3 of 6
Here’s a quick way of working out if you are a “Feminist”
Posted: 04 August 2012 09:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  698
Joined  2007-10-14

`
None of what you said changes the fact that taste is subjective.

‘almost universal’ doesn’t = objectively true.

I’m sure you’re aware of the fact that what has been considered ‘attractive’ has varied quite a bit throughout the course of history.  Attractiveness and what informs it is a pretty complex issue.
`

Signature 

‘we are so fundamentally constituted of desire that we go on hearing music…...even though we know the band is gone and the stage is silent’

Posted: 04 August 2012 10:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29

Of course, things change all the time. I am the last person who would think that what the Bible, your Founding Fathers, or your constitution say are true for all the times. Five million years ago men were probably attracted to big swollen vaginas like the ones we see today in the chimps. So what?

Posted: 04 August 2012 10:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
Joined  2006-08-29

Sorry, not “your” Founding Fathers. You’re a Canadian, right?

Posted: 04 August 2012 02:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
Total Posts:  7684
Joined  2008-04-11
George - 04 August 2012 06:34 AM

Why are feminists usually so unattractive?

Like atheism, there are far, far more feminists than you know. Not every feminist is shouting from the rooftops, some are quietly working to make things better.

Why do men make attractiveness the bottom line for women, when men are never treated this way?

Attractiveness is subjective. If I lined up 100 women (or men), I have no doubt that you and I would have NO agreement on the 10 most attractive. And, what does your subjective assessment of attractiveness have to do with feminism? Nothing.

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 04 August 2012 05:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]
Total Posts:  2717
Joined  2011-04-24

I wonder about that also.

My two cents:

It’s probably the other way around,  that unattractive women and/or lesbians are likely to become hardcore feminists.

If a straight woman is very ugly, then she is out of luck in regards to sex, and by extension, men and children.  Some of the values of feminism will seem attractive, and necessary to her.  Lesbians don’t need to have anything to do with men, so their whole existence revolves around feminism in some form or another.

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 04 August 2012 05:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]
Total Posts:  7684
Joined  2008-04-11
mid atlantic - 04 August 2012 05:54 PM

My two cents:

It’s probably the other way around,  that unattractive women and/or lesbians are likely to become hardcore feminists.

If a straight woman is very ugly, then she is out of luck in regards to sex, and by extension, men and children.  Some of the values of feminism will seem attractive, and necessary to her.  Lesbians don’t need to have anything to do with men, so their whole existence revolves around feminism in some form or another.

No, more like you justdon’t notice the beautiful feminists, and carry around a stereotype in your mind. A doctor I once worked with 30 years ago asked me why there were so many ugly black women. After I picked my jaw up off the ground, I countered that there were just as many ugly white women(he was white), but he just didn’t ‘see’ them. He was unfortunate to disagree with me, and I spent the next year pointing out every homely white woman walking by until he cried ‘uncle’.
I counter that you look at the ‘other’ attributes of beautiful women and forget/overlook that they are also feminists.

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 04 August 2012 05:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]
Joined  2011-04-24
asanta - 04 August 2012 02:02 PM

Why do men make attractiveness the bottom line for women, when men are never treated this way?

Nature.

Signature 

Posted: 04 August 2012 06:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]
Joined  2011-04-24
asanta - 04 August 2012 05:58 PM

My two cents:

No, more like you justdon’t notice the beautiful feminists, and carry around a stereotype in your mind. A doctor I once worked with 30 years ago asked me why there were so many ugly black women. After I picked my jaw up off the ground, I countered that there were just as many ugly white women(he was white), but he just didn’t ‘see’ them. He was unfortunate to disagree with me, and I spent the next year pointing out every homely white woman walking by until he cried ‘uncle’.
I counter that you look at the ‘other’ attributes of beautiful women and forget/overlook that they are also feminists.

Not really, I didn’t say there are no attractive feminists, but the most extreme feminists are overwhelmingly physically unattractive to men; Andrea Dworkin and Susan Sontag are two examples that come to mind.  My thesis is that their radicalism is a result of that un - attractiveness and/or lesbianism.

Naomi Klein is an example of a good looking feminist, but she is not a radical feminist.

Signature 

Posted: 04 August 2012 06:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]
Joined  2011-04-24
Axegrrl - 04 August 2012 09:25 AM

`
None of what you said changes the fact that taste is subjective.

‘almost universal’ doesn’t = objectively true.

I’m sure you’re aware of the fact that what has been considered ‘attractive’ has varied quite a bit throughout the course of history.  Attractiveness and what informs it is a pretty complex issue.
`

It’s well established by biology that there are certain physical features that are considered attractive across the board.

Facial symmetry, and physical fitness are two examples.

Signature 

Posted: 04 August 2012 07:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 40 ]
Joined  2006-08-29

If I lined up 100 women (or men), I have no doubt that you and I would have NO agreement on the 10 most attractive.

Maybe. You could be a mutant with a weird taste. I, OTOH, have to able to understand what my client means by an attractive or “not too atractive” model when I hire one. If I didn’t know what makes people tick, or if there wasn’t some nearly universal preference in taste among the public, I couldn’t do my job.

Posted: 04 August 2012 08:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 41 ]
Total Posts:  7614
Joined  2007-03-02

My two cents:

Who defines attractive?  One person’s view of attractive is another person’s view of unattractive.

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 04 August 2012 08:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 42 ]
Total Posts:  7614
Joined  2007-03-02
George - 04 August 2012 07:45 PM

If I lined up 100 women (or men), I have no doubt that you and I would have NO agreement on the 10 most attractive.

Maybe. You could be a mutant with a weird taste. I, OTOH, have to able to understand what my client means by an attractive or “not too atractive” model when I hire one. If I didn’t know what makes people tick, or if there wasn’t some nearly universal preference in taste among the public, I couldn’t do my job.

The thing is, you don’t know what makes all people tick.

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 04 August 2012 11:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 43 ]
Total Posts:  6175
Joined  2009-02-26
George - 04 August 2012 07:45 PM

Perhaps it means that you understand your clients (a specific group). But what would your clients want in certain parts of Africa and Asia?
Personally I find it elegant. Like swans.

[ Edited: 05 August 2012 02:56 AM by Write4U ]
Image Attachments
neck stretching.jpg
 Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 05 August 2012 03:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 44 ]
Joined  2007-10-14

`
‘Radical’ anythings tend to be seen as ‘unattractive’ by many/most.

The Unabomber…..marc lepine (the Canadian loonie who murdered 12 female engineering students because he found them ‘threatening’)......Timothy McVeigh…........Valerie Solanas…...

which still leaves the question:  did they become ‘radical’ because they were unattractive, or vice versa?

`

Signature 

‘we are so fundamentally constituted of desire that we go on hearing music…...even though we know the band is gone and the stage is silent’

Posted: 05 August 2012 03:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 45 ]
Joined  2007-10-14

If a straight woman is very ugly, then she is out of luck in regards to sex.

`
LOL :)  the countless (and seemingly ever-present) johns ready and willing to boink ‘ugly’ prostitutes seem to prove you wrong, mid :)

The uncomfortable truth is that ugliness is a far bigger barrier for men when it comes to getting sex than it is for women.

Perhaps that’s part of what drives ugly men to make money so they can get beautiful women.

Who knows?

`

Signature 

3 of 6

‹‹ Olympics      The internet alive ››