1 of 4
Philosophy of HOLISTIC HEALTH—health of body, mind and spirit (soma, psyche & pneuma)
Posted: 12 August 2012 02:58 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  193
Joined  2011-12-30

HEALTH OF BODY, MIND AND SPIRIT—past, present and future
===================================================
If anyone knows of another thread which has the same theme as this one, please, as I do not wish to have a duplication, let me know. Why my interest in health issues—something which I feel should be of interest to all of us on the good ship Earth?

Probably it is because by the time I was five—BTW, I was then number seven of five boys and three girls—everyone in the area in which I lived, who were mature enough, had already experienced too many visits from the Grim Reaper.

The over-all cause?

Looking back, I now realize that much of the pain, suffering and death suffered by the people of Bell Island—nine miles north of St.John’s—and by Newfoundlanders, was caused by the Dickensian-kind of poverty—even among the working poor. It was an unhealthy and an unsafe set of living conditions, including the bad nutritional habits of the poor—ninety-eight percent of the population. That was in an area with all kinds of resources. Only the top few members of the well-off upper class had ready access to the few hospitals and to the small number of fee-for service medical doctors available to serve them. What we, today, call Medicare—which, BTW, needs reform—was a far off vision.

Yes, even after the Titanic disaster off Newfoundland, 1912, there were weather-related deaths at sea—much loss of life during the long Battle of the Atlantic. In 1942 (I was 12) four iron-ore carriers were sunk not far from our home. Sixty-nine seamen lost their lives. I saw the bodies lined up on the beech near by. For details of the story, check out http://www.bellisland.net.

Also, in our area, there we unsafe conditions in the iron-ore mines—the main employer of our one-company town of about 10,000 people, including 2,100 miners. In addition, before modern drugs there there were serious infections, especially tuberculosis.

My family? Unhealthy conditions led to the deaths of my oldest brother, my sister, the husband of my sister, her only two children and our mother (father died in 1944—miner’s lung). Because of this, for as long as I can remember, I have been curious about what makes for good health of body, mind and spirit, and what we need to know and do in order to make it that way for all of us.

From the time I learned to read, I enjoyed the art. Then along came the radio—for me that was 1936—and especially the movies—two small movie houses opened in the 1920’s in our iron-ore mining town. Children could get in at The Nickle for 5 cents. What was your experience?

Such stories—some helpful and some not so helpful—came, and come, in all forms of the media. Some are fiction and some are about real and gifted people truly interested in making the world a democratically-secular and better one for all of us. Of course, I assume most people love stories—real or fiction—about strong and healthy heroes and heroines.

But, what about the also-rans? And the villains? Many of them populate our literature, including even the books of the Bible. Some came as heroes, to the rescue us, but many came came to enslave us. Regardless of our past, NOW, is the future of which we dreamed ... Which prompts me to ask: What kind of future do we now have in mind?

[ Edited: 10 February 2013 09:21 PM by RevLGKing ]

Posted: 27 November 2012 09:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Joined  2011-12-30

Below is a rhyme, which I wrote recently. It is on what I call The Spectrum of Life:

THE SPECTRUM OF LIFE—I use this kind of Mantra Meditation, as needed. It helps me deal with the stresses of life.
http://www.wildmind.org/mantras

Definition of Mantra Meditation

The word mantra is said to come from a root meaning “that which protects the mind.” In Buddhist meditation, many things can be used as objects of concentration — as “mind protectors.” 

“Throughout history, cultures have believed in the sacred power of words…” 

BUDDHISM takes a non-theistic approach to religion (philosophy of life) and does not require believers to believe in a god.
=====================

THE SPECTRUM OF LIFE

The primary colours are red, yellowyellow and blue.

Now, let us ask: What do they do?

I trust you are willing to take time to see

What colours can do for you and for me?

Blue skies remind me who I AM and should be. .....................(Blue symbolizes consciousness)

Next with the help of the sun’s golden glow, ......................(Yellow symbolizes knowledge & wisdom)

I AM reminded to think, know and grow.

Red blood reminds me, hour after hour, ................................(Red symbolizes energy and power)

Within and around there is infinite power. .............................................. (Earth’s magma is blood red)

G-Õ-D ... is the symbol I use to point to

All that’s in tune with the heavenly blue.

Every morning, this mantra I say.

It helps me to welcome each colourful day.
================================

Sorry but blue is reserved for official moterator communications.  Please change the blue items above to some other color.  — Occam

Since you didn’t change them when given the chance, I’ve changed them.

[ Edited: 10 February 2013 09:25 PM by RevLGKing ]

Posted: 28 November 2012 05:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29

Yes, blood is red, but it is not a primary colour (and neither is blue). So I guess that proves that God doesn’t exist.

Posted: 28 November 2012 08:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  3063
Joined  2010-04-26

Depends on what you’re mixing which mixing method you’re using.  When you’re adding them together to make new ones using light (like in old CRTs) then, yes, both blue and red are primary colors.  They’re also primaries in certain methods of pigment mixing.  See?

Signature 

“In the end nature is horrific and teaches us nothing.” -Mutual of Omicron

Posted: 28 November 2012 08:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Joined  2006-08-29
Dead Monky - 28 November 2012 08:30 AM

Depends on what you’re mixing which mixing method you’re using.  When you’re adding them together to make new ones using light (like in old CRTs) then, yes, both blue and red are primary colors.

The red colour of blood is not based on RGB.

They’re also primaries in certain methods of pigment mixing.  See?

If you are talking about RYB, notice that they put “primary” in quotes. They are not really primary colours.

RYB is the compatibilist version of primary colours. IOW, it’s BS.  grin

Posted: 28 November 2012 08:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Joined  2010-04-26
George - 28 November 2012 08:44 AM

The red colour of blood is not based on RGB.

Indeed.  Though if I wanted to be an annoying ass I could go into a long spiel about how it is too since when we see it the light’s reflecting off it and….blah blah blah. LOL

If you are talking about RYB, notice that they put “primary” in quotes. They are not really primary colours.

RYB is the compatibilist version of primary colours. IOW, it’s BS.  grin

True enough.  Though BS it may be, RYB will stick around because of tradition.  And really, it’s what most folks think of when they think of “primary colors”.

Signature 

Posted: 28 November 2012 09:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Joined  2006-08-29
Dead Monky - 28 November 2012 08:52 AM

Though if I wanted to be an annoying ass I could go into a long spiel about how it is too since when we see it the light’s reflecting off it and….blah blah blah. LOL

Go for it! grin I doubt the reason why you won’t give it a try is because you don’t want to be annoying. It’s really not as easy as it may seem.

Posted: 28 November 2012 09:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Joined  2010-04-26

You’re right!  It’s beause I don’t care!  Also because I wanted to use it as a set up for what I wrote because it made me chuckle.  Mostly the not caring though. grin

EDIT
Oh yeah, and because I don’t know enough the subjects involved to even know where to begin.

Also, tacos.

Signature 

Posted: 28 November 2012 03:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Joined  2011-12-30

Depends on what you’re mixing which mixing method you’re using.  When you’re adding them together to make new ones using light (like in old CRTs) then, yes, both blue and red are primary colors.  They’re also primaries in certain methods of pigment mixing.  See?

Isn’t yellow, as a pigment, a primary colour? DM, I make no claim that am an expert in the physics and/or chemistry of colour-mixing. Thanks for any help that any experts have to give.

Because of my interest in drawing, oil painting and water colours, with the help of a few lessons from an artist, way back. He taught me the basics of mixing pigments and I have had fun over the decades. My daughter, Catherine, and her husband, Wayne, earn a basic living as artists. Check out floating homes, Tofino, BC.
http://www.gerritbotha.com/odds—ends/videos/video-freedom-cove-float-ho.html

Not rich, yet, the King/Adams team earn part of their living from tourists who visit Tofino—a beautiful area—and ask to see this living work of art. Conceived with the birth of Wayne (1948) and Catherine (1956), It was born in 1992—the year my wife and I first saw it. Then it was one small building, just big enough to sleep four people.
http://browningpass.com/freedom-cove-tour-tofino/

[ Edited: 28 November 2012 03:52 PM by RevLGKing ]

Posted: 29 November 2012 09:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Joined  2010-04-26

I dunno.  Ask George.  He seems to know about this than I do.  I was mostly just being snarky.

Signature 

Posted: 29 November 2012 09:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Joined  2006-08-29
Dead Monky - 29 November 2012 09:09 AM

I dunno.  Ask George.  He seems to know about this than I do.  I was mostly just being snarky.

He has me on ignore. That’s why he probably thought you were talking to him, since he can’t see my posts. But it doesn’t really matter, does it?  smirk

Posted: 29 November 2012 09:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Joined  2010-04-26

Not especially.

Signature 

Posted: 29 November 2012 08:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Joined  2011-12-30
Dead Monky - 29 November 2012 09:09 AM

You mean you like being critical; cutting; testy. If it gives you pleasure, enjoy!  cool smile But what can I hope to learn from it?

BTW, have you read RELIGION FOR ATHEISTS—The nonbelievers guide to spirituality? I heard an interesting interview about it on the CBC—our public radio here in Canada.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/2012/03/26/f-vp-handler-botton-atheists.html

[ Edited: 29 November 2012 08:39 PM by RevLGKing ]

Posted: 30 November 2012 12:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Total Posts:  3347
Joined  2011-11-04

Rev, Thanks for that link.  I think that religion is largely a natural phenomenon, perhaps attributable, in part, to some of the same mechanisms that promote our tribal instincts. I don’t know that I buy in to all of what le Botton is suggesting, but it is interesting.

Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

Posted: 30 November 2012 10:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Joined  2011-12-30
TimB - 30 November 2012 12:01 AM

Rev, Thanks for that link.  I think that religion is largely a natural phenomenon, perhaps attributable, in part, to some of the same mechanisms that promote our tribal instincts. I don’t know that I buy in to all of what le Botton is suggesting, but it is interesting.

Good points, Tim. It is my opinion that much of our human suffering and pain is the result of divisive tribalism, politics, economics and philosophies of religion—especially religions of the kind which claims that it only has the key to The Truth.

With the above in mind, I am hopefully optimistic that it is possible for rational, moral and ethical people, of good faith and good will, to have a dialogue—the sharing of information and opinions—leading to solutions. What is your opinion?

Posted: 30 November 2012 12:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Total Posts:  3347
Joined  2011-11-04
RevLGKing - 30 November 2012 10:08 AM
TimB - 30 November 2012 12:01 AM

Good points, Tim. It is my opinion that much of our human suffering and pain is the result of divisive tribalism, politics, economics and philosophies of religion—especially religions of the kind which claims that it only has the key to The Truth.

With the above in mind, I am hopefully optimistic that it is possible for rational, moral and ethical people, of good faith and good will, to have a dialogue—the sharing of information and opinions—leading to solutions. What is your opinion?

I agree with you on this, although I may not be quite as optimistic as you.

Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

1 of 4