Man powered Plane
Posted: 08 August 2012 06:32 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  207
Joined  2011-09-23

Do we have a man powered Plane which could be used by “normal” people who are in a good condition but who are not professional bike-athletes, or bike-athletes an very small/light weighted?

Could this ever become some sort of transportation over long distances for the average Joe?

Posted: 08 August 2012 06:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2188
Joined  2007-04-26

The answer is no and probably not. There have been human power aircraft but they were very large wingspan craft made of fragile materials and powered by well trained athletes at relatively low altitudes. Unfortunately human beings have a high weight to power ratio which is a handicap when you want to fly. For a human powered craft to fly you need a very light plane and a very fit athlete. I’m sure an aeronautical engineer could do the math for you but I doubt a weekend athlete is ever going to pull a human powered flying machine out of his garage and commute to work in it.

Signature 

For every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, obvious,.... and just plain wrong

Posted: 09 August 2012 01:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  207
Joined  2011-09-23

Damn, i hoped it would work with that nano-foam

Posted: 09 August 2012 03:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2188
Joined  2007-04-26

You most likely mean “aerogel”. Really cool stuff but it isnt much good for building structures like air frames. Its not nearly stiff enough or strong enough.

Signature 

For every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, obvious,.... and just plain wrong