All the things which can be blown up for the greater good
Posted: 08 August 2012 01:52 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  207
Joined  2011-09-23

Lets say the Iranian government, or those nutjobs who pose as it, decide to blow up israel with a few nukes, would it be okay to throw a nuke at Teheran for retaliation?
And what if Kim#3 decides to incinerate Seoul, should cities in the north bee attacked?

Is it okay to let innocents civilians, of which many dont support the regime, pay for an out of its mind government, or should only military targets be attacked?
But arent the people also responsible for their rulers, havent they had a lot time to get rid of them?
And if you dont show that you are willing to use force the same way someone uses force against you, dont you give away all the “arguments” in such a fight?

Frightening thoughts, but iam interessted in the answers.

Posted: 08 August 2012 04:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  789
Joined  2012-04-25

I recommend you read the book “Overthrow” by Stephen Kinzer, and follow that with “Shock Doctrine” by Naomi Klein.  Those will cure you of you’re apparent notion that only governments like North Korea and Iran are nutjobs.  And if you’ve been paying any attention to the last several elections in the US, you’d realize “the people” have very little to do with who’s president.  But to answer your main question, no it’s never ok to kill innocent people. And it’s not that great to kill the bad people either. Simple as that.

Posted: 08 August 2012 05:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Joined  2011-09-23

Dont need a cure from that, i know it happens all the time, but for the example i used a very simple scenario.
I also didnt use the word bad… but lets hear the opinion of the other users.

Posted: 08 August 2012 07:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  2699
Joined  2011-04-24

Do you mean “us” - as in the western world retaliating? No, I don’t think it would be right.

I think that if our ICBM defense systems are still operational, we would try to knock out the nukes before they hit their targets, and if that failed we would just have to watch in horror -  those cities being destroyed.

It’s doubtful that we would retaliate with nukes, if we weren’t nuked first IMO.

However, a worldwide nuclear exchange would kill so many innocent people that ethics would simply cease to exist.

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 08 August 2012 08:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  4848
Joined  2007-10-05

What ICBM defense system? Do you mean Ronnie Raygun’s Star Wars defense system? The one that cannot hit a target even though the trajectory is programmed into the system before launch?

Signature 

You cannot have a rational conversation with someone who holds irrational beliefs.

Posted: 09 August 2012 01:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Joined  2011-04-24
DarronS - 08 August 2012 08:27 PM

What ICBM defense system? Do you mean Ronnie Raygun’s Star Wars defense system? The one that cannot hit a target even though the trajectory is programmed into the system before launch?

There are others in place;  I only hope they’re dependable.

If not, scratch everything I posted earlier.

Signature 

Posted: 09 August 2012 06:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Total Posts:  3208
Joined  2011-08-15

DarronS - 08 August 2012 08:27 PM

There are others in place;  I only hope they’re dependable.

If not, scratch everything I posted earlier

Besides the ground defense missles,  the US military has been working on laser systems since the 60’s that could (notice the word could) knock out a hostile nuclear missle from space. The bad news is that so far their accuracy rate is about 13%. THe major problem with this SDI is that an enemy could lanch hundreds of dummies to throw the defense system off track. The best method to prevent missles from being fired at us is to continue to negotiate treaties on fair terms to both sides, or destroy nuclear bases before launch. It looks like this issue is heating up with Romney’s tough talk about Russia. He’s painting them as a potential threat which could excalate into posturing by the Russians. So, here we go again. I lived through this shit once and I don’t want to see it flair up again.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 09 August 2012 01:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Joined  2011-09-23

Hm Iam a “little” frightened to see a Moro… eh… Mormon become President.

Posted: 09 August 2012 01:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Total Posts:  3208
Joined  2011-08-15

Be afraid, be very afraid on this issue. Romney’ s platform includes using tactical nukes against Iran if necessary. it may be Pre-election posturing, but it is a plank in his platform.

Cap’t jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 09 August 2012 07:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Joined  2011-04-24
Thevillageatheist - 09 August 2012 06:00 AM

It looks like this issue is heating up with Romney’s tough talk about Russia. He’s painting them as a potential threat which could excalate into posturing by the Russians. So, here we go again. I lived through this shit once and I don’t want to see it flair up again.

Cap’t Jack

Unlikely.

They may “posture”, but that’s all it will be. The Russian military infrastructure is a complete mess, so is the entire society.

It would take at least another few decades of mass starvation, intimidation and gulag activity to whip them into shape.

Signature