3 of 14
Heard any good jokes lately?
Posted: 14 August 2012 07:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5176
Joined  2010-06-16

Really, M-A, you don’t get it?  If someone insults me I get annoyed.  If I tell a funny story about something I did that was dumb, and people laugh, I’ve shown that I’m down-to-earth and willing to joke about myself.  People will respect me fot that, so it’s a positive.  Does that make sense?

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 14 August 2012 07:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
Total Posts:  2588
Joined  2011-04-24

I think you’re being disingenuous. 

It’s not about self-depreciation; it’s about actually finding the racist joke funny, but being afraid to admit it.

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 15 August 2012 04:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
Total Posts:  1191
Joined  2011-08-01

I didn’t say it wasn’t funny. It definitely brought a smile. I’m just not sure how comfortable I would be telling it or hearing it told by a white person amongst people of color. Occam hit the nail on the head. It’s one thing to hear people make jokes at their own expense. It’s quite another to hear humor directed from outside at a group that has been oppressed in the past.

Our culture is changing faster than we old farts are.  cheese

Signature 

Free in Kentucky
—Humanist
“I am patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it.”—Edith Sitwell

Posted: 15 August 2012 05:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
Total Posts:  9283
Joined  2006-08-29

I don’t get the joke. What did the guy mean when he wanted to be “hung like a black man?”

Posted: 15 August 2012 05:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]
Joined  2011-04-24
George - 15 August 2012 05:03 AM

I don’t get the joke. What did the guy mean when he wanted to be “hung like a black man?”

The stereotype that black men have gigantic penises.

Signature 

Posted: 15 August 2012 05:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]
Joined  2011-04-24
FreeInKy - 15 August 2012 04:41 AM

I didn’t say it wasn’t funny. It definitely brought a smile. I’m just not sure how comfortable I would be telling it or hearing it told by a white person amongst people of color. Occam hit the nail on the head. It’s one thing to hear people make jokes at their own expense. It’s quite another to hear humor directed from outside at a group that has been oppressed in the past.

Our culture is changing faster than we old farts are.  cheese

IOW, you don’t want to be accused of racism.

Signature 

Posted: 15 August 2012 10:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]
Total Posts:  4142
Joined  2008-08-14

I thought every joke on here was a good one.  I like all kinds of jokes.  I too have exchanged racist jokes with people of other races.  I love it when people of other races make jokes about my race too.
The funniness from any joke is the construction, and the punchline.  It’s the craft behind it.  Lot’s of jokes use race, or sex, or stereotypes to deliver that “hook”.  Without that little moment of tension the joke would have no hook and wouldn’t work.
The preacher joke from Jericon is a good example.  We see a farmer complaining to a preacher.  The tension there is that the farmer is breaching a stereotypical idea of societal status.  The farmer gets sassy with the preacher. The preacher’s ego gets hurt.  Not funny at all until the jokes construction is used and the “story” is told.
I thought that preacher joke was really funny too.
That being said I have seen lot’s of gratuitous jokes about race that aren’t funny at all.  I’ve seen people use these jokes to simply put forth racist ideas of demeaning quality.  I guess some people find these jokes funny too though.

Signature 

Row row row your boat gently down the stream.  Merrily Merrily merrily merrily life is but a dream!

Posted: 15 August 2012 11:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]
Joined  2011-08-01

The Past, the Present, and The Future walk into a bar. It was tense.

Signature 

Free in Kentucky
—Humanist
“I am patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it.”—Edith Sitwell

Posted: 15 August 2012 12:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]
Joined  2011-08-01

A man walks into a bar. A second man walks into the bar. The third man ducks.

Signature 

Free in Kentucky
—Humanist

Posted: 15 August 2012 01:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 40 ]
Total Posts:  2885
Joined  2011-08-15

Personally, I like jokes that poke fun of stupid stereotypes by using double entendre and irony. You don’t have to be a rocket scientist to know if the joke was meant to be demeaning or sarcastic. In this case it was ironic and reminded the listener that this actually happened. I’d call it a groaner at worst. Oh, BTW did you hear the one about the cannibal who passed his mother-in-law in the jungle?

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 15 August 2012 01:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 41 ]
Joined  2006-08-29
Thevillageatheist - 15 August 2012 01:31 PM

Oh, BTW did you hear the one about the cannibal who passed his mother-in-law in the jungle?

Was he black?

Posted: 15 August 2012 01:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 42 ]
Total Posts:  2885
Joined  2011-08-15

Oh, BTW did you hear the one about the cannibal who passed his mother-in-law in the jungle?

Was he black?

Well, did you ever hear of a “white” cannibal? I mean there are no white cannibals right? Oh, the Donner party, uh the Essex crew, the ruggers in the alps, I don’t know, maybe. Dammit George, you’re spoiling my joke with your racist innuendos!

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 15 August 2012 04:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 43 ]
Total Posts:  5176
Joined  2010-06-16
mid atlantic - 14 August 2012 07:50 PM

I think you’re being disingenuous. 

It’s not about self-depreciation; it’s about actually finding the racist joke funny, but being afraid to admit it.

“disingenuous” = lying.  And I don’t give a s__t if you think I’m lying because anyone who would think that is stupid.  There.  Now that we’ve gotten the balanced nastiness out of the way, you’re wrong.  I meant precisely what I said.

Jokes that are based on a particular group can 1) Br designed to put down that group; 2) Be humorous but dependent on stereotypes of the group; 3) Have a strong humorous components independent of the group.  Over the years I’ve enjoyed working on the type 2 & 3 to maintain the humor but to either change it so the tables are turned or so that it’s independent of any group.

Group 1 jokes are obnoxious, not worth repeating, and when I hear one, I enjoy telling the one who told it that s/he’s a stupid bigot right then so all the group hears my comment.  It may not change his/her opinions, but it sure keeps him/her from telling more of those dumb jokes around me. 

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 15 August 2012 05:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 44 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  37
Joined  2012-07-13

Cap’t Jack

Awesomely brilliant.  I have no idea what makes something funny, but I know what’s funny, and that is.

Signature 

It is morally as bad not to care whether a thing is true or not, so long as it makes you feel good, as it is not to care how you got your money as long as you have got it.  Edmund Way Teale, Circle of the Seasons

Posted: 16 August 2012 08:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 45 ]
Joined  2006-08-29

Cindy-Pugh-garbage-bags-photo-300x198.jpg

“I told her she had three beautiful children. She didn’t have to get all pissed off. It was an honest mistake…really.”

3 of 14