2 of 4
An ello from the buckle of the bible belt.
Posted: 10 August 2012 06:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2886
Joined  2011-08-15

Yeah, I’m not sure if he’d like me talking about him, but he actually teaches at my school and refereed me to the site. I’ve had him as a teacher in at least one class since I got to high school, and had his wife in middle school so I know him well actually.

Yes, I’ve been reading your posts V. You may already know that they retired me this year. I’m being replaced by another former student I had at the high school and at O.U. Southern. He’ll make a great teacher and I hope you have the opportunity to meet him. I’m going to miss you guys of course but will still be by on occasion to bring my well thumbed copies of Skeptic and Free Inquiry to pass around. Learn what you can, challenge your teachers And let them challenge you. and for what info you’re after this is the site to visit and participate. Good bye and good luck to all of you.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 10 August 2012 08:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Total Posts:  3799
Joined  2010-08-15
Thevillageatheist - 10 August 2012 06:41 PM

Good bye and good luck to all of you.

Cap’t Jack

ohh
just because you retired, don’t mean you can’t still hang out here       cheese

Signature 

How many times do lies need to be exposed
before we have permission to trash them?

Posted: 11 August 2012 05:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Joined  2011-08-15

just because you retired, don’t mean you can’t still hang out here      

In all honesty CC, I’m really going to miss it. Teaching has been part if my life for 36 years and I’ll miss the interaction with the students. I learned from them every day and looked forward to challenging them and being challenged by them. It was fun and I enjoyed sharing A small part of their lives. Even afterwards I would hear about them from their relatives and their own children. I wished them all success in life, even the rascals.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

Thomas Paine

Posted: 11 August 2012 06:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2011-11-22

Yeah I read it in the board minutes and thanks Jack, to be honest I learned a lot form you and will miss you greatly. I don’t think I’ll ever have a teacher I looked up to and admired as much as you, but here I am getting sentimental…
It’s a small town, we’ll see each other from time to time and maybe even have the chance to sit down for a chat on occasion.

So see ya around and see you on here.

P.S. Tried to go to the board over the summer but they skipped the month I was free.

Signature 

Veritas Vos Liberbit

Posted: 11 August 2012 06:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Total Posts:  5976
Joined  2009-02-26

Welcome VVL, looking forward to your posts.

Cap’t Jack, you do your signature line proud.

Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 11 August 2012 07:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Total Posts:  9284
Joined  2006-08-29

Sounds to me, Jack, like you just received your Lifetime Achievment Award through the post #19. Congratulations!

Posted: 11 August 2012 10:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Joined  2011-08-15

Thanks and I really appreciate it V, and your kind comments Write and George!

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

Thomas Paine

Posted: 11 August 2012 09:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Total Posts:  7506
Joined  2007-03-02

Howdy, neighbour.  Glad to have you here.  smile

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 13 August 2012 09:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Total Posts:  1191
Joined  2011-08-01

Welcome Veritas! Glad to have you here!

And Jack, how gratifying it must be to have influenced such young minds! I work for a public school district but I am not a teacher. I often think about what it would be like to be able to directly impact young people like you obviously have done. Well done, sir!

Signature 

Free in Kentucky
—Humanist
“I am patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it.”—Edith Sitwell

Posted: 13 August 2012 10:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Joined  2011-08-15

Thanks Free, I still feel that the way to move this country in the direction of secularism is to instruct the kids to think for themselves. We do have a progressive club (started by a close friend and fellow teacher) that the students can join and share news and views from political to religious. I’ll be working with him in the future. And BTW, you can involve yourself with students in your school. There are many ways to do it from forming discussion groups to just sharing your thoughts with them when you have the chance. More than anything, the inquisitive ones need some kind of venue to counter the churches’ enticements created especially for teens; basketball, then slip in the"message” so to speak. It may be more difficult for you not having direct contact with them but it’s worth a thought. damn, now I sound like an atheist missionary! I have told my students to “read your Darwin”!  grin

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

Thomas Paine

Posted: 13 August 2012 01:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Joined  2009-02-26

Cap’t Jack,
I have told my students to “read your Darwin”!

If only we could place a copy of “the origins of species” in every motel room and in every home, then we could say “read your Darwin”.  Else the reply might be, “Huh, who is Darwin?”

Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 13 August 2012 03:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Joined  2011-08-15

If only we could place a copy of “the origins of species” in every motel room and in every home, then we could say “read your Darwin”.  Else the reply might be, “Huh, who is Darwin?”

I’d rather use “The Descent of Man” but that one will do! If only we had a Darwin Society instead of the Gideon’s. grin

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

Thomas Paine

Posted: 13 August 2012 03:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Total Posts:  9284
Joined  2006-08-29

Have you, guys, actually read Darwin’s “Origins?” To the general public this is a completely useless book: most people would never understand it and find unbearably boring. Any one of Dawkins’s book on evolution would be a much better choice; but even there I doubt most people would get passed the first page. Religion and pseudoscience are popular because most people can understand them. Science, OTOH, is hard.

Posted: 13 August 2012 04:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Joined  2011-08-15

Have you, guys, actually read Darwin’s “Origins?” To the general public this is a completely useless book: most people would never understand it and find unbearably boring. Any one of Dawkins’s book on evolution would be a much better choice; but even there I doubt most people would get passed the first page. Religion and pseudoscience are popular because most people can understand them. Science, OTOH, is hard.

Yep. I use an anthology of his books in discussions that include “The Voyage of the Beagle (my all time Darwin favorite), “On the origin of the Species…”, “The Descent of Man”, and “The Expression of the Emotons in Man and Animals”. So far those are the only ones that I have read and as I’m used to the jargon of the Georgian and Victorian eras and the historical time period in which he was writing I can see where literally you’re right George. Yes, Dawkins would be more convincing and his works would be analogous to a new revised version of the bible. And as to science being hard to understand, we need more Sagans and Bill Nyes to make it understandable and exciting to John Q. That’s why scientists are considered “elitist” as you know. people just don’t know the jargon and are lost as you say on the first page. We need to hit them with a novel-like first chapter! Brian Fagan’s book “Cro-Magnon” comes to mind. He captures the reader’s attention with a descriptive story about a Cro-Magnon hunting team (father and son) spotting
Neanderthal hunters. That first chapter literally drew me into the book that was alive with details! So, go for the reality of Dawkins first, then segue into Darwin. Ya really gotta read Darwin at some point in your life; I mean he popularized the theory!

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

Thomas Paine

Posted: 13 August 2012 04:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Joined  2009-02-26
George - 13 August 2012 03:56 PM

Can’t the same be said of the bible?
I had a friend who decided to read the bible from beginning to end. Afterward he told me that he was not sure if this book was written by god and his disciples or by the devil and his minions.
The main difference is that the bible has a superhero who promises to make it all right after you are dead.  Could well be the promise of the devil, no?

Signature 

W4U

2 of 4

‹‹ Lemarc      Reactionary with open mind ››