Posting thread responses to personal sites
Posted: 09 August 2012 05:13 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4860
Joined  2007-10-05

Does CFI have an official policy about people copying-and-pasting portions of threads to their personal websites? I was browsing Rev GL King’s site and noticed he had posted part of a discussion we had in the WILLpower thread. If this is not against forum policy I will send him a PM and let him know I consider it unethical.

Signature 

You cannot have a rational conversation with someone who holds irrational beliefs.

Posted: 09 August 2012 05:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

Doug will be the one to answer this, but I certainly agree, Darron.  Prior to copying anything to another site, one absolutely should get permission from the author(s).

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 09 August 2012 06:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15435
Joined  2006-02-14

We have made no official policy about copying public stuff from here to elsewhere; the policy we have is about posting *private* discussions here without authorization from all parties.

Perhaps the Rev will be so good as to take down personal information that you don’t want reposted.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 09 August 2012 06:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Joined  2007-10-05

I’ll contact him and let him know this is a breach of Internet protocol. He should have at least asked, or stricken my name from the pasting.

Signature 

You cannot have a rational conversation with someone who holds irrational beliefs.

Posted: 09 August 2012 07:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15435
Joined  2006-02-14

To me, what’s most important is that any public discussions not be quoted out of context. If the context is preserved, and if a link to the original is included, then I don’t see the problem. After all, what we want is for discussions to percolate. But if contexts are chopped to distort what’s being said, or if no linking is included so nobody knows where to check, then I can see at least potential ethical issues.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 09 August 2012 07:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Joined  2007-10-05

It is quite possible I am overreacting to the Rev’s annoying tendencies. If I was afraid of people knowing I what I post I would use a pseudonym.

Signature 

Posted: 10 August 2012 08:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Total Posts:  1423
Joined  2010-04-22

Darron, did you have any particular issue with anything that you wrote that he posted on his site?

Signature 

“All musicians are subconsciously mathematicians.”

- Thelonious Monk

Posted: 10 August 2012 08:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Joined  2007-10-05

No issue with what he posted. The Rev just copied and pasted from a thread, and the formatting makes it very difficult to read. As I said yesterday, I may be overreacting.

Signature 

‹‹ Incompetence      Nature and Environment ››