Crazy Colored tape..Who let the Chiropractors in the Olympics
Posted: 08 August 2012 06:22 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2188
Joined  2007-04-26

Anyone who has been watching the Olympics even a little must have noticed the crazy tape that many of them are wearing.

ctm_0807_OLYMPIC_TAPE_480x360.jpg
2012-07-31T154701Z_01_OLYPSQ40_RTRIDSP_3_OLY-SCIENCE-TAPE-DAY4.jpg
0,,16148759_401,00.jpg

It called Kinesiology tape and is a chiropractic invention.

http://www.dw.de/dw/article/0,,16148692,00.html

http://todayhealth.today.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/08/07/13168398-what-is-with-that-weird-tape-olympians-are-wearing?lite

I guess i shouldn’t be surprised that athletes have fallen for this nonsense. They aren’t there for an intelligence competition and the colors are very pretty.

Signature 

For every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, obvious,.... and just plain wrong

Posted: 08 August 2012 08:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  4807
Joined  2007-10-05
macgyver - 08 August 2012 06:22 PM

I guess i shouldn’t be surprised that athletes have fallen for this nonsense. They aren’t there for an intelligence competition and the colors are very pretty.

What? I thought athletes were selected for their critical thinking skills.

Signature 

“In the beginning, God created the universe. This has made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.”
Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Posted: 09 August 2012 01:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  2679
Joined  2011-04-24

Nice scam.

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 09 August 2012 05:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29

Thanks for posting this, macgyver. I was wondering what those things were. Europeans may be a lot less religious than the rest of the world, but when it comes to this stuff, they are as bad as everybody else. It’s just that their superstitious beliefs are so much more expensive than the cross around the neck or the thanking to Jesus of the rest of the athletes.

Posted: 09 August 2012 06:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  3154
Joined  2011-08-15

I also wonder if atheletes, who are intensely competitive would see or hear of another competitor with this stuff and think that it may give their opponent an edge, so I’d better try it too! Or everybody’s doing it so I’ll tape myself up and see if it works. People do stupid things because they don’t research them first. And if their coaches pushed it on them then shame on them. Or as the article says, maybe it’s just self expression like George mentioned. Why not? 50cent did it. Cheap bling!

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 09 August 2012 06:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15368
Joined  2006-02-14

IIRC a couple of years ago sports was replete with people wearing silly plastic “Power Balance” bracelets. One quackery fad passes, another replaces it. I’m sure the bracelets will be back in a few years, under a different name.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 09 August 2012 09:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

If they believe it helps, shouldn’t they be disqualified for doing something equivalent to doping?  LOL

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 09 August 2012 09:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29
Occam. - 09 August 2012 09:00 AM

If they believe it helps, shouldn’t they be disqualified for doing something equivalent to doping?  LOL

Occam

No. Taking an Advil wouldn’t be considered doping either.

But you know what I’ve been thinking? If it works the way a placebo does, it may temporarily relief them of pain and help them to concentrate on their performance. Placebos won’t heal a damaged muscle, but they can calm one down for a short period of time, no?

Posted: 20 January 2013 10:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Total Posts:  7684
Joined  2008-04-11
sherry schultz - 20 January 2013 10:36 PM

The specific placement of Kinseio Tex Tape on the body affects the muscular, lymphatic/circulatory and neural systems as well as providing support for joints.

....and you, my dear, appear to be a spammer!

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 29 May 2013 07:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Total Posts:  4257
Joined  2010-08-15

http://www.mensfitness.com/leisure/sports/10-most-superstitious-athletes

Michael Jordan believed the mesh marvels brought him luck.

Jason Terry’s compulsion has left JET desperately tracking down the right trunks on a bad night, but a network of equipment managers and fellow players usually hook Terry up.

Boggs’ undying allegiance to his superstitions helped lead him to one of the finest pro baseball careers of all time.

Patrick Roy the former Montreal Canadien would skate backwards towards the net before turning around at the last second—an act he believed made the goal shrink.

And I’m not going to even mention UFC Light Heavyweight Champion Lyoto Machida’s thing

Cheers,  tongue wink

Signature 

How many times do lies need to be exposed
before we have permission to trash them?

Posted: 29 May 2013 02:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Total Posts:  3052
Joined  2011-11-04

Kenisio tape is commonly used by physical therapists.  The research on its efficacy appears to be limited, but what has been done (that i could tell) reports no evidence of treatment efficacy except in reducing short term pain. e.g.,  http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23558699

Even so, for athletes competing at the top level in the world, any advantage in short term pain relief or any otherwise percieved advantage could conceivably make a difference in their performance. 

That is not to say that it’s wide spread use does not meet the level of “scammery” if it purports to do anything other than relieve short term pain, at least based on the apparent evidence so far.

Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

Posted: 29 May 2013 06:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Total Posts:  2188
Joined  2007-04-26
TimB - 29 May 2013 02:53 PM

Kenisio tape is commonly used by physical therapists.  The research on its efficacy appears to be limited, but what has been done (that i could tell) reports no evidence of treatment efficacy except in reducing short term pain. e.g.,  http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23558699

Even so, for athletes competing at the top level in the world, any advantage in short term pain relief or any otherwise percieved advantage could conceivably make a difference in their performance. 

That is not to say that it’s wide spread use does not meet the level of “scammery” if it purports to do anything other than relieve short term pain, at least based on the apparent evidence so far.

Thanks for the link Tim. Unfortunately its difficult to assess the conclusions since this the details of the individual studies are not available without access to the full article so its tough to know how many people were included, what kind of control was used, and how significant the difference was between the two groups.
Here’s another review that came to the opposite conclusion: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23306413

Signature 

For every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, obvious,.... and just plain wrong

Posted: 30 May 2013 02:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Total Posts:  3052
Joined  2011-11-04

Right, overall, the research, thus far shows no long term effects, though even the study that you cited indicated some minimal evidence of a short term effect.  (My guess is that it is just a relatively successful placebo effect.)  Nevertheless I can’t fault athletes for using any allowable edge, even if they might look a little silly using a placebo.

Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.