2 of 2
Is dipping the flag a worthwhile tradition?
Posted: 29 July 2012 12:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6120
Joined  2009-02-26

It’s all part of being an “exceptional country with exceptional people”. Problem is that this is a false pride and inherently prejudicial. There are other exceptional countries which value “politeness” and “courtesy”.

This is one of the reasons I like Obama, he has tried to practice the art of concilliatory diplomacy and has restored the true face of America. Then Romney goes around insulting every single time he is being hosted. His idea of American exceptionalism is rooted in money and power, not the fundamental humanity of the Constitution..

Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 29 July 2012 04:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Total Posts:  698
Joined  2007-10-14

`
What, exactly, does “dipping” the flag mean?  is it synonymous with ‘lowering’ the flag?

I’ve never heard it before :)

`

Signature 

‘we are so fundamentally constituted of desire that we go on hearing music…...even though we know the band is gone and the stage is silent’

Posted: 29 July 2012 05:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Total Posts:  2699
Joined  2011-04-24
Axegrrl - 29 July 2012 04:46 AM

`
What, exactly, does “dipping” the flag mean?  is it synonymous with ‘lowering’ the flag?

I’ve never heard it before smile

`

Yes.

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 29 July 2012 05:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Joined  2009-02-26
mid atlantic - 29 July 2012 05:12 AM
Axegrrl - 29 July 2012 04:46 AM

`

I’ve never heard it before smile

`

Yes.

I believe dipping thr flag it is briefly lowering the pole, not the flag. Instead of straight up, the pole is held at a diagonal. Very similar to tipping one’s hat (wih a slight nod), a gesture of courtesy, respect, and loyalty to a common cause, i.e. peaceful competition in sports.

http://articles.latimes.com/2012/jul/22/sports/la-sp-0723-oly-dropping-flag-20120723

[ Edited: 29 July 2012 03:24 PM by Write4U ]
 Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 29 July 2012 05:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Total Posts:  3208
Joined  2011-08-15

I believe dipping thr flag it is briefly lowering the pole, not the flag. Instead of straight up, the pole is held at a diagonal. Very similar to tipping once hat (wih a slight nod), a gesture of courtesy, respect, and loyalty to a common cause, i.e. peaceful competition in sports.

That’s right. It was considered a matter of courtesy and is a military custom. Ex. When military vessels entered a Foreign port they were expected to lower the flag, usually half way as a sort of dip then back to the original position. US military formations used to carry two flags one national and one to designate the formation. The formation flag would be dipped to dignitaries and the national flag was left in place. It’s an old custom to show national pride, but honestly I think we’ve more than made our point since the last century. As a citizen, I’m really fed to the back teeth (old Appalachian expression) with unilateral thinking. There are many countries out there and they deserve the same respect that they give to us, even Belgium and Lichtenstein. Ok Andorra too. Cool flag. My favorite, I collect them BTW is the one my exchange student from Basque country gave me. Yes the basques do have a national flag. Much to the chagrin of the Spanish.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 30 July 2012 08:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Total Posts:  1191
Joined  2011-08-01

Much ado about nothing. The things that humans will contend about never ceases to amaze me.

Signature 

Free in Kentucky
—Humanist
“I am patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it.”—Edith Sitwell

Posted: 30 July 2012 02:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

Let’s take this argument to the extreme and see if it still fits.  Suppose, as the U.S. contingent walked pass the Queen of England, they had all raised their hands with middle finger extended.  Could we say, “It’s OK.  The U.S. is just expressing their feelings of power and national pride”? 

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 30 July 2012 03:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Joined  2009-02-26
Occam. - 30 July 2012 02:52 PM

Let’s take this argument to the extreme and see if it still fits.  Suppose, as the U.S. contingent walked pass the Queen of England, they had all raised their hands with middle finger extended.  Could we say, “It’s OK.  The U.S. is just expressing their feelings of power and national pride”? 

Occam

I remember that first black athlete who raised a “black power” fist during the awards. It created more of a stir here than in the host country or the world for that matter. It was an extraordinary breach of American “manners” and shook our nation’s delicate sensibilities of practicing courtesy and respect to its very foundations.

[ Edited: 30 July 2012 03:05 PM by Write4U ]
 Signature 

W4U

Posted: 31 July 2012 11:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Total Posts:  1191
Joined  2011-08-01
Occam. - 30 July 2012 02:52 PM

Man, that mental image made me laugh out loud.  LOL

Signature 

Free in Kentucky
—Humanist
“I am patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it.”—Edith Sitwell

Posted: 31 July 2012 12:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Total Posts:  3208
Joined  2011-08-15

Occam

Then the Queen and her entourage would reply in kind with their traditional 2 finger salute to express their ancient tradition of power display and national pride pre dating America’s by some 500 years. take that you pretentious “Jonathans!” eh what? Cheeky devils.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

2 of 2