4 of 4
An ello from the buckle of the bible belt.
Posted: 14 August 2012 07:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 46 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29
Thevillageatheist - 14 August 2012 06:40 PM

God no, I have never read Zoonomia. I read about it and Darwin’s grandfather in different places. From what I have seen, though, I really don’t think it was such a big deal.

Can we at least agree then that his writing (I promise not to call it a theory) had some influence on Darwin who in turn influenced Dawkins who in his turn influenced us? grin

Cap’t Jack

Okay, Jack. We agree.  grin

Posted: 17 August 2012 08:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 47 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2011-11-22

Wow, I didn’t realize that this posting still had a discussion on it.. I feel bad for not contributing.

Signature 

Veritas Vos Liberbit

Posted: 17 August 2012 09:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 48 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

Hey, don’t feel bad.  I’m a moderator and there are some threads I wouldn’t touch with a five to six foot Czech.  LOL

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 18 August 2012 07:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 49 ]
Joined  2006-08-29

Six, Occam.  grin

Posted: 18 August 2012 12:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 50 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

I figured that, but we scientists usually like to give ranges rather than specific numbers.  That way it’s harder to show we made an error.  LOL

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 20 August 2012 09:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 51 ]
Joined  2006-08-29

Jack, check out this new book, Darwin’s Ghosts: The Secret History of Evolution:

Darwin’s Ghosts tells the story of the collective discovery of evolution, from Aristotle, walking the shores of Lesbos with his pupils, to Al-Jahiz, an Arab writer in the first century, from Leonardo da Vinci, searching for fossils in the mine shafts of the Tuscan hills, to Denis Diderot in Paris, exploring the origins of species while under the surveillance of the secret police, and the brilliant naturalists of the Jardin de Plantes, finding evidence for evolutionary change in the natural history collections stolen during the Napoleonic wars.

It’s a “must-read” for both of us. Let’s have Rebecca Scott settle our dispute.  grin

Posted: 20 August 2012 11:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 52 ]
Total Posts:  3210
Joined  2011-08-15

It’s a “must-read” for both of us. Let’s have Rebecca Scott settle our dispute. 

Just read two reviews of the book George and am buying it today. I’ll get into it as soon as I finish Ann Gibbons’ “The First Human”. Lot’s of info on the beginning of paleo anthropology. I had no idea how important The Leaky’s (all of them) were in the field!

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 20 August 2012 11:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 53 ]
Joined  2006-08-29

Yeah, I know. Gibbons’s book is awesome!

Posted: 20 August 2012 11:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 54 ]
Total Posts:  3210
Joined  2011-08-15

It’s really filling in a lot of blanks for me as, and I hate to admit it, most of my knowledge of them came from National Geo. don’t get me wrong, the articles were very informative and the photos are fantastic but until recently I hadn’t read much on the subject. Now I can’t read enough! I daily visit Hawk’s site. Fascinating, especially the Denisovan find!!!

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

4 of 4

‹‹ Lemarc      Reactionary with open mind ››