2 of 3
Anyone for 3D Printed Guns?
Posted: 01 August 2012 07:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3264
Joined  2011-08-15

Now we’re talking here! From assault weapons to Mexican food. What a better way to use modern technology. If in the future we can find a way to produce synfood from 3D replicators half of the problems will be solved for our great-great grandchildren. Now on to climate change.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 02 August 2012 12:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Total Posts:  3063
Joined  2010-04-26

Screw climate change.  We’ll just seal ourselves off in enclosures and produce all our food with 3D printers and vats.  I’m fairly certain I’ve read that in several of my sci-fi books.

Signature 

“In the end nature is horrific and teaches us nothing.” -Mutual of Omicron

Posted: 02 August 2012 06:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Total Posts:  3264
Joined  2011-08-15

Screw climate change.  We’ll just seal ourselves off in enclosures and produce all our food with 3D printers and vats.  I’m fairly certain I’ve read that in several of my sci-fi books.

Sounds suspiciously like a scene out of total recall DM! The old one ,not the remake. Haven’t seen that one yet.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 03 August 2012 05:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Total Posts:  1191
Joined  2011-08-01
Dead Monky - 02 August 2012 12:00 PM

Yep. Give me a replicator and a holodeck and I’m good. No need to ever come out.  LOL

Signature 

Free in Kentucky
—Humanist
“I am patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it.”—Edith Sitwell

Posted: 02 October 2012 06:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Total Posts:  451
Joined  2012-02-02

Texas law student bent on making 3D printed guns.

Cody Wilson, a law student at UT Austin, is on a mission “to disseminate a printable gun design online.”

Wilson spearheads the Wiki Weapon movement, which raised $20,000 and used it to lease a Stratasys 3D printer last month. He made no secret of the project’s aims, which are to create a 3D-printed pistol capable of getting off a single shot (the plastic ABS used in 3D printing would melt after that). Stratasys was not amused, and after some contentious correspondence, they sent repo men to strip Wilson of their printer, citing U.S. firearms laws.

Signature 

“There will come a time when it isn’t ‘They’re spying on me through my phone’ anymore. Eventually, it will be ‘My phone is spying on me’.” ― Philip K. Dick

The Atheist in the Trailer Park

Posted: 03 October 2012 07:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  207
Joined  2011-09-23

Read the article, people are overreacting.
At the moment it is much easier and much more dangerous for the public if someone builds a gun out of pipes bought at the home improvement store than print them at home.
I know that there are many plans for automatic weapons out there on p2p networks, which make it very easy to build these guns in your garage.
Also iam not that frightened about that prospect, if some gangsters arm themselves with machine guns i will print me a caliber .50 rifle, and i know i will not be the only one to do so.

Posted: 03 October 2012 11:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Total Posts:  782
Joined  2009-07-17

Why worry about printing guns? Isn’t pretty easy in many states to just walk into a store and buy one? Sheesh…  wink

Take care,

Derek

Signature 

“It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good—and less trouble.”—Mark Twain

Posted: 03 October 2012 01:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Total Posts:  7684
Joined  2008-04-11
Alexander80 - 03 October 2012 07:16 AM

Read the article, people are overreacting.
At the moment it is much easier and much more dangerous for the public if someone builds a gun out of pipes bought at the home improvement store than print them at home.
I know that there are many plans for automatic weapons out there on p2p networks, which make it very easy to build these guns in your garage.
Also iam not that frightened about that prospect, if some gangsters arm themselves with machine guns i will print me a caliber .50 rifle, and i know i will not be the only one to do so.

Alexander, the BIGGER problem with these guns is that they can be smuggled on board planes or in security areas as they will NO set off alarms. THAT is a PROBLEM.

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 04 October 2012 09:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Joined  2010-04-26
asanta - 03 October 2012 01:44 PM

Alexander, the BIGGER problem with these guns is that they can be smuggled on board planes or in security areas as they will NO set off alarms. THAT is a PROBLEM.

Well, yeah.  But you can do the same with ceramic knives and several other dangerous objects.  Also, the barrel is still metal.

Signature 

Posted: 04 October 2012 01:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Joined  2012-02-02
Dead Monky - 04 October 2012 09:18 AM

Well, yeah.  But you can do the same with ceramic knives and several other dangerous objects.  Also, the barrel is still metal.

Not in the latest effort.  Its an all plastic, single use weapon.

Signature 

“There will come a time when it isn’t ‘They’re spying on me through my phone’ anymore. Eventually, it will be ‘My phone is spying on me’.” ― Philip K. Dick

Posted: 05 October 2012 09:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Total Posts:  7684
Joined  2008-04-11
Dead Monky - 04 October 2012 09:18 AM

You have to get close up and personal to use a knife and most other weapons, except that bit of cyanide in the tip of your umbrella!

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 09 October 2012 08:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Joined  2010-04-26
Coldheart Tucker - 04 October 2012 01:43 PM

Not in the latest effort.  Its an all plastic, single use weapon.

Huh.  Well I’ll be.  Still not worried though.

asanta - 05 October 2012 09:12 PM

You have to get close up and personal to use a knife and most other weapons, except that bit of cyanide in the tip of your umbrella!

And?  It’s not that hard to get close enough to someone to stab them.  It’s not like everyone wanders around paranoid about sword strikes and knife blows anymore.

Signature 

Posted: 09 October 2012 09:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Joined  2012-02-02

I don’t know what a single .22 round would do if it were fired in the direction of the center fuel tank of a plane from the passenger cabin, but i do know that if you fired that round through the walls or ceiling of that plane at 30K feet, it would be very bad indeed.

Signature 

Posted: 11 October 2012 08:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Joined  2010-04-26
Coldheart Tucker - 09 October 2012 09:50 AM

I don’t know what a single .22 round would do if it were fired in the direction of the center fuel tank of a plane from the passenger cabin, but i do know that if you fired that round through the walls or ceiling of that plane at 30K feet, it would be very bad indeed.

Didn’t Mythbusters test that and find that bullet holes wouldn’t really do much?  In either case.

Signature 

Posted: 11 October 2012 08:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Joined  2012-02-02
Dead Monky - 11 October 2012 08:17 AM
Coldheart Tucker - 09 October 2012 09:50 AM

Didn’t Mythbusters test that and find that bullet holes wouldn’t really do much?  In either case.

I don’t know, but it was a small hole that rapidly grew larger that nearly brought down the Aloha flight.  Even if the hole was quickly plugged, the panic and chaos inside the passenger cabin would be unnerving, the subsequent media hyping of the event would be almost as bad.

Signature 

2 of 3