3 of 4
Philosophy of HOLISTIC HEALTH—health of body, mind and spirit (soma, psyche & pneuma)
Posted: 30 November 2012 11:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3330
Joined  2011-11-04
George - 30 November 2012 10:21 PM

The first part is right. I am not sure about the second part, though. When you mix all the colors of light you’ll get white. A white sheet of paper “is” white becuase none of the colors got absorbed by the paper and all of the light bounced off to your eyes. When you are looking at a black sheet of paper, you are literarily seeing nothing, as the paper ate all the light.

Hence the saying (that I just made up):

If light hits on white, it comes back to your sight.
But if light hits on black, it doesn’t come back.

Anyhooo… Am I correct in thinking that the primary colors for reflected light are RYB, and the primary colors for non-reflected light are RGB?

Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

Posted: 01 December 2012 07:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29

Light doesn’t hit on white, Tim. Whatever it hits on has no colour. It’s just that the structure of that object won’t allow it to absorb any of the light. The sum of all light reflecting to your eyes is then white.

And I guess you are right about the reflected light, except for saying the primary colors are RYB. They are not. They are cyan, magenta and yellow.

Posted: 01 December 2012 01:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
Joined  2011-11-04
George - 01 December 2012 07:05 AM

Light doesn’t hit on white, Tim. Whatever it hits on has no colour. It’s just that the structure of that object won’t allow it to absorb any of the light. The sum of all light reflecting to your eyes is then white.

And I guess you are right about the reflected light, except for saying the primary colors are RYB. They are not. They are cyan, magenta and yellow.

Well my 7th grade art teacher might be surprised about that. (If she’s still alive).

Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

Posted: 01 December 2012 01:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
Joined  2011-11-04

Things we call white won’t accept the light.
From things that are black, the light won’t come back.

Better?

Signature 

Posted: 01 December 2012 01:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]
Total Posts:  4860
Joined  2007-10-05
George - 01 December 2012 07:05 AM

Depends upon what color system you are using. In additive color systems, such as my old color enlarger and most computer monitors, the primary colors are red, green and blue; hence the RGB designation. In substractive systems, such as some other old color enlargers and most prepress software, the primary colors are cyan, magenta, and yellow with black added for printing; hence the CMYK designation. Red, yellow and blue, or RYB, are the primary colors in painters’ wheels.

All this applies only to human perception as there are technically no primary colors, merely different wavelengths.

[ Edited: 01 December 2012 01:37 PM by DarronS ]
 Signature 

You cannot have a rational conversation with someone who holds irrational beliefs.

Posted: 01 December 2012 01:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]
Joined  2011-11-04
DarronS - 01 December 2012 01:34 PM

...All this applies only to human perception as there are technically no primary colors, merely different wavelengths.

They should teach stuff like this in Jr. High Art classes.  Then it wouldn’t be such an easy knock-off class.

Signature 

Posted: 01 December 2012 02:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]
Joined  2006-08-29

Once again, Darron, RYB are not primary colours. The only reason why they can be used as such in paints is because there is also a white paint, which, technically, is not a colour.

Posted: 01 December 2012 02:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]
Joined  2006-08-29
TimB - 01 December 2012 01:12 PM

From things that are we call black, the light won’t come back.

Better?

Love it! Art is better when it’s right.  grin

Sorry for editing your poem. I hope you still like it.

Posted: 01 December 2012 02:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]
Joined  2011-11-04
George - 01 December 2012 02:16 PM
TimB - 01 December 2012 01:12 PM

From things that are we call black, the light won’t come back.

Better?

Love it! Art is better when it’s right.  grin

Sorry for editing your poem. I hope you still like it.

No problem.  It still has the same pentameter, it still rhymes, and, hopefully, now, is correct.  Truth is even better when it’s art. smile

Signature 

Posted: 01 December 2012 04:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 40 ]
Total Posts:  4860
Joined  2007-10-05
George - 01 December 2012 02:10 PM

Once again, Darron, RYB are not primary colours. The only reason why they can be used as such in paints is because there is also a white paint, which, technically, is not a colour.

I never said RYB made sense.  wink

Signature 

You cannot have a rational conversation with someone who holds irrational beliefs.

Posted: 09 February 2013 08:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 41 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  193
Joined  2011-12-30

author=“RevLGKing” date=“1354313302”]

TimB - 30 November 2012 12:01 AM

...  I am hopefully optimistic that it is possible for rational, moral and ethical people, of good faith and good will, to have a dialogue—the sharing of information and opinions—leading to solutions. What is your opinion?

TimB, in your response you said,

I agree with you on this, although I may not be quite as optimistic as you.

TimB, keep in mind the kind of people of whom I spoke—the kind with whom I love to spend time. They are, as I said, people who are, “rational, moral and ethical people, of good faith and good will”—regardless of the label they may have, or the creed they recite, it is what they are, how they live and what they do that counts.

May I add, that I find that it is kind and gracious optimists who are the kind of people who are good fun to be with—a rare breed, I know. 

Me? By the way, as one with a long way to go, I make no claim that I am there, yet. But I choose to use WILLpower—the greatest human strength—to keep working on it. Also, it is my intent so to be and so to do. Having a dialogue with people like you helps keep me focused on the goal and enjoying the pilgrimage.

[ Edited: 10 February 2013 04:51 PM by RevLGKing ]

Posted: 10 February 2013 01:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 42 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

These red, yellow, blue and similar schemes are merely gimmicks to make it easier to remember.  All of the colors in the visible spectum (rainbow) from red to violet are primary.  Different pigments do absorb and reflect various sections of the spectrum, and their blend of these determine what we see.  Paint companies have spectral analyzers which can examine a sample and spit out a half dozen different pigment blends that will give that color.  The computer will also identify which formulations will be lowest cost, have the greatest exterior durability, and which have metamerism (color changes when viewed under different light such as northern exposure noon sunlight and sunset).

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 10 February 2013 04:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 43 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  193
Joined  2011-12-30

Occam. I mean the one with the period, eh!  What an interesting and colour-filled response. Thanks, eh! As we say in Canada, eh?  LOL

Posted: 11 February 2013 08:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 44 ]
Total Posts:  2602
Joined  2012-10-27
TimB - 30 November 2012 06:58 PM

Ok, I think I’m almost there.  So is this correct?: Mixing all of the colors of filtered light, would result in white, (or maybe, better to say, unfiltered light is white, and filtering separates it into colors).  Whereas mixing all the different color sources of reflected light results in black.

Unless you’re mixing paint.  Mix all colors and you get mud, not white.

Posted: 11 February 2013 09:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 45 ]
Joined  2006-08-29
Lois - 11 February 2013 08:04 AM
TimB - 30 November 2012 06:58 PM

Ok, I think I’m almost there.  So is this correct?: Mixing all of the colors of filtered light, would result in white, (or maybe, better to say, unfiltered light is white, and filtering separates it into colors).  Whereas mixing all the different color sources of reflected light results in black.

Unless you’re mixing paint.  Mix all colors and you get mud, not white.

Tim meant you get white when you mix all light. When all the light gets absorbed, as in black chalkboard, say, no light will be reflected and you’ll see black. He is right, of course.

Where is Tim anyway?

3 of 4