1 of 3
The internet alive
Posted: 03 August 2012 02:33 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  207
Joined  2011-09-23

Could it be that the “Internet” has become some sort of sentient being with us as its interconnected “Neurons” , sensory apparatus and limbs?
Does it organizes in ways biological organisms do,  collecting information, learning, growing, adapting?

Stupid Idea, or possible?

Posted: 03 August 2012 08:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  9292
Joined  2006-08-29

I have heard that before (I think it was from Sam Harris), but I don’t know what to think of it. If the internet is becoming sentient because it absorbs information, you may as well speculate if a mirror can see becuase it absorbs light. There is more to vision than adsorbing light just like there is more to consciesness than learning.

Posted: 03 August 2012 09:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  6001
Joined  2009-02-26

Perhaps the term pseudo-sentient may be appropriate. It may well become as intelligent as humans with far greater knowledge, but IMO, so far there has been no instance of unprogrammed spontaneous action, i.e. “will”.

Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 03 August 2012 11:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  2634
Joined  2011-04-24
Alexander80 - 03 August 2012 02:33 PM

Could it be that the “Internet” has become some sort of sentient being with us as its interconnected “Neurons” , sensory apparatus and limbs?
Does it organizes in ways biological organisms do,  collecting information, learning, growing, adapting?

Stupid Idea, or possible?

I don’t know if it’s possible, but it’s terrifying.

That is basically what happened in the movie “Terminator’

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 04 August 2012 01:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  5502
Joined  2010-06-16

I won’t worry until the Internet starts trying to have sex with other computer networks.  LOL

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 04 August 2012 01:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Total Posts:  4001
Joined  2010-08-15
Occam. - 04 August 2012 01:19 PM

I won’t worry until the Internet starts trying to have sex with other computer networks.  LOL

Occam

Isn’t that where those iPad thingies comes from?

Signature 

How many times do lies need to be exposed
before we have permission to trash them?

Posted: 04 August 2012 03:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Joined  2009-02-26

I’ll start worrying when a computer starts building a specialized computer to do what it cannot do.

Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 04 August 2012 03:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Total Posts:  3061
Joined  2011-08-15

I won’t worry until the Internet starts trying to have sex with other computer networks. 

Occam

Does it have to read PC Magazine to stimulate it’s software before coitus? wink

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 07 August 2012 09:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  37
Joined  2012-07-13

No.  The internet is not and will never become sentient.  It is piles of data with paths leading from one pile to other piles.  You’re talking science fiction with 99% of the emphasis on the fiction part.

The internet doesn’t have senses, so I don’t think it can have sentience.

[ Edited: 07 August 2012 09:17 AM by 3point14rat ]
 Signature 

It is morally as bad not to care whether a thing is true or not, so long as it makes you feel good, as it is not to care how you got your money as long as you have got it.  Edmund Way Teale, Circle of the Seasons

Posted: 07 August 2012 09:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Total Posts:  1191
Joined  2011-08-01

On the day the Internet wakes up and says its first words, Al Gore will go running through the streets yelling, “IT’S ALIVE!!! IT’S ALIVE!!!”

cheese

Signature 

Free in Kentucky
—Humanist
“I am patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it.”—Edith Sitwell

Posted: 07 August 2012 02:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Total Posts:  2377
Joined  2007-07-05

Wake by Robert J. Sawyer.

http://www.singularityweblog.com/the-www-trilogy-wake-watch-and-wonder-book-review/

psik

Signature 

Fiziks is Fundamental

Posted: 07 August 2012 02:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Joined  2009-02-26
3point14rat - 07 August 2012 09:11 AM

No.  The internet is not and will never become sentient.  It is piles of data with paths leading from one pile to other piles.  You’re talking science fiction with 99% of the emphasis on the fiction part.

Me thinks that is hasty and premature.

We can’t even define sentience, let alone exclude something from the possibility of ever becoming sentient.
If we compare a computer to a human brain, there is not a lot of difference in function.
a computer processes information, just like us.
a computer senses all kinds of things, some things better than us.
a computer analyzes and determines solutions.

Granted, all this is still rudimentary at this stage, but AI is a very active field of research and I can certainly imagine ‘autonomous” computers which can act independent of human direction.

What is the difference between sentient and autonomous?

[ Edited: 07 August 2012 03:05 PM by Write4U ]
 Signature 

W4U

Posted: 07 August 2012 04:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Total Posts:  3061
Joined  2011-08-15

How about, autonomous is acting on your own while sentient is knowing that you are?

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 07 August 2012 04:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Total Posts:  1191
Joined  2011-08-01

I think this is important. It’s hard to imagine and form of consciousness apart from sensory input.

Signature 

Free in Kentucky
—Humanist
“I am patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it.”—Edith Sitwell

Posted: 07 August 2012 04:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Joined  2009-02-26
FreeInKy - 07 August 2012 04:32 PM

I think this is important. It’s hard to imagine and form of consciousness apart from sensory input.

But the internet has a constant stream of sensory input from all kinds of souces. The problem so far is that these collectors are not interfaced with each other. Computers look, listen, smell, hear, sense, (and dare I say at much more detail than humans). Our sensory organs are but of average quality compared to other organisms.

IMO, the one major difference between human thought and computer thought is filtering pertinent data and converting it to symbolic messages which the computer can use for selfpreservation and advancement.

[ Edited: 07 August 2012 04:58 PM by Write4U ]
 Signature 

W4U

Posted: 07 August 2012 04:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Joined  2009-02-26
Thevillageatheist - 07 August 2012 04:05 PM

How about, autonomous is acting on your own while sentient is knowing that you are?
Cap’t Jack

And what is it you are that a computer cannot be taught to know about itself? What is the difference between saying “I am a man, not an animal” and “I am a computer, not a man”.

It is true that a computer will never identify itself as a human, but what difference does that really make? What about every other living thing on earth, are they all sentient and in what way is that different than a sentient computer?

IMO, the problem lies in that we always try to make a computer to act like a human. Why is that?

[ Edited: 07 August 2012 05:02 PM by Write4U ]
 Signature 

W4U

1 of 3