A wavelike reality?
Posted: 04 August 2012 03:18 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6162
Joined  2009-02-26

We see things as solids because of our limits of observation. In reality, everything physical exists in a wave like state. Until we “collect” a particle from a fixed point, they exist in a wavelike form and function in a wavelike manner. 
We only need a frame speed of 24fps to produce the illusion of continuity of motion.
Wiki,

When sound film was first introduced in 1926, variations in film speed were no longer tolerated as the human ear was more sensitive to changes in audio frequency. From 1927 to 1930, the rate of 24 FPS became standardized for 35 mm sound film;[1] a speed of 456 millimetres (18.0 in) per second. This allowed for simple two-blade shutters to give a projected series of images at 48 per second. Many modern 35 mm film projectors use three-blade shutters to give 72 images per second—each frame flashed on screen three times.[2]

But here comes,

Ramesh Raskar presents femto-photography, a new type of imaging so fast it visualizes the world one trillion frames per second, so detailed it shows light itself in motion. This technology may someday be used to build cameras that can look “around” corners or see inside the body without X-rays.

http://www.ted.com/talks/ramesh_raskar_a_camera_that_takes_one_trillion_frames_per_second.html?utm_source=newsletter_weekly_2012-08-02&utm_campaign=newsletter_weekly&utm_medium=email

Seems to me this is similar to an electron microscope, but of moving objects.

[ Edited: 04 August 2012 04:50 AM by Write4U ]
 Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 04 August 2012 04:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  2229
Joined  2007-04-26

As someone who has spent quite a bit of time doing high speed photography I have a special interest in this and found the video very interesting. Thanks for sharing it. TED certainly does present some great research, although the real world applications that are predicted are a long ways off assuming they ever become practical at all.

I’m not sure what you mean though by the comment that everything exists in a wave like state? This story doesn’t address anything along those lines.

Signature 

For every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, obvious,.... and just plain wrong

Posted: 04 August 2012 03:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  6162
Joined  2009-02-26
macgyver - 04 August 2012 04:56 AM

As someone who has spent quite a bit of time doing high speed photography I have a special interest in this and found the video very interesting. Thanks for sharing it. TED certainly does present some great research, although the real world applications that are predicted are a long ways off assuming they ever become practical at all.

I’m not sure what you mean though by the comment that everything exists in a wave like state? This story doesn’t address anything along those lines.

Lol, that was the first thought that came to mind. If we could magnify an atom and then capture it in slow motion we would be able to see the actual spinning motion of the elctrons (as we saw the photon packet travel at slow speed in the demo).
Or using this technology at CERN and really see what happens during particle collisions.

I have always wondered, if we could capture events at SOL what reality would look like. We know nothing is really solid, but appears that way due our registry limitations, i.e. the appearance of solidness is illusionary. If we could line up our atoms just right, we’d be able to walk through a wall.

[ Edited: 05 August 2012 03:02 AM by Write4U ]
 Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U