1 of 3
The Republican Ticket - to a Far Right Wing America
Posted: 11 August 2012 02:25 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3052
Joined  2011-11-04

Until now, we have had no idea of Mitt Romney’s political agenda, as it changes with any gently shifting political breeze that he happens to be exposed to at any given moment.  We do however, clearly know Paul Ryan’s political agenda and thus by virtue of his selection as VP running mate, we know Romney’s.  We know that Ryan would cut spending by about $5 trillion over 10 years — from Medicaid, food stamps, welfare and other social programs — and then turn around and award some $4 trillion in tax cuts to the richest Americans. 

If the Republicans are able to use their advantage in money (aka free speech) to deluge (with political and attack ads) enough independents in swing states into voting for their their failed far right wing economic agenda, then we will face, possibly, decades more of a dwindling middle class, and growing poor class.  The right wing Supreme Court appointments they will be able to make with another Republican administration in the next 4 to 8 years will insure that we will have a government that is rigorously controlled by monied interests even moreso than it is today.

[ Edited: 11 August 2012 02:28 AM by TimB ]
 Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

Posted: 11 August 2012 02:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  2651
Joined  2011-04-24

Isn’t it possible that the middle class is just stupid and lazy, and by that, are destined to become more poor.

Rather then blaming the boogyman republicans for stealing the little people’s money.

Maybe the little people are screwed because they are “little people”.

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 11 August 2012 05:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15356
Joined  2006-02-14

Blaming the victim does just what greedy want us to do.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 11 August 2012 05:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  3102
Joined  2011-08-15

Isn’t it possible that the middle class is just stupid and lazy, and by that, are destined to become more poor.

Rather then blaming the boogyman republicans for stealing the little people’s money.

If I could kick the middle class for one thing it would be complacency! I get so tired of people not knowing their government and how it works. Stupid? In this case, yes. Ask anyone on the street who the vice pres. Is and you’ll gt a blank stare. Ask who is the first draft pick for the Steeler’s and you’ll get an immediate answer. The powers that be play on this apathy and gleefully grab the reigns of power while John Q replies huh? What just happened? The spin doctors then invent ways of shepherding the sheeple by turning the election into werewolves and vampires, knowing that’s how the sheeple will respond. We’re now hearing about “team Romney”, and “team Obama”. Few are writing their congressmen or even the president to make them accountable for this mess in D.C.

The only way the middle class is going to be truly effective is to finally grasp the importance of knowing their government and how it we can effect it. Until then it’s bread and circuses for us and power for the kleptocrats. Little people can get screwed until enough of them stand up and and force the powers that be to make pragmatic changes that benefit all of us, not just sideline hot button issues.
And BTW there are also a whole lot of “little people republicans” out there who need to be awakened.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 11 August 2012 09:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Joined  2011-11-04

Republicans and monied interests aren’t “boogymen”.  If you hadn’t noticed they really exist and really have been instrumental in perpetuating a society of more and more of what you call “little people”.

Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

Posted: 11 August 2012 10:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

If we look to other countries for examples, it appears that while the middle class is happily asleep, their liberties and net worth are quietly taken from them.  Finally, when things get so bad, they awaken and revolt (unfortunately, often not rationally).  It seems to me that we are going in that direction, and if Ryan wins the election (it’ll be another Bush run by Cneney situation) the movement in that direction will be greatly accelerated.

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 11 August 2012 05:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Joined  2011-04-24
Thevillageatheist - 11 August 2012 05:57 AM

If I could kick the middle class for one thing it would be complacency! I get so tired of people not knowing their government and how it works. Stupid? In this case, yes. Ask anyone on the street who the vice pres. Is and you’ll gt a blank stare. Ask who is the first draft pick for the Steeler’s and you’ll get an immediate answer. The powers that be play on this apathy and gleefully grab the reigns of power while John Q replies huh? What just happened? The spin doctors then invent ways of shepherding the sheeple by turning the election into werewolves and vampires, knowing that’s how the sheeple will respond. We’re now hearing about “team Romney”, and “team Obama”. Few are writing their congressmen or even the president to make them accountable for this mess in D.C.

The only way the middle class is going to be truly effective is to finally grasp the importance of knowing their government and how it we can effect it. Until then it’s bread and circuses for us and power for the kleptocrats. Little people can get screwed until enough of them stand up and and force the powers that be to make pragmatic changes that benefit all of us, not just sideline hot button issues.
And BTW there are also a whole lot of “little people republicans” out there who need to be awakened.

Cap’t Jack

Exactly.

It just becomes a comedy routine on “Leno” - asking totally ignorant people on the street important questions, and hearing their moronic answers.

Few people, especially in my age group, take anything seriously.

Signature 

Posted: 11 August 2012 05:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Joined  2011-04-24
TimB - 11 August 2012 09:27 AM

Republicans and monied interests aren’t “boogymen”.  If you hadn’t noticed they really exist and really have been instrumental in perpetuating a society of more and more of what you call “little people”.

Of course they do.

It is social darwinism in action.

Signature 

Posted: 12 August 2012 03:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Joined  2011-11-04
mid atlantic - 11 August 2012 05:39 PM
TimB - 11 August 2012 09:27 AM

Of course they do.

It is social darwinism in action.

Well, we know how society evolved during the French Revolution.  Perhaps that is a similar direction in which we are headed.  Too bad we don’t seem to learn well from history.

Signature 

Posted: 12 August 2012 04:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Total Posts:  3102
Joined  2011-08-15

Well, we know how society evolved during the French Revolution.  Perhaps that is a similar direction in which we are headed.  Too bad we don’t seem to learn well from history.

I hope not; it led to one of the bloodiest periods in European history, killing tens of thousands and turned the French peasants into a revengeful killing machine. Same with the Russian Revolution; only that one led to the deaths of millions. But conditions then were much worse then than now. It’s going to take a major catastrophe to mobilize enough Americans to replicate the French Revolution under the pressure cooker society they created under the First Estate. Although, a massive drought did kick it off. Fortunately the poor aren’t poor enough, yet.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 12 August 2012 12:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Joined  2011-11-04
Thevillageatheist - 12 August 2012 04:54 AM

I hope not; it led to one of the bloodiest periods in European history, killing tens of thousands and turned the French peasants into a revengeful killing machine. Same with the Russian Revolution; only that one led to the deaths of millions. But conditions then were much worse then than now. It’s going to take a major catastrophe to mobilize enough Americans to replicate the French Revolution under the pressure cooker society they created under the First Estate. Although, a massive drought did kick it off. Fortunately the poor aren’t poor enough, yet.

Cap’t Jack

Whether our decline will be catasrophic or gradual, it is clear to me that the extreme right wing agenda that this Republican ticket represents can be a catalyst for things going badly again, economically.  We barely averted a 2nd Great Depression.  In some ways, we are less prepared for such a catasrophe than the Americans of the early 20th cwntury. (e.g., we are no longer, primarily an agricultural society).

The Romney/Ryan estreme right wing economic agenda includes ridding us of the safety net of Medicare (privatizing it, thus, oops, if the private companies that administer it, go bankrupt after they have sucked up sufficient wealth, well, too bad for the individuals covered). 

Oh, and the hard won improvements to our failing healthcare system, the Affordable Health Care Act, aka Obamacare, they plan to dismantle it.

Romney/Ryan are poster boys for continuing to support the wealthiest while undermining the rest in our economy.  And if they win, they will owe their victory to powerful money.

Maybe the catastrophe that leads to Revolution will not be in my lifetime, but I think Romney/Ryan is a ticket to that eventual destination.

Signature 

Posted: 12 August 2012 02:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Total Posts:  7665
Joined  2008-04-11

Creating an Oligarchy at best…..(worse)...

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 12 August 2012 03:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Total Posts:  423
Joined  2012-02-02

Someone did a study not too long ago, which compared successful nations to similar nations which were less successful.  According to them, what made the difference as to why one nation developed successfully and the other didn’t, was in how much money the lower classes were able to keep.  If the poor constantly had their money taken from them, be it by taxation or by being forced to pay bribes, or just outright having it stolen from them by the government, big corporations, or the wealthy, then the nation would remain poor.

If, on the other hand, the poor were allowed to keep what they earned, and didn’t have to worry about the more powerful elements of society taking it from them, the nation would develop and prosper.

Posted: 12 August 2012 03:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Total Posts:  472
Joined  2007-06-08

Paul Ryan’s father died when he was young—still in high school.  As a result he received social security surivor benefits from the government.  He used those funds to go to college (Miami of Ohio).  Like his favorite “philosopher,” Ayn Rand, who also received government benefits in the form of medicare (while she was dieing of cancer as a result of her use of amphetamines and cigarettes), Ryan believes that the poor and the working class should not benefit from the “hard work” of the rich, “producing” class.  Thus his ideology leads him to propose policies that would effectively dismantle the social safety net.  Yet, he would likely not have acheived the success he has were it not for the benefit of that exact same social safety net that he now proposes to dismantle.  Anyone else find this hipocritical?

Posted: 12 August 2012 04:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Total Posts:  472
Joined  2007-06-08

Oops.  I meant “hypocritical.”  And to add to that: Paul Ryan’s mom is on medicare.

Posted: 12 August 2012 10:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Joined  2011-11-04
Pragmatic Naturalist - 12 August 2012 03:39 PM

Paul Ryan’s father died when he was young—still in high school.  As a result he received social security surivor benefits from the government.  He used those funds to go to college (Miami of Ohio).  Like his favorite “philosopher,” Ayn Rand, who also received government benefits in the form of medicare (while she was dieing of cancer as a result of her use of amphetamines and cigarettes), Ryan believes that the poor and the working class should not benefit from the “hard work” of the rich, “producing” class.  Thus his ideology leads him to propose policies that would effectively dismantle the social safety net.  Yet, he would likely not have acheived the success he has were it not for the benefit of that exact same social safety net that he now proposes to dismantle.  Anyone else find this hipocritical?

I was able to get an undergraduate degree by virtue of the GI Bill due to my dad being a totally disabled veteran of WWII.  (I worked my way through grad school.) I chose to spend my working life in one of the “helping fields” rather than a “money accumulating field” such as Romney or Ryan, for that matter. I have paid my share of taxes. I know that government programs can work.  I don’t see how Paul Ryan and Ayn Rand could not see that.  So for them, I guess money accumulation is/was a more powerful motivator than social responsibility.

Signature 

1 of 3