6 of 6
Here’s a quick way of working out if you are a “Feminist”
Posted: 05 August 2012 07:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 76 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5976
Joined  2009-02-26

Yes MA, men and women do want different things from sex. Men will fornicate with anything that allows them entry. Women are built to select whom she will allow entry. That includes selecting for power, wealth, or looks, because they seek commitment and stability. Men have no such qualms. They will use any woman, as long as they need not commit to a relationship.

I believe the ratio of men to women in sexual predation is a persuasive argument.

[ Edited: 05 August 2012 07:10 PM by Write4U ]
 Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 06 August 2012 02:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 77 ]
Total Posts:  2591
Joined  2011-04-24
Write4U - 05 August 2012 07:04 PM

Yes MA, men and women do want different things from sex. Men will fornicate with anything that allows them entry. Women are built to select whom she will allow entry. That includes selecting for power, wealth, or looks, because they seek commitment and stability. Men have no such qualms. They will use any woman, as long as they need not commit to a relationship.

I believe the ratio of men to women in sexual predation is a persuasive argument.

YES!

Thanks for this clear and direct post.

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 06 August 2012 06:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 78 ]
Total Posts:  1191
Joined  2011-08-01

Very timely post. I am currently reading Jerry Coyne, Why Evolution is True and in particular the chapter on sex. I had no idea that this behavior (males=promiscuous; females=selective) is not only genetically programmed into us, but also applies to nearly every other species on Earth that reproduces sexually. The reason seems to be that males produce large numbers of gametes (sperm) at very little biological cost, while females produce far fewer gametes (eggs) at a much higher cost (not to mention the cost of actually bearing and raising the offspring). So each strategy makes perfect sense. For males, there is everything to gain and nothing to lose by “sowing” indiscriminately, while females must be highly selective to avoid costly mistakes.

Signature 

Free in Kentucky
—Humanist
“I am patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it.”—Edith Sitwell

Posted: 16 September 2012 08:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 79 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  27
Joined  2012-09-01
Mriana - 03 August 2012 12:12 PM
advocatus - 03 August 2012 09:08 AM

Is she saying Men can’t be feminists?  How sexist is that?

IMO, a feminist is anyone who stands up for the rights of women as human beings, women who participate in non-traditional sports, believes women should make the final decisions in their health care, not someone else, allows women to have the final say in what they do or do not do in life, and/or believes they should have control of their own bodies.  They do not need to be or do all these things, like participate in non-traditional sports, but the bottom line is that the person, who considers themselves a feminist, allow all women to make these decisions for themselves, not someone else forcing them to make traditional choices or be forced to have a man decide for them.  For example, I love dancing and skating, but said woman weightlifter (I forgot her name) probably does not, but because we believe in freedom of choice, we are feminists.  Like wise, a man who insists a woman has the right to make the final decisions about things that concern her life, her body, etc are feminists. Being a woman helps and is obviously a plus, but it is not a necessity to be a feminist and is not the end all or be all in the definition of a feminist.  However, being female makes one feminine, but some males can be effeminate or even have a feminine side to them.

According to this definition of a feminist, I happen to be both a feminist and a masculinist!

Héctor

Posted: 16 September 2012 10:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 80 ]
Total Posts:  5191
Joined  2010-06-16

I smile at the meandering path this thread has taken: The arguments about gender differences, what it means to have certain views, prejudices, etc.

It seems to me that the real question is, “Is one really a humanist?” and how broad is your definition of that philosophy?  If you differentiate in your general behavior between the genders to the detriment of either, then you aren’t really a full-fledged humanist, and possibly not a feminist (or not a masculinist).

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 16 September 2012 12:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 81 ]
RankRank
Joined  2012-09-01

Occam, not only do I fully agree with you, that was almost precisely what I was going to post next. Are you a mind reader?

Héctor

Posted: 16 September 2012 01:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 82 ]
Total Posts:  2799
Joined  2011-11-04
hpcaban - 16 September 2012 08:09 AM

IMO, a feminist is anyone who stands up for the rights of women as human beings, women who participate in non-traditional sports, believes women should make the final decisions in their health care, not someone else, allows women to have the final say in what they do or do not do in life, and/or believes they should have control of their own bodies.  They do not need to be or do all these things, like participate in non-traditional sports, but the bottom line is that the person, who considers themselves a feminist, allow all women to make these decisions for themselves, not someone else forcing them to make traditional choices or be forced to have a man decide for them.  For example, I love dancing and skating, but said woman weightlifter (I forgot her name) probably does not, but because we believe in freedom of choice, we are feminists.  Like wise, a man who insists a woman has the right to make the final decisions about things that concern her life, her body, etc are feminists. Being a woman helps and is obviously a plus, but it is not a necessity to be a feminist and is not the end all or be all in the definition of a feminist.  However, being female makes one feminine, but some males can be effeminate or even have a feminine side to them.

According to this definition of a feminist, I happen to be both a feminist and a masculinist!

Héctor

I think that we should all be feminists, masculinists, and ambiguous-genderists.  But males have been doing ok for some time, now.  So they don’t need much support.  Females still need help, as control over their bodies and reproductive rights remain under attack, and, amazingly, they still don’t get equal pay for equal work.  People of ambiguous-gender are just laughed at. So they may need the most support of all.

Signature 

“Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb… We are bound to others, past and present… And by each crime and every kindness… We birth our future.”  Sonmi, 2144.

Posted: 17 September 2012 12:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 83 ]
Total Posts:  5191
Joined  2010-06-16
hpcaban - 16 September 2012 12:59 PM

Occam, not only do I fully agree with you, that was almost precisely what I was going to post next. Are you a mind reader?

Héctor

Great minds. . . .  , Héctor.  LOL

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 17 September 2012 03:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 84 ]
Total Posts:  2591
Joined  2011-04-24
TimB - 16 September 2012 01:54 PM

Héctor

I think that we should all be feminists, masculinists, and ambiguous-genderists.  But males have been doing ok for some time, now.  So they don’t need much support.  Females still need help, as control over their bodies and reproductive rights remain under attack, and, amazingly, they still don’t get equal pay for equal work.  People of ambiguous-gender are just laughed at. So they may need the most support of all.

IDK, women are in a pretty good position, at least in my generation, and ambiguous gender people are on a whole other plain.

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 17 September 2012 07:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 85 ]
Joined  2011-11-04
mid atlantic - 17 September 2012 03:36 AM
TimB - 16 September 2012 01:54 PM

Héctor

IDK, women are in a pretty good position, at least in my generation, and ambiguous gender people are on a whole other plain.

More succinctly, I think that we should be supportive of humans, striving for equality of rights, regardless of their gender.

Signature 

“Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb… We are bound to others, past and present… And by each crime and every kindness… We birth our future.”  Sonmi, 2144.

Posted: 17 September 2012 01:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 86 ]
RankRank
Joined  2012-09-01
Occam. - 17 September 2012 12:04 AM

Héctor

Occam

Aw…sucks!

Héctor

Posted: 17 September 2012 04:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 87 ]
Joined  2011-11-04
hpcaban - 17 September 2012 01:15 PM

Héctor

Occam

Aw…sucks!

Héctor

Hector, surely you meant:

Aw…shucks!

Signature 

Posted: 17 September 2012 04:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 88 ]
RankRank
Joined  2012-09-01
TimB - 17 September 2012 04:03 PM
hpcaban - 17 September 2012 01:15 PM

Héctor

Occam

Aw…sucks!

Héctor

Hector, surely you meant:

Aw…shucks!

Boy! I don’t think I make too many mistakes but when I do… it’s a Lulu! I hadn’t laughed that hard in a long time!

Posted: 28 March 2013 12:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 89 ]
Total Posts:  3799
Joined  2010-08-15

Speaking of feminism - I’ve virtually met a neat old gal who’s put together an excellent website HotWhopper.com [ http://blog.hotwhopper.com/search?q=WUWT ].
The most of it deals with looking at some of the stupidity climate science deniers like Anthony WUWT have been putting out there.
Highly recommended if you are interested in a step by step deconstruction of misleading stories.

But, it turns out she’s got a thing or two to say about this topic too.
And since she’s got one of those websites that has impressed me I want to share:

Men’s Playground
http://blog.hotwhopper.com/p/the-mens-playground.html

Women are not welcome on HotCopper (unless they know their ‘place’)

Until recently, the last time I was seriously and blatantly discriminated against because of my sex (that I know of) was the year before Equal Opportunity Legislation was introduced in NSW way back in the mid-1970s. 

and then there are the cartoon’s by Gabby.

Gabby’s Cartoon
http://blog.hotwhopper.com/p/sexism.html

Cartoons I can’t show here…
But, so want to share wink
since as “Anonymous” commented: ”(It’s) Scaaaaary Stuff !!”

Signature 

How many times do lies need to be exposed
before we have permission to trash them?

6 of 6

‹‹ Olympics      The internet alive ››