3 of 3
The internet alive
Posted: 08 August 2012 11:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4538
Joined  2007-08-31

Just to say it again: I am not saying the internet is conscious, I am only saying that in this thread I have not seen a valid argument against it yet, except maybe that the brain has still much more connections than the internet (but I don’t even know if this is true…). It might be that the formal structure of the internet is not advanced enough, but I do not know if it is principally impossible e.g. to build a Turing Machine based on TCP/IP structures (on which most of the internet is based). Maybe some Geeky Mathematician can try to prove one or the other…

You also overestimate our possibilities to recognise if the internet has become conscious. It might be possible without us ever noticing it. Neurons also don’t recognise that they are part of system that makes up consciousness. Read e.g. Hofstadter’s ‘Ant Fugue’, a sparkling dialogue about the intelligence of an Ant colony. (Mathematical Formula’s and drawings are wrong or missing, but that is not very important).

If you ask me directly: no, I do not think the internet as a whole is conscious, but I am close to saying that both sides are speculative.

An Write4U: musing is OK, speculations too. But if you know beforehand that the argumentations are wrong, you should take that into account. In this way you get ‘high quality speculations’. wink

PS A big but complete pdf of the ‘Ant fugue’ is here. Enjoy it!

Signature 

GdB

“The light is on, but there is nobody at home”

Posted: 09 August 2012 12:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6091
Joined  2009-02-26

Just downloaded it, thanks GdB.

Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

3 of 3