12 of 14
Heard any good jokes lately?
Posted: 27 August 2013 02:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 166 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  715
Joined  2012-04-25

What’s worse than finding a worm in your apple?

The Holocaust

Posted: 27 August 2013 06:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 167 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

There seems to be a fair amount of text missing between the first line and the second one at the bottom of the post.  Could you add that?

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 27 August 2013 07:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 168 ]
Total Posts:  4751
Joined  2007-10-05
Occam. - 27 August 2013 06:11 PM

There seems to be a fair amount of text missing between the first line and the second one at the bottom of the post.  Could you add that?

Occam

Maybe that’s where the humor was supposed to go

Signature 

“In the beginning, God created the universe. This has made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.”
Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Posted: 27 August 2013 08:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 169 ]
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29
CuthbertJ - 27 August 2013 02:26 PM

The Holocaust

LOL

Posted: 28 August 2013 09:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 170 ]
Joined  2012-04-25

Occam

I guess it doesn’t come off as good online.  The blank lines are so that you don’t instantly read the answer with the question all at once, which most readers do (i.e. can’t help reading ahead a little).  And in case DarronS really didn’t get the humor, when you read/hear the cutesy question you’re expecting some kind of cutesy answer, like “a snake in your orange”.  Then you hear about the most unfunny uncutesy thing imaginable, which IS in fact worse, and you laugh (at least everyone I’ve ever told it to almost wet their pants).

Posted: 28 August 2013 05:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 171 ]
Total Posts:  1757
Joined  2007-10-22

jokes about German sausage are wurst.

Signature 

Gary the Human

All the Gods and all religions are created by humans, to meet human needs and accomplish human ends.

Posted: 28 August 2013 05:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 172 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

I’m guessing that Cuthbert’s native language isn’t English and that the humor in his country is significantly different from that of the U.S.

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 28 August 2013 07:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 173 ]
Total Posts:  776
Joined  2009-07-17

Half a worm.

Take care,

Derek

Signature 

“It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good—and less trouble.”—Mark Twain

Posted: 28 August 2013 07:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 174 ]
Total Posts:  4751
Joined  2007-10-05
harry canyon - 28 August 2013 07:57 PM

Half a worm.

Take care,

Derek

Now that’s funny!

Signature 

“In the beginning, God created the universe. This has made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.”
Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Posted: 29 August 2013 10:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 175 ]
Joined  2012-04-25
Occam. - 28 August 2013 05:17 PM

I’m guessing that Cuthbert’s native language isn’t English and that the humor in his country is significantly different from that of the U.S.

Occam

Wrong. I’m guessing you’re more of a Henny Youngman fan.

Posted: 29 August 2013 10:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 176 ]
Total Posts:  3102
Joined  2011-08-15

“I once wanted to become an atheist, but I gave up-they have no Holidays”

Henny Youngman

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 29 August 2013 10:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 177 ]
Total Posts:  514
Joined  2010-11-21
CuthbertJ - 28 August 2013 09:41 AM

Occam

I guess it doesn’t come off as good online.  The blank lines are so that you don’t instantly read the answer with the question all at once, which most readers do (i.e. can’t help reading ahead a little).  And in case DarronS really didn’t get the humor, when you read/hear the cutesy question you’re expecting some kind of cutesy answer, like “a snake in your orange”.  Then you hear about the most unfunny uncutesy thing imaginable, which IS in fact worse, and you laugh (at least everyone I’ve ever told it to almost wet their pants).

I didn’t get this either. I’m not sure even how this it could be funny under what you said but recognize that it depends on where one comes from. I never even found the “chicken-crossing-the-road” joke funny at any time either contrary to what I assume was many others did in their youth.

Here’s an old one my uncle told me:

A string walks into a bar and asks for a drink.
The bartender says, “sorry, we don’t serve strings here.”
So the string tries another bar.
Again, he receives a similar response.
After many failed attempts, he decides that the prejudice is just to much and so figured that if he could just create a disguise,
he could be able to be accepted and get his drink. So he ties himself into a not and frays his ends and then tries again.
As he sat down in the next bar in disguise, the bartender tries to find clarity and says,
  “I bet that you are a string and you are trying to convince me that I should give you a beer?”
His response?
  “Frayed Knot!”

Signature 

I eat without fear of certain Death from The Tree of Knowledge because with wisdom, we may one day break free from its mortal curse.

Posted: 29 August 2013 11:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 178 ]
Total Posts:  1757
Joined  2007-10-22
Thevillageatheist - 29 August 2013 10:07 AM

“I once wanted to become an atheist, but I gave up-they have no Holidays”

Henny Youngman

That is actually a problem.  As a Catholic friend once told me.  “Never give up a reason for a party.”

Signature 

Gary the Human

All the Gods and all religions are created by humans, to meet human needs and accomplish human ends.

Posted: 29 August 2013 02:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 179 ]
Joined  2012-04-25
Scott Mayers - 29 August 2013 10:30 AM
CuthbertJ - 28 August 2013 09:41 AM

Occam

I didn’t get this either. I’m not sure even how this it could be funny under what you said but recognize that it depends on where one comes from. I never even found the “chicken-crossing-the-road” joke funny at any time either contrary to what I assume was many others did in their youth.

Here’s an old one my uncle told me:

A string walks into a bar and asks for a drink.
The bartender says, “sorry, we don’t serve strings here.”
So the string tries another bar.
Again, he receives a similar response.
After many failed attempts, he decides that the prejudice is just to much and so figured that if he could just create a disguise,
he could be able to be accepted and get his drink. So he ties himself into a not and frays his ends and then tries again.
As he sat down in the next bar in disguise, the bartender tries to find clarity and says,
  “I bet that you are a string and you are trying to convince me that I should give you a beer?”
His response?
  “Frayed Knot!”

Interesting…you have all these posts on CFI that purport to be the next big thing in theoretical physics, and yet you find simplistic play-on-words jokes funny.  Not saying that’s bad or good, just interesting.

Posted: 29 August 2013 02:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 180 ]
Total Posts:  514
Joined  2010-11-21

It was a joke I was told when I was something like 14. But I think most jokes are usually either direct or indirect plays on words in some way. I like any kind of humor. Ever watch Just For Laughs: Gags? As a production made in Quebec, they wanted to create a gag show that didn’t require having to speak French in order to appeal to a larger Canadian audience. And now, I think (but am not sure), that an American investment brought the show to there as well using the same format. So I guess this would be using a play on perceptual expectations and illusion.

Edit: their to there.

Signature 

I eat without fear of certain Death from The Tree of Knowledge because with wisdom, we may one day break free from its mortal curse.

12 of 14