US Olympic Team Racist?
Posted: 05 August 2012 10:15 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  756
Joined  2012-04-25

I hate racism of ANY kind. And I hate hypocrisy almost as much.  Now whenever I hear someone claiming X is racist in US society, for example the prison system, they usually make the statement “the % of blacks in the US is about 20% (or whatever), so we should expect the prison population to reflect that. Because it doesn’t (black% much much higher) that’s evidence that the prison system (and law enforcement) is racially biased.”  That’s the rough argument and rough %‘s. 

Ok, so using that same argument, since the US Olympic team is definitely NOT 80% white, isn’t that evidence of discrimination? And in some events even, say Track, the % of whites in the finals is almost 0%.  Should there be some type of Affirmative Action for Whites in US Olympics?

No I’m not some nutjob neo-nazi. I hate’m, disagree with’em, want them all to go to you know where. BUT I can see some of them making this exact type of argument.

SO how would you respond?

Posted: 05 August 2012 11:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29

You may not know it, but evolution stops at the neck; the brain is “plastic” (the secular version of a soul) and does as it pleases. The African Americans have obviously evolved to have more athletic bodies than the whites, but they obviously haven’t evolved their brains to behave more violently than those of the whites. So it must be the cops’ fault.

Posted: 05 August 2012 11:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  2188
Joined  2007-04-26

You’re right. There is a level of hypocrisy involved here but also some truth. As you have clearly pointed out, statistical analysis like this can only show an correlation but says nothing about causation. People the read into it the causation that fits their world view.

The percentage of minorities in prison probably results from a more complex set of factors then the percent in the Olympics, ie. cops probably do target minorities more but minorities are disproportionately poor and from single parent homes and bad neighborhoods which all increase the likelihood they will be involved in a crime.

It’s interesting though that the Olympic numbers are not as simple as they seem either though. Blacks dominate track but are only occassionally in the pool, the tennis court, the hockey rink, or the gymnastics events

Signature 

For every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, obvious,.... and just plain wrong

Posted: 05 August 2012 12:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Joined  2012-04-25
George - 05 August 2012 11:08 AM

You may not know it, but evolution stops at the neck; the brain is “plastic” (the secular version of a soul) and does as it pleases. The African Americans have obviously evolved to have more athletic bodies than the whites, but they obviously haven’t evolved their brains to behave more violently than those of the whites. So it must be the cops’ fault.

Huh?

Posted: 05 August 2012 01:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Joined  2006-08-29

You have to decipher it. The key word is “sarcasm.”

Posted: 06 August 2012 10:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Joined  2012-04-25
George - 05 August 2012 01:48 PM

You have to decipher it. The key word is “sarcasm.”

Yes, I did realize you were being sarcastic. I stand by my “huh?” .

Posted: 06 August 2012 04:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Total Posts:  1764
Joined  2007-10-22
CuthbertJ - 05 August 2012 10:15 AM

I hate racism of ANY kind. And I hate hypocrisy almost as much.  Now whenever I hear someone claiming X is racist in US society, for example the prison system, they usually make the statement “the % of blacks in the US is about 20% (or whatever), so we should expect the prison population to reflect that. Because it doesn’t (black% much much higher) that’s evidence that the prison system (and law enforcement) is racially biased.”  That’s the rough argument and rough %‘s. 

Ok, so using that same argument, since the US Olympic team is definitely NOT 80% white, isn’t that evidence of discrimination? And in some events even, say Track, the % of whites in the finals is almost 0%.  Should there be some type of Affirmative Action for Whites in US Olympics?

No I’m not some nutjob neo-nazi. I hate’m, disagree with’em, want them all to go to you know where. BUT I can see some of them making this exact type of argument.

SO how would you respond?

Signature 

Gary the Human

All the Gods and all religions are created by humans, to meet human needs and accomplish human ends.

Posted: 07 August 2012 10:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  37
Joined  2012-07-13

Discrimination is bad for everyone.  Reverse discrimination is a form of discrimination.

If the fastest runners on earth are black skinned, who cares?  The point of a race is to see who’s fastest.  I can’t see the point of putting a slow person into the race.

If people commit certain crimes, they go to prison.  For justice to work, it has to be blind.  I can’t see the point of incarcerating or releasing people due to the colour of their skin, that’s even mores stupid than injecting slow runners into races.

Signature 

It is morally as bad not to care whether a thing is true or not, so long as it makes you feel good, as it is not to care how you got your money as long as you have got it.  Edmund Way Teale, Circle of the Seasons

Posted: 07 August 2012 11:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Total Posts:  1191
Joined  2011-08-01
3point14rat - 07 August 2012 10:13 AM

If people commit certain crimes, they go to prison.  For justice to work, it has to be blind.  I can’t see the point of incarcerating or releasing people due to the colour of their skin, that’s even mores stupid than injecting slow runners into races.

The key phrase here is “blind justice” as you point out. The problem is, justice can never be truly blind because it is administered by flawed humans. Therefore, we have to be constantly vigilant to prejudices in the system. This is why people get concerned with statistics that show an unusually high percentage of minority groups in prison and on death row. Those who point out that correlation is not the same as causation are completely correct, but they miss the point. If there is even a chance that justice is not being administered fairly (and I believe there is evidence to support that contention is many cases) then it is cause for serious concern.

Signature 

Free in Kentucky
—Humanist
“I am patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it.”—Edith Sitwell

Posted: 07 August 2012 11:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Joined  2006-08-29

And who is doing the injustice in countries like Jamaica, for example, where everybody is black and which has one of the highest levels of crime and violence in the world?

[ Edited: 07 August 2012 11:43 AM by George ]

Posted: 07 August 2012 11:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  37
Joined  2012-07-13

High crime rates are partly due to the injustice in society.  More minorities are in the have-not class, which is a breeding ground for criminal behavior. 

So fix society, not the justice system that is just responding as it should to the cases it sees.

Any ‘fix’ would be far worse than the present situation.

Signature 

It is morally as bad not to care whether a thing is true or not, so long as it makes you feel good, as it is not to care how you got your money as long as you have got it.  Edmund Way Teale, Circle of the Seasons