want to scream it from the rooftops: “It’s all whacked, you morons!”  rolleyes

Signature 

Free in Kentucky
—Humanist

Posted: 01 August 2012 07:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Joined  2011-08-15

I certainly agree that Scientology is particularly dangerous and the circumstances of its founding and early growth are particularly beguiling. No argument there. I guess I just think it’s a bit strange when people who believe in talking snakes, worldwide floods, and a guy with no human daddy who crawled out of the grave point mocking fingers at other weird beliefs. The fact that I was there once myself makes me want to scream it from the rooftops: “It’s all whacked, you morons!” 

Truer words were never written Free. I was once there myself! Am now reading Joe Nickells’ book on miracles and it’s incredible how credulous believers (am I being redundant here?) fall for this hucksterism by priests and mentally disturbed believers. They have been taught to accept anything supernatural and these “occurrences” draw thousands to the weeping statues and icons.  Of course there are also vendors waiting to sell mini statues and vials of saint’s tears. Here’s the real harm; preying (not praying) on the faithful just as those whom you mentioned earlier. Snake oil salesmen and Elmer Gantrys with their mega churches.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

Thomas Paine

Posted: 01 August 2012 09:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Joined  2012-04-25
Thevillageatheist - 31 July 2012 01:09 PM

... But remember that with the exception of Mormonism, the churches that took root here existed in a time of prescience and superstition. Scientology is a 20Th century cult and as such, having been born in the modern age of science and skepticism. So even though they haven’t slaughtered thousands or even hundreds (give them a few hundred years perhaps) I think you’ll agree at it’s still a potentially dangerous cult that bears watching. FWIW if there was a hell, they can all go there for the countless abuses they’ve done and are still doing to their adherents. Jerry Falwell is waiting!

Very good point. In that sense they definitely are more dangerous.  Xtianity at least went their “middle ages” stage when the damage they could do was limited by such primitive technology.

Posted: 01 August 2012 06:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Joined  2011-08-15

Very good point. In that sense they definitely are more dangerous.  Xtianity at least went their “middle ages” stage when the damage they could do was limited by such primitive technology.

Absolutely, but now the technology’s not so primitive. Scientology aims to marry religion and science together, well science fiction that is but it is disguised as science hence making it more palatable to the new age guys. Maybe one day they’ll build a Scientology museum in downtown LA complete with mannequins of the original aliens who supposedly inhabit our bodies from that volcano they all jumped out of!

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

Thomas Paine

1 of 2